Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + Install at your own risk + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
All credit goes to "Chomper_T" he is the developer of this project, most of the information is extracted from his blog. Big thanks to him.

Here is the video of Installation of this built by reverendkjr, big thanks to him for his efforts for making this informative video tutorial. this built will work within webOS as an app so it is quite safe and you can just long press and delete it if you don't like it. Its is very safe but man it is in alpha stage so it is buggy. There are some bugs associated with this built which have been discussed in the video. Now here is the video:

The prerequisites for the installations are:
1) Preware Installed on your TP (If you don't have preware,Go to HERE and do steps 1-5 to install Preware on your TP).
2) An app called "Internalz Pro" has to be installed through Preware. (Go to Preware and search for "Internalz Pro" and install it)
3) Ipk file for "Android Build, chomper.app.android 0.0.1" download
HERE
4) Ipk file for "Android Build, chomper.app.android 0.1.0" download LINK Warning! This built is very very buggy, please be very careful. Thanks[/b][/color]

If you have all the above ready now watch this very very easy installation guide video and enjoy!!

For more info and installation instruction here is the link for xda forum LINK . Enjoy!!

Update, 10-09-2011 @ 10:00am ET
Android running in the card, Video. Download is available see prerequisites above :
Here is the video showing running the latest Android ipk in cards:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lQKyzvKNTk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Update, 10-06-2011 @ 9:00am EDT
The last release is skipped since more candies are coming.
1. Fake SD card is mounted now. Programs need SD access can be run.
2. Wifi issue is solved. No network issues.
The author is working on sound issue and will wrap around in the next two days and release the next very alpha very soon.
Download link will be posted here once available.Thanks to cellneuron from xda dev.

Update, 10-05-2011 @ 3:00pm ET
The IPK is running in a card today (no need to implement hardware switches such as wifi, bluetooth or power), and you can manipulate this card like any other WebOS apps. Whether implementing one single card or multiple sub-cards like built-in browser is open to discussion. Will release the update soon.
The next update will be openGL, which will improve multimedia performance. Thanks to cellneuron from xda dev.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + Install at your own risk+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone else tried this HP Touchpad android "app"? I did and aside from the cool look it doesn't do much. Most of the apps do not work... no wifi (even though I was connected using webOS when I started it). Also, the apk files he said to place into the folder did not work either. I installed it before adding the apps and when they didn't work I uninstalled it and did a re-install. Still no action. But, like I said, it is cool to see it running at all and keeps me salivating for the real thing once the devs release it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has anyone else tried this HP Touchpad android "app"? I did and aside from the cool look it doesn't do much. Most of the apps do not work... no wifi (even though I was connected using webOS when I started it). Also, the apk files he said to place into the folder did not work either. I installed it before adding the apps and when they didn't work I uninstalled it and did a re-install. Still no action. But, like I said, it is cool to see it running at all and keeps me salivating for the real thing once the devs release it.
Yeah, this is correct this built is almost kind of "cosmetic" built, but the developer is very much committed in making it better in matter of weeks. WiFi does work on my TP regardless its showing that it is not connected. I'll try to keep you folks updated as much as I can and hopefully the next update will be a much refined build. May be CyanogenMod releases its "Port" in the meantime, if that happens this build's future will not be so bright. The only benefit see is, it works within webOS and may be work in the cards form, but it will always be a memory issue related to that build.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah, this is correct this built is almost kind of "cosmetic" built, but the developer is very much committed in making it better in matter of weeks. WiFi does work on my TP regardless its showing that it is not connected. I'll try to keep you folks updated as much as I can and hopefully the next update will be a much refined build. May be CyanogenMod releases its "Port" in the meantime, if that happens this build's future will not be so bright. The only benefit see is, it works within webOS and may be work in the cards form, but it will always be a memory issue related to that build.
Good Luck!
Running Android as an app is the feature that got me to try this build, as the HPTP has no SD slot (correction: it does, but it's a dummy!). I won't give up on this one though - only wish I could get my wifi working. Any ideas what tweaks I might try? You said yours indicates "not connected" but you are still wifi-enabled. I tried browsing anyway to no avail. As I said, I will stay loyal and watch for an upgrade to this file. Meanwhile I will zap my downloaded ipk and try a fresh download/install.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...........Meanwhile I will zap my downloaded ipk and try a fresh download/install.
Good idea! My wifi is working flawlessly. Fake sd card will be mounted in the next update as per developer. As this is pre Alpha build, honestly I am not expecting too much, I tried this because I wanted to try Android as an App too.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good idea! My wifi is working flawlessly. Fake sd card will be mounted in the next update as per developer. As this is pre Alpha build, honestly I am not expecting too much, I tried this because I wanted to try Android as an App too.
Good Luck!
I need some help with the apk files... I was able to find: Root Explorer.apk & com.aurorasoftworks.quadrant.ui.advanced.1.1.1.apk, but could not locate androidinformation.apk so I used Android System Info.apk instead. This is probably why I am having trouble. Can you supply the link for androidinformation.apk? I heard on the video that it is in Market, but I couldn't find it. Thanks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I need some help with the apk files... I was able to find: Root Explorer.apk & com.aurorasoftworks.quadrant.ui.advanced.1.1.1.apk, but could not locate androidinformation.apk so I used Android System Info.apk instead. This is probably why I am having trouble. Can you supply the link for androidinformation.apk? I heard on the video that it is in Market, but I couldn't find it. Thanks.
I did not find it either I use this instead Download this is the same app shown in the video.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did not find it either I use this instead Download this is the same app shown in the video.
Thanks for the link. I downloaded/sideloaded it into the apks folder and am re-installing the Chroid app now. Report to follow!

[added later 10/8] - Well it works about the same as the last time. Looks good but not much action. No wifi, no browser and very few of the apps deliver. Guess it's about all I can do right now. I will watch the horizon. BTW, the list I get in my apks folder does not match the list in the video as to that last one you gave the link for - but you say it's the same one shown in the video?

[added still later 10/9] - Even though bringing up the browser gave me an error msg (no connection) I was able, after a few attempts, to plug in a URL and connect. Once connected I could leave the browser app, poke around a bit more and if I clicked once again on the browser button the last website visited would come back up, so I was obviously still wifi-connected. In settings though, the wifi listing was still "error". I was able to go to any website I wanted to and could bookmark the URLs. Next time I bootup and try Chroid I will see if the wifi/bookmark status is still "quo". It's looking better to me now!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like you have to be wifi connected before running Choid, but then your browser will work fine and your bookmarks are saved & functional. Also, you can sideload an apk file into the apks folder and it will be shown as an icon once you boot into Choid again. I tried this with Astro File Manager with success.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like you have to be wifi connected before running Choid, but then your browser will work fine and your bookmarks are saved & functional. Also, you can sideload an apk file into the apks folder and it will be shown as an icon once you boot into Choid again. I tried this with Astro File Manager with success.
Good for you. The new "Update" download just released last night. I am still doing "trial and error" on that but looks like it is "not recommended" for now. I will keep posted new developments. The new download consists of Android opening in the card.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good for you. The new "Update" download just released last night. I am still doing "trial and error" on that but looks like it is "not recommended" for now. I will keep posted new developments. The new download consists of Android opening in the card.
Do you mean that a card is created for the Android app that can be shunted aside to work on other webOS apps? That would be great and eliminate having to reboot to do this.Oh, by the way, where's the download site located in case I want to give this update a shot? Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do you mean that a card is created for the Android app that can be shunted aside to work on other webOS apps? That would be great and eliminate having to reboot to do this.Oh, by the way, where's the download site located in case I want to give this update a shot? Thanks!
See video and also see prerequisites above in "OP".
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
See video and also see prerequisites above in "OP".
Thanks
I just tried Chomper 0.1.0 and yes it is Buggy and Flickery, but Wow - intriguing too. Got into Market and saw some tempting Android apps to download, but moved on to see other stuff. The card feature works fine, but I get a black screen that sometimes responds to a lot of tapping. The last version was much more stable, but the card feature trumps all that (for me). Anxlous to see it once it is tranquilized.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just tried Chomper 0.1.0 and yes it is Buggy and Flickery, but Wow - intriguing too. Got into Market and saw some tempting Android apps to download, but moved on to see other stuff. The card feature works fine, but I get a black screen that sometimes responds to a lot of tapping. The last version was much more stable, but the card feature trumps all that (for me). Anxlous to see it once it is tranquilized.
It will! Chomper have a very good reputation. But he is working by himself (as per my understanding)on this project so it might take some time but overall he is doing an awesome job. Just keep tuned and I'll let everyone know about it. I am personally a big fan of webOS and I love Android too but with this new concept I'll can use both of the worlds without rebooting and that will be Awesome!!.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
179 Posts
It will! Chomper have a very good reputation. But he is working by himself (as per my understanding)on this project so it might take some time but overall he is doing an awesome job. Just keep tuned and I'll let everyone know about it. I am personally a big fan of webOS and I love Android too but with this new concept I'll can use both of the worlds without rebooting and that will be Awesome!!.
Good Luck!
While I am not interested in trying out this "pre-alpha" version, I am watching this development closely and will try it when it is smoother and more finished.
I am much more interested in a card-based way to run Android apps because I too really like the WebOS experience. I do not really like the whole dual-boot idea, mostly due to the time it takes to reboot, etc.
Most of what I need is already doable in WebOS, but there are a few Android apps I really miss and this would allow me to run them.

How much of my pitiful 16GB is going to need to go to this solution though?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While I am not interested in trying out this "pre-alpha" version ..........................How much of my pitiful 16GB is going to need to go to this solution though?
So far memory is an issue but it got whole lot better in the last build, so lets hope for the best for the forth coming alpha or beta builds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts