Android Tablets Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good morning to Everyone.
I'd like know which is the process to prepare the Micro-Sd Card.

Forma....¿Aplication?
Insert with a rom?
Etc..
Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you're replacing internal card there's no need to do anything special. Just put the new card into the internal slot, another card with firmware into the external slot and start flushing process (see the reflushing topics). However, after this you will end up with clean device without your old apps and data.

You can also upgrade the card without reflushing, on Linux it looks like this:
1. Insert old card to card reader
2. sudo cat /dev/CARD_DEVICE_NAME > card_image
3. Insert new card to the card reader.
4. sudo cat card_image > /dev/CARD_DEVICE_NAME
5. sudo gparted /dev/CARD_DEVICE_NAME
Resize the FAT32 partition to fill all free space left.
This will preserve all your applications and settings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thankyou for your help.
I will get the tablet next week.
I do not mind having a tablet clean because I have to do many tests to see which applications are most important to me.
The big question I have is knowing which memory card is best for these cases, I have idea to put 16 GB's internal memory and 16 GB's in the external memory (though they may be 32 gb's on the outside).
The doubts I have are the following:
* I have seen that only a person who has installed a memory card 16 gb's. What is the ideal speed for this memory card? Kind 4, Class 6 ...?

* In the external memory can have any memory card? Can we use uan card 32 gb's? Kind of perfect card?

thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
1. A number of brands tried and no one worked good except SanDisk!

2. Only cards up to 16Gb are supported (according to the manufacturer)!

So, to be sure, go for SanDisk 16Gb Class 4.

Although SanDisk has only 4 class microSD but in fact it outperforms "Class 10" cards by other makers when used for tablet's filesystem! Card "class" only signifies sequential write speed which doesn't really matter in this case. It doesn't tell anything about read speed and performance of small random access operations.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just looked at this thread and thought I'd drop this info here if anyone wants it......

Here is the card swap info:

Swap /Extsd to /SDcard without opening the back of the tablet.

Use Root Explorer to modify voId.fstab file

goto: /etc/voId.fstab --> "open in text Editor"

voId.fstab file should look like this:

## Vold 2.0 Generic fstab
## - San Mehat ([email protected])
##

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2
dev_mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto /devices/platform/s3c-sdhci.0/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount udisk /mnt/udisk auto /devices/platform/s5p-ehci/usb1

--Change the line in dev_mount sdcard... both 2's to 0
--Change the line in dev_mount extsd... both 0's to 2
--**Latest firmware may have values reversed to what is shown here. Just change 0's to 2's and 2's to 0's.**
--Save changes

Restart tablet and the extsd card now becomes the main sdcard without having to open up your tablet.

The other reason to do the card swap this way instead of opening up the tablet is when you flash new ROMs, it re-formats the internal card. Just a little more work involved to back up your info. Found out the hard way first time I flashed a new ROM and lost all my files....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

You are saying that there is some issue when using fast SD cards. AFAIK class 4 is just slower than class 10 and there should be no reason for the class 10 to be slower.
So I would rather ask a question: why is it slower? Maybe the current required for that to work is not enough in the internal slot? And then it might be related to the hardware connection on the mobo... If that is the case then we should find cards that are fast and at the same time do not require lot of power.
Just a note for all the people thinking that they could replace the INTERNAL MEMORY... You can't do it in an easy way. There is an internal RAM memory, internal FLASH memory, internal SD card and external SD card. You could replace internal and external SD cards, you could remount them to replace the internal flash. But it is not so easy to replace the internal memory. You could pull off the internal SD card - device should run just fine (although you should get some warning about missing internal SD card or small amount of free disk space).
Regards

·
Registered
7 Posts
i've just installed a DNA 16Gb class 10. tested on windows write up to 16MBps.

i used to have laggy applications especially when installed on extSD... so i've changed it to 8Gb class 10 from DNA.. it totally improves the performance especially on excessing the pictures i have inside the micro SD.

now i'm using 16Gb for my internal SD... just installed genesis rom 2.3

Nand Memory now shows 12.96GB

Internal Storage only 1.23GB..

kinda confused here...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just ordered this tablet. Is it true that this tablet only support a internal sd card to 16gb? Had a Flytouch 3 and hated that tablet. Do I flash the same way-Power down and insert the sd card with the firmware and then power up? Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
There is an alternative method from having to open tablet to replace the internal sdcard.

Check out the CFW 'Tsunami' in the firmware development section.
Simply select a lager micro sdcard, make sure that it is formatted in Fat32, copy the entire extracted folder of the firmware to it, place in the TF slot, then boot up with Power + Menu buttons.
The firmware, apps + data, are all working from this sdcard.
If more storage is needed later on, simply duplicate the whole content on this sdcard onto a larger one, plug it in, the boot up normally.

I've tried 4, 8, 16 and 32 GB class 4 sdcards. All worked well.

This is a new scheme and is unique for the CFW Tsunami at the moment. Perhaps it would appeal to some, or to many.

Dave

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is an alternative method from having to open tablet to replace the internal sdcard.

Check out the CFW 'Tsunami' in the firmware development section.
Simply select a lager micro sdcard, make sure that it is formatted in Fat32, copy the entire extracted folder of the firmware to it, place in the TF slot, then boot up with Power + Menu buttons.
The firmware, apps + data, are all working from this sdcard.
If more storage is needed later on, simply duplicate the whole content on this sdcard onto a larger one, plug it in, the boot up normally.

I've tried 4, 8, 16 and 32 GB class 4 sdcards. All worked well.

This is a new scheme and is unique for the CFW Tsunami at the moment. Perhaps it would appeal to some, or to many.

Dave
Can this be used to revive a dead tablet? (black screen, no sign of life, only battery indicator works).

·
Registered
143 Posts
nightwing, plug your tablet into a computer using the otg port and the mini usb to usb cable. then toggle the power switch and tell me if your computer can see the tablet as a storage device. We shall try this 1 step at a time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
nightwing, plug your tablet into a computer using the otg port and the mini usb to usb cable. then toggle the power switch and tell me if your computer can see the tablet as a storage device. We shall try this 1 step at a time.
Thank you Thaigir99, I really appreciate this. I plugged in the tablet in three computers, no luck. Before it was bricked, i could see the tablet as a storage device. Now, nothing. Waiting for next step from you. Stay blessed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
return it. from your past posts, you have tried everything possible. your machine either has a bad nand chip, or another internal problem. You have switched sd cards, tried flashing the original software, and still no signs of life. I dont want to tell you to follow the guide to recover from a "hard brick", as you have. If you want to send your tab to me, I live in California, USA, I will gladly try to bring it back to life, but can give no guarantee. At this point, I am sure you are willing to try anything. I am interested whether or not your machin has a nand chip. Opening the maachine is touchy, but I opened mine to increase the sd card and to poke around to see which model I have. Turns out I have the nand chip. I believe those who bought the dropad[mines a herotab with no markings] have no nand chip, which makes a difference in reviving them from dead. Anyway, should you return it, Im sorry you wasted so much time. If you dont, wheteher it be me or someone else, let another pair of eyes/hands try.
I can tell you this is a fabulous device, its a shame you have not gotten to enjoy it and the roms the devs have put out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did anyone noticed a performance drop with replaced SD card?
I tried KingMax 16Gb Class 10 and it worked totally awful. Image Gallery just couldn't finish scanning my photos directory, although I gave it few minutes to finish. When used with PC, the card writes big files at 10Mb/s but takes long time to close file (i.e. stucks when syncing FAT). Maybe it's just a bad specimen of a card? But, when the same card is inserted into external slot, it works much better!
Will Kingston Class 10 do better (it's also twice more expensive)?
the higher the class rating on an SD card means that it Writes and Reads LARGE files faster and better, the lower the class, the smaller files it writes and reads better. so in these particular cases, with the SD card being the "Internal storage" and holding the rom and everything, the lower class (4-6) would be the BEST, as for the extSD, a higher class would be better suited here than the lesser.

If i'm not mistaking.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a FYI for some folks. I received my Dropad last week. Market was limited and many of the apps stated that they were incompatible. It also would fully recognize my 32gb micro sd card. It would recognize it but not the storage and none of the files were recognized. Just bought a PNY 16gb card and everything now works. The 32gb card worked fine with a Flytouch 3. I suspect that my Dropad only supports 16gb and under external cards. I plan on changing out the internal card soon. Can I use the old internal card to flash the firmware again? Or do I have to wipe it clean and place a copy of the firmware on the card? Thanks Joseph

·
Registered
25 Posts
I replaced my internal SD with a sandisk 32g (external is a 32g sandisk too) both are class 4. i am also running tsunami 1.8 i checked out the antutu benchmark and these are my results. and its reading at just over 60 gb total usable memory (take that ipad!)

Ram 380
CPU Integer 682
"" Float Point 170
2D Graphics 284
3D 1196
DIO 375

SD Card Write (5.3 MB/s) 53 (grr)
SD Card Read 14.4 MB/s) 144 (just fine for me)

Total 3284

41 - 60 of 62 Posts