Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have "hacked" my Novel and have it functioning fine with Pandahome (via Windows Vista). However, I'd like to be able to install .apk files from my Mac now that I have it running. Does anyone know what I have to do to accomplish that? I can use Terminal (not that I know many commands) but I need instructions for this one in n00b speak.Help?

·
Registered
89 Posts
1. instal the sdk for mac2. launch terminal3. if you are not sure how to launch adb from the terminal, drag the app on the terminal window and it will show the path4. use that path + any adb commands you want5. if you want the path to your apk on the mac to instal it, drag it on the windowSomeone smarter that me can add tips; but, thats how I figured it out.The cool part is you don't have any of the driver crap many of the windowz folks seem to have had.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's essentially it. It's easier to install on the mac since there are no driver woes. Just download the sdk, uncompress and connect the PDN via USB. You can then cd to the sdk tools directory and run this from the command prompt in terminal:./adb install (nameofapk).apkexample:./adb install YouTube.apkThis assumes you put the apk in the same tools directory. If you are storing your apks somewhere else then use:./adb install pathWhereApkFilesare/(nameofapk).apk example:./adb instasll home/joeblow/android/apks/YouTube.apkYou can also add the tools directory to your path. Then you could run adb from anywhere and not have to prepend ./ android mac SDK here:http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.htmlOnce you have the SDK installed and the right driver for the OS adb works the same for Windows/Mac/Linux.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. I got it working with:[quote name='mrchet;26179]That's essentially it. It's easier to install on the mac since there are no driver woes. Just download the sdk' date=' uncompress and connect the PDN via USB. You can then cd to the sdk tools directory and run this from the command prompt in [URL=terminal:./adb]terminal:./adb[/URL] install (nameofapk).apkexample:./adb install YouTube.apkThis assumes you put the apk in the same tools directory. If you are storing your apks somewhere else then [URL=use:./adb]use:./adb[/URL] install pathWhereApkFilesare/(nameofapk).apk[/quote']I kept trying to "add the directory path" per mrchet's instructions/the instructions from the "install android SDK" at developer.android.com and I can't get that to work. Somehow yesterday I managed to determine that I don't have a /.bash_profile and I can't figure out how to create one. No amount of Googling has answered that one for me yet.Thanks for giving a way around that.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Just for the sake of making me less crazy, can someone tell me why this stuff only works on intel machines. I mean, the Android SDK is supported by WinXP which came out in 2001, but not Tiger (osx 10.4) which is only 5 years old. You guys sure this won't work on a G4 mac unless I install Linux? I can play with the Terminal, find the paths, the PDN is seen by the system. Do I really have to go and borrow my kid's system when he comes to visit to do this. How embarrassing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
or get yourself a new 15" macbook pro! its beefier and nastier. i wish they'd make another "blackbook" mac so i can replace mine.edit:mr chet, is that name form christopher moore's book? chet the giant cat from "you suck" ?

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I just picked up the "poor man's" iPad at Bed Bath and Beyond. But instead of maybe a little history lesson on the Android development and why it bypassed (or is just plain incompatible with) G4s, you tell me to spend TEN TIMES AS MUCH on a new system.Your advice is noted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
edit:mr chet, is that name form christopher moore's book? chet the giant cat from "you suck" ?
Ha, no. I have never heard of that book. I should DL to my PDN and read it! It comes from my HS Geometry teacher. He called all of us Mr./s Firstname. For some reason it stuck as a nickname with my buddies. Most of the time people usually say "Isn't chet the name of the big pile of isht in Wierd Science?" Yes, yes it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
[quote name='Mark Adams;28609]Just for the sake of making me less crazy' date=' can someone tell me why this stuff only works on intel machines. I mean, the Android SDK is supported by WinXP which came out in 2001, but not Tiger (osx 10.4) which is only 5 years old. You guys sure this won't work on a G4 mac unless I install Linux? I can play with the Terminal, find the paths, the PDN is seen by the system. Do I really have to go and borrow my kid's system when he comes to visit to do this. How embarrassing.[/QUOTE']Based on a quick google the only shot you have on G4/PowerPC might be using VirtualPC with XP. Apparently people requested the SDK on PPC, but the enhancement was declined. PowerPC has never really been a popular architecture target for Linux.
  • If you can spare $200 or so, find a netbook that will support OS X, like the Dell Mini 9.
  • If you can't spare that much, pick up a small form factor Dell Pentium 4 box for <$50 and install Xubuntu, the lightweight version of Ubuntu. Ubuntu seems to be the best documented install target for the SDK, and would be easiest for someone with little Linux experience.
  • If you can't spare that much, ask around of your friends and acquaintances to see if they have any old equipment. People often do not know what to do with old gear when they upgrade, or don't know how to fix something simple, like replacing a power supply, hard disk or RAM. I bought a G4 MDD and a 15" LCD in '02 for $200 because the person who had the system didn't know how to replace a hard drive.
You don't need much power to run Linux if you have patience and install something with a lightweight window manager like Xubuntu has. I ran my home file server on an ancient AMD box (circa '01) until just a year ago when it gave up the ghost.=V=

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.