Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi,

Anyone know how to install application on to the SD card and run from there?
i try install then move to SD card but it dont work after i restart the tablet.
I have read in various places that ICS does not like to read apps from external cards. I have two ICS tablets and they both are preset to save apps to the internal partition. I do not know why Google has done this as it limits the amount of storage you have for apps. I guess you can still save pics, music, and movies to the external card though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,

Anyone know how to install application on to the SD card and run from there?
i try install then move to SD card but it dont work after i restart the tablet.
I found this on another site, have not tried it yet still waiting for my replacement.You must be rooted.
As always you use these suggestions at your own risk,

1/ Now that you now have root access you can edit the vold.fstab file. In the Root Explorer app Go to /system/etc/vold.fstab

Once you've found that file simply long press it (hold down on it) until you see "Open With" and then choose "text editor"

2/ You should see a text file. In the 2nd paragraph you'll see two lines that say:

dev mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto
dev mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto

3/ Highlight them and edit the lines to read:

dev mount sdcard /mnt/extsd auto
dev mount extsd /mnt/sdcard auto

4. Save and Reboot!
Press the menu button or tap menu and then select "Save and Exit".
(It should save the original file for you as a backup automatically when you save in case you screw anything up)

Turn off the tablet, make sure your external micro sd card is in the external sd slot and then reboot. (You need to reboot for the changes to the vold.fstab file to take effect)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found this on another site, have not tried it yet still waiting for my replacement.You must be rooted.
As always you use these suggestions at your own risk,

1/ Now that you now have root access you can edit the vold.fstab file. In the Root Explorer app Go to /system/etc/vold.fstab

Once you've found that file simply long press it (hold down on it) until you see "Open With" and then choose "text editor"

2/ You should see a text file. In the 2nd paragraph you'll see two lines that say:

dev mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto
dev mount extsd /mnt/extsd auto

3/ Highlight them and edit the lines to read:

dev mount sdcard /mnt/extsd auto
dev mount extsd /mnt/sdcard auto

4. Save and Reboot!
Press the menu button or tap menu and then select "Save and Exit".
(It should save the original file for you as a backup automatically when you save in case you screw anything up)

Turn off the tablet, make sure your external micro sd card is in the external sd slot and then reboot. (You need to reboot for the changes to the vold.fstab file to take effect)
I try yours dont work..
i user this:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
dev_mount flash /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount udisk /mnt/usb_storage auto /devices/platform/usb20_host/usb

·
Registered
58 Posts
I try yours dont work..
i user this:

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
dev_mount flash /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
dev_mount udisk /mnt/usb_storage auto /devices/platform/usb20_host/usb
Can't check this, haven't got my M11 back yet. But mmc0 sounds like your sdcard. Is your internal one showing up as well?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts