Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I see some people here from XDA who may or may not know me, anyway yeah I want an Android tablet the iRobot takes my fancy but a few things worry me.1) It has so many different names, this is instantly worrying, is it an ePad? aPad? iRobot? who made it cos some places say Eken, others say not Eken. Smells like the T-Mobile exclusive Vairy Touch to me (walk around the corner and Orange has Orange Vegas "exclusive to orange" but...wait...it's the Vairy Touch)2) Android 1.5? Why is it using an outdated version of Android with no hint of an official update to 2.x?3) No 3G internet? Seriously, if the iRobot aPad had that they'd make a huge killing here in the UK especially over Apple with their greedy pricing system.4) Custom SIP keyboards? If anyone here remembers me from XDA you will know I like to tinker around with stuff, does the iRobot have any other touch screen keyboards available on the android market? Or is the default one skin-able?5) Custom lockscreen? Does the iRobot really think its a phone? on the lockscreen i've noticed "No Service" on every picture or video, this sorta thing is nitpicking really but I'd like a custom lockscreen or something.So, is the iRobot worth my money? honestly? Cos I really want one despite my cautiousness.Pros and Cons from actual users would be appreciated.And yes, I am an android newbie.Cheers, Uppy.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hi Uppy.lets see if i have some answers.1) these pads are made in many small factorys that follow more or less the same build plan.some got better quality control some ... none.The most important choice is a reputable seller because they hopefuly choose a better factory and give better support should sometning be not OK with the Device.If you want a Rockchip aPad (iRobot / Moonse e7001) you have to look for the telltale signs:128MB ram (the chip does not support more)Rockchip 2808a with 600MHz + DSP (no, it does not ammount to 1GHz it is a graphic co-processor...)Android 1.5 (sadly Rockchip decided not to release a newer build and also not to release any sources)2) see the last point in 1) ='(RogerBraun is cooking onto something but it will not be a 'clean' 1.6 build because he uses files from the old firmware images.Maybe we can use the sourcetree of the ARM928 (?) because the RC2808 is based on that core but we will not have native support for the DSP and other optimizations in that.3) yea, we all wish =( maybe it is as easy as to ask the 3G stick manufacturer for a Linux driver and drop them into the build but i dont know about that stuff.4) shure, why not custom keyboards. afaik SlideIT works, there also is a chinese keyboard in the stock firmware. It should be no problem.5) jup, it thinks it is a phone =P it has the 'no service' and shows reception bars in the status bar and it is running a 'phone' service in the taskmanager. ^^I think it is a matter of android 1.5. Later Android versions should be more Pad friendly.My easily waveble oppinion at the moment is that you should not go with the Rockchip aPad but with the Telechips version!It has great 3D capabilities (the Rockckip lacks in that totaly)Android 2.1supports 1080p (even if the screen is only 800x480 so it is a total waste of calculating power but saves you converting stuff you already have)BUT there is absolutely no custom firmware for it by now... (in my oppinion only a matter of time)More bang for the buck, same formfactor.It is sold as the Moonse e7002

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, thanks! you answered every question.I can get a telechip but it's ?100 more. I think I will get the iRobot for a month or so to see how I like using a tablet. Just checked out some videos of the Telechip and it does look a lot more impressive. Will have to wait until I get paid though.Thanks again man

1 - 3 of 3 Posts