Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, as most here already know, this device is NOT ready for most people to buy yet. By that, I mean don't think it could be used by the typical non-tech type. Clearly, as has been discussed on this forum, it was a rushed out device, is is built cheaply, has many software bugs, etc. For most though, as is evidenced by immediate sell-outs at Kmart when it came in to stock, these issues were known yet we still wanted one, particularly when you can return it if it was a complete disaster. Contrast this with buying one on Ebay. Thus, a free option as I looked at it and worth a shot. Now, with that said, on to the review.This little thing is AWESOME. I say that knowing it only cost $150...so keep price in mind. I am by far NOT a hacker of any type, but like most on these forums I can read about things that need to be done and follow the directions of those much more knowledgeable than I. What makes this device terrific is Android 2.1 and the fact that for the most part, it runs it very well.I have not applied ANY patch or modified the unit in any way, yet I have it working quite well. I still can't download from the Market, but found a couple of ways around this. First, google "apk download" or "android app download". There are various sites that allow you to download apk's/apps directly from their site. This allows you to use the browser on the unit to get apps on it. Another way to get apps is to use you Android phone. What I did was to download from the Market whatever I wanted on my phone, then use Titanium backup to back-up all my apps on the phone (they are all placed on the sd card in a folder named 'backup'). Then I hooked my phone to my pc, copied files to pc and then copied from pc to my Gentouch78. By the way, my Windows Vista machine recognized the device and allowed me access to the device memory (located in /nand/downloads from Astro...strange that this directory would not show up with built-in file explorer) where I copied the apps....voila....all the apps I wanted on the device.The browser works well and for the most part all the apps also work well. Some of the apps (Huffington Post, Newspapers, Skyfire browser) all display too small...ie they don't fill the screen. Strange, since resolution of the 78 is same as my phone. I think this has to do with how the app was written...our 78 is native landscape while post phones are native portrait, thus the don't display properly. When I turn the screen to portrait, they still don't display properly, but otherwise work albeit in a small window.Battery life is pretty good. I was surfing for over 2 hours and battery still read about 2/3 full...that's good enough for me! Have not tried sound but don't really care too much as don't really use it for music. Youtube app worked and there was sound.The buttons on the back are pretty cheap. For example, the on/off button is hard to press and is much to close to the power plug to use it when plugged. As others have written, if you are going to use a micro sd card, be super careful not to drop it in the unit. The buttons on back are also kinda hard to use. But to be honest, after a few hours I'm use to them and can press them properly without having to feel around and count.The screen is no surprise....resistive and hard to press but you also get used to it. Need to hold device with a pretty narrow angle to see it at its best.Here are the apps I have on it:Advanced Task Manger -worksFast Reboot - worksSkyfire - wrong display sizeRotate - Landscape/Portrait - worksAstro - worksNubinews - worksTV Listings -worksNewspapers - wrong display sizeGomarks - works...best app out there to sync with your google bookmarksDrudge Report - wrong display sizeFinance - google app...worksistocksmanager - works...great stock market appTV Listings - worksQuick Boot - does not work to reboot device via softwareTitanium Backup - worksYelp - worksWeatherbug - worksZillow- worksXmarks - doesn't work...but may have to do with to many bookmark files in my accountSo, as you can see above...most apps work well. Sure the device is not perfect. But for $150 you can't go wrong to have access to a browser and functionality of Android 2.1 and all its apps. Remember, I have not yet hacked this device in any way and I am happy with it. I fully expect over time that new ROMS will be created, either by Augen or by third party hackers to make it even better.So, if you can get one...I would recommend it highly. And no, I have no connection to Augen but wanted to get one person's opinion....ie mine...out there for those to read. Eventually, will probably get a better slate from one of the major manufacturers but this one if pretty good for now.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
ACV (comic book viewer) has the exact same screen issue as Skyfire. That leads me to believe that other apps might have the same issue. It's almost as if the resolution defaults to something other than 800x480 and so not all the screen is used.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Batt runtime w/WiFi on sounds WAY better than earlier reports others gave... That was actually one of my primary concerns, the second being the poor standby time and having to shutdown rather than standby...Happen to know if any of those wrond disp size apps run correctly on over devices/OS revisions? Might be something hardcoded or that they use some deprecated APIs/functions for an older OS......still no sign of more(GTs) here... I hate these under-inventoried releases, although it makes sense IF the info that one guy got that Augen wasn't quite ready to release and Kmart forced it... surprised that they had as many devices as they did if that was the case... not alot, but certainly more than they would need for developing/testing... also wonder that the plastic on the screen always looks like it was put on by an amateur in the videos... not a nice neat machine application, but wrinkles galore...Witstech A81 E is really calling, although I think that I'd wait to buy from mp4nation and their stock won't be showing until 8/23...

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I know that sometimes a tech company will deliberately under-release to create buzz, which would make a lot of sense here. This is what happened with the EVO 4g, and the new iphone, and the Ipad. I just wonder if kmart is the best outlet for them to have used. Is augen a kmart exclusive company? I saw several augen devices when I was looking for the GT (I still think the book is underrated, though I haven't blown the money to check).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Talking to a developer friend, he says that the fullscreen issue that apps have is ones coded using something other than Java with the API. It is possible to use C++ or other languages and in these you specify the screen size differently than resolution (I don't know how that works...), but it does not scale correctly. People with Droid X phones (4.3" screen vs. 3.4" of the Droid) also have this issue with a number of apps but it doesn't look as glaring...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I wouldn't take the battery indicator as gospel. In most CE devices, the battery indicator is based on the battery's discharge curve. Different batt types/capacities have different curves, so to be accurate, the curve rating has to be calibrated for that particular battery config. Given the rough FW, dollars to donuts that the battery isn't calibrated, just like the screen and most everything else. So, unless you do a standardized run-down test until the thing conks out, looking at the battery gauge won't tell you much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tipstir;31471 said:
Those apps for TV Listings is that Zap2it? Zillow works really? Wow! Memory Booster Lite works without a glitch and the device doesn't get so hot as much.
Zillow works perfectly in landscape mode and TV Listings app works perfectly in portrait mode.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Apparently there's some sort of compatibility setting buried somewhere in the Augen(and other Android devices) that when unchecked(apparently ship with compatibility enabled by default) that will allow some of the apps to run full screen...linckraker(sp?) posted the info on the xda GT dev thread (IIRC), and it's mentioned elsewhere in the forums here (IIRC) so a search should turn it up... just don't know if all devices have the same settings setup or if they customize or what... still waiting to get my sticky fingers on some hw... probably definitely a GT if they get more stock before the A81 E fw shapes up to something more approximating useability..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.