Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the black 7 in novel and I installed the firmware update for it. My mom bought a black 9 in novel for herself and I installed the firmware on hers too. I didn't realize the 9 in didn't need an update. Now the screen has turned a weird shade of green, the images are all distorted and the resolution is messed up- the words are all off the screen.

I tried resetting it by pressing the power and +volume button at the same time because someone told me it would take it back to the factory settings, but it's not working. Have I ruined her novel or can the firmware be uninstalled? Also, I've called customer service and no one ever answers so I can't get help there. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
666 Posts
You will need to locate the original 9" Novel Firmware file. Unfortunately AFAIK there is not one. Many people with the 9" Novel have complained that PanDigital has not released an update, nor the original Firmware files. If you can find someone with an un-altered 9" Novel you may be able to backup the installed firmware and use that to correct your device. I have a thread concerning backing up firmware, using mkfs.yaffs2.

However, the Novels have a specific naming convention for the firmware files. The 7" balck and the 7" white use 2 entirely different firmwares and file names. What was the exact name of the file you used?

Some people claim the 9" novel is closer to the 7" white than it is to the 7" black. I do not have any experience with the 9" Novel and cannot be certain.

If they become more popular, I may consider buying one to mod. (Currently my next device will be a Nook Color or Cruz Reader or Tablet)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used the one for the black 7 in multimedia ereader. I don't even know anyone who has one, so I can't borrow their firmware files. Do you think the white firmware would work better?

·
Registered
666 Posts
i have read in other forums for other devices, that the screen resolution is most likely encoded in the kernel. This means (unfortunately) that until kernel source is available for modification and building tweaks like screen size (resolution) are not possible.

Having said that, the 9" uses a 800x480? or 800x600? screen resolution?

As far as fixing your setup, I think that at the least you would need to flash firmware specifically for that device. Hold your breath until Pandigital releases firmware for the 9" Novel.

If it were me, I would call Pandigital again and try to speak to someone concerning this honest mistake. You are not the first person I have heard of putting the BLACK Novel firmware on the 9' BLACK Novel. They may tell you to return to the Novel to store of purchase or send in for a fix.

·
Registered
399 Posts
[quote author=nchntrman link=topic=13215.msg106061#msg106061 date=1293069082]
If it were me, I would call Pandigital again and try to speak to someone concerning this honest mistake. You are not the first person I have heard of putting the BLACK Novel firmware on the 9' BLACK Novel. They may tell you to return to the Novel to store of purchase or send in for a fix.
[/quote]

Yeah, shame on Pandigital for not ensuring that people don't do this, I can see it being a very common mistake. I agree call Pandigital. My guess is the main problem is because of the screen resolution on the 9" which is only 800x480, while the 7" units are 800x600 which would account for the screwy screen you're seeing now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've called them several times, I'm put on hold and no one ever answers. It's very frustrating. I guess I just have to return it. Thanks for trying to help me, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Have you tried emailing customer support? Sometimes (but not very often) they will help that way. Allow several days for a response.. over the holidays, probably several weeks!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
[quote author=bac522 link=topic=13215.msg106240#msg106240 date=1293111634]
Yeah, shame on Pandigital for not ensuring that people don't do this, I can see it being a very common mistake. I agree call Pandigital. My guess is the main problem is because of the screen resolution on the 9" which is only 800x480, while the 7" units are 800x600 which would account for the screwy screen you're seeing now.
[/quote]

I agree.

In case anyone is snickering at bac, let me tell you it's not his fault. I see this kind of confusion a lot over at my blog. Pandigital screwed up when they didn't bother to give each model under the Novel brand its own product name.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree.

In case anyone is snickering at bac, let me tell you it's not his fault. I see this kind of confusion a lot over at my blog. Pandigital screwed up when they didn't bother to give each model under the Novel brand its own product name.
I also loaded the 7" firmware in error, not my fault though someone posted it as 'polaris_update.dat', this firmware is 107/108 mb's in size. The correct polaris_update.dat for the 9" is 78/79 mb's in size.

I have spent several hours on hold with Pandigital's support with no one answering it and so far my emails to them have gone unanswered. Pandigital's reputation is not the best and I'm ready to just recycle it. I am tired of waiting for Pandigital to release either the original or an updates firmware for this 9" black, R90L200 tablet.

LS

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have read in other forums for other devices, that the screen resolution is most likely encoded in the kernel. This means (unfortunately) that until kernel source is available for modification and building tweaks like screen size (resolution) are not possible.

Having said that, the 9" uses a 800x480? or 800x600? screen resolution?

As far as fixing your setup, I think that at the least you would need to flash firmware specifically for that device. Hold your breath until Pandigital releases firmware for the 9" Novel.

Sorry but I need some clairifcation,,

I have a Pandigital Novel Android Multimidea Tablet & Color eReader,, it is a black 9 inch, R90L200. It ran Eclair 2.0. I have been phoning and emailing Pandigital from months with no help at all (in fact, I have been totally egnored ). The default screen size was 800x480.
I made the big mistake of loading the 'polaris_update.dat' firmware that was 108 mb's in size only to find out it was the 7 inch firmware. This has totally corrupted the 9 inch tablet, it will not reconize any of the reaql 9 " firmwares out there and will not run anything. File exployer locks-up, I can not load any apps and i can only auto rotate the screen three ways.
It has been said that us 9 inch tablet owners will have to wait until Pandigital releases the shipped or updated firmware, If my 9 inch does not see any of the valid wpdb9 updates, how is it going to read the shipped or updated Firmware????

Is there anyone that has figured out how to delete partition 0 on a windows 7 machine?? I have tried reforematting both the SD card and the internal memory chip, left the internal memory completely empty and only had the polaris_update dat and zip files on my SD card and it still boots up the bad wpdb7 firmware. Since I can not root it and ADB does not work on my machine,,, Well I don't have much hair left as I've pulled most of it out. Can Anyone help??????????

LS

LS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry but I need some clairifcation,,

I have a Pandigital Novel Android Multimidea Tablet & Color eReader,, it is a black 9 inch, R90L200. It ran Eclair 2.0. I have been phoning and emailing Pandigital from months with no help at all (in fact, I have been totally egnored ). The default screen size was 800x480.
I made the big mistake of loading the 'polaris_update.dat' firmware that was 108 mb's in size only to find out it was the 7 inch firmware. This has totally corrupted the 9 inch tablet, it will not reconize any of the reaql 9 " firmwares out there and will not run anything. File exployer locks-up, I can not load any apps and i can only auto rotate the screen three ways.
It has been said that us 9 inch tablet owners will have to wait until Pandigital releases the shipped or updated firmware, If my 9 inch does not see any of the valid wpdb9 updates, how is it going to read the shipped or updated Firmware????

Is there anyone that has figured out how to delete partition 0 on a windows 7 machine?? I have tried reforematting both the SD card and the internal memory chip, left the internal memory completely empty and only had the polaris_update dat and zip files on my SD card and it still boots up the bad wpdb7 firmware. Since I can not root it and ADB does not work on my machine,,, Well I don't have much hair left as I've pulled most of it out. Can Anyone help??????????

LS

LS
Has anyone got anywhere with this issue because I'm in the same boat, Is there another thread that has the fix to this out there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree.

Thanks Nate, makes me feel better because I did the same thing!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hope I'm doing this right, just signed on here today. I also have the 9in Pandigital I had successfully put the firmware on it that Nate had posted a long time ago, and everything was fine. But then I deleted some things and added some things to it and decided to re install the firmware, thought I'd found the right one, but apparently it wasn't. Now the tablet won't turn on at all. It flashes the green light for a second, but it goes out and nothing happens. Has it been completely destroyed? Can it be saved? I too have emailed and called Pandigital with no success. And just found out I had a year warrenty which expired in May 2012 while I was trying to get in touch with them. Very sad...

·
Registered
4 Posts
So no one's been able to get this problem fixed? I'm in the same boat and it's not even my tablet! My friend kinda just threw it in my lap b/c she didn't know what she doing and thought I would. What am I going to do...? I guess I'll just call PanDigital first thing in the morning.

EDIT: Well, I don't really need help anymore. Once the battery ran down, the tablet updated itself with Roebeet's OPDN9 alternative firmware that I put on the SD card when I was trying to fix it. Still if anyone has the original firmware please message me with the link just in case.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So no one's been able to get this problem fixed? I'm in the same boat and it's not even my tablet! My friend kinda just threw it in my lap b/c she didn't know what she doing and thought I would. What am I going to do...? I guess I'll just call PanDigital first thing in the morning.

EDIT: Well, I don't really need help anymore. Once the battery ran down, the tablet updated itself with Roebeet's OPDN9 alternative firmware that I put on the SD card when I was trying to fix it. Still if anyone has the original firmware please message me with the link just in case.
any update on this i did the same thing! ive tried installing Roebeet's OPDN9 but well pressing the power and volume up button i cant get it to go into the loader, any clue on that? or can u not update to Roebeet's OPDN9 if ur running the 7 firmware? How would one go abotu getting the stock firmware off the 9 i have a friend that has one i could borrow and get the firmware off of possibly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts