Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm sure this information is available in the forum somewhere. I searched the thread titles (9 pages) and didn't see a thread dedicated to this (if I missed it, my apologies). So, cutting to the chase, is it possible to replace the internal 4GB Micro SD card with a bigger one???

If so, is there a limitation to the size?

Is there a spec (class 2,3,4,5,6 etc) the card must meet?

Is there a special formatting or partitioning required?

If so, instructions?

If there is a thread already discussing this, please do paste the link in a reply. If not, could you share what you know about this.

Regards all!
Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is my understanding that the spec's limit it to a 32gb. I don't know anyone who has put one in, or read a thread wher that was done. One caution I have read is that the partitioning should be half of the SD card size for it to work...this might be part of the flashed roms though. I don't think the class is that big of a deal since this isn't anything more than an e reader with some limited internet capability and a 256 CPU. I have a 16gb, class 6, external and have no issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
No. What I am saying is that any partitioning done to the card should be half its value. two 4 GB partitions on an 8 GB for example. I believe that someone tried a 32 GB and it wouldn't work but I am not sure if they did a full format before putting it into their Cruz and also did the Cruz format...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can verify that the WPDN works with my 16 gig Patriot SDHC that I just put in it.

And internal storage reports 14,996GB available for use. So the new card lost 1 gig to the OS. That's no biggy!

And to reiterate, all I did was pop the back off, release the memory card latch, pop in the new card, re-latch the slot and boot the PDN. It took a bit to load but the unit booted up and was functioning like a clean unit. Only problem I have now is its running a different ROM than I was using before on my BPDN. Think its a Cruz ROM. I'm new to this but I'm learning fast.

Edit>>>>>>

I spoke too soon!! I got the old firmware off my PDN and put something newer from here on it and now the PDN keeps splitting my 16 gig in half everytime I re-install the 16 gig card. I've tried Kewlguys repartiton utiltity but it doesnt seem to fix my problem. I AM on his newest OS with the 2.02 update added. I'm much happier with that. Just wish I could get my 14.8 gigs worth of storage back.

I even went so far as to pull the card and clean it with diskpart. That made it a full 14.8 gigs free again but once I re-installed it into the PDN it was split back into two 8 gig partitons one which I cant see.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was not able to successfully replace the internal SD card in my reader. It would not work with apps 2 SD. After a week or so it would go into a boot loop. After putting the stock one back in I have had no problems with it.

Sent from my sec_smdk6410 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
No. What I am saying is that any partitioning done to the card should be half its value.
(sorry for the delayed reply...)

Thanks scoutyjones2!

I have a card on order...

I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep my Cruz read or exchange it though (there a part on the bottom part of the screen that's very sensible to pressure and I don't know if it's normal or not (if it's normal I'll keep it otherwise I'll exchange it).

Have a nice day!

Nick

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi,

I would like to prep my internal 2gb MicroSD card on my WPDN to install the Cruz JGM 4.0 800MHz firmware or possibly the official Cruz firmware

Do I just format it (FAT32) or do I need to partition it also?

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
My question on this topic is, can the internal memory card be a micro SDHC? The product specs on the reader guide says "There are two SD card slots, one internal
micro SD and one external SD/SDHC." It doesn't say whether the internal slot is micro SDHC compatible.

I appreciate the help as I just ordered the R101 tonight and want to upgrade the internal capacity.

EDIT:

Also, is it better to have a larger internal microSD card or larger external SD card? I've read where some people have had problems with internal 32G cards, and I've also read about the suggestion of partitioning large internal cards to two equal partitions. Help on this topic would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
32gb internal worked for me
To replace the internal card and assuming you have the back off the device you slide the metal clip down and remove the sd card. The new card needs a FAt32 format ( a brand new card is usually already formatted). For a used card I use the windows SDformatter ( free download from the sd manufacturers association). Choose the erase write (the longest time option).
Now a quick format in windows will probably work since the unbricked cruz can follow the FAT cluster tree table and use non consecutive sectors.A quick format doesn't erase the used sectors it just makes them available to be overwitten when needed. A full erase ensures a pristine factory new condition and is essential for unbricking since the small kernel code available can't handle non consecutive sectors within a file. I put a brand new 32gb micro sd card in an the cruze booted just fine. When tested by letting windows see the card it shows
29.7 gb. Basically the extra capacity is for my mpeg4 files. I haven't tried letting the cruz format the 32gb...usually the kernel formatting is limited...I haven't used it...so it may arbitrarily make 1/2 the disk available.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts