Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a custom firmware package based on the 7-24 firmware release. It will have the volume key hack/mod and the rooted su pre-installed. I have some questions for the community.What other hacks mods would you like in a custom firmware?What apks would you have pre-installed on your Novel?What apks are known to function when only copied into the App directory on the Novel?What apks are know to require installation from an App Installer/Manager or through the adb connection from a computer?What apks are known to have settings or other data that is not stored on the SD card or the user data directory on the Novel?What android system settings would you want pre-configured on your Novel?

· Registered
425 Posts
I prefer the approach that blazingwolf took - just removing userdata.img file from the update so that we preserve the user's environment. Adding the volume button hack is a nice touch and possibly a second package (so the user has the choice of including google experience or not) adding the google experience package would be nice too. If you really want to include additional apks I'd recommend AppInstaller, Quick Uninstaller and AppMonster. These apps at least provide the user with tools to manage applications of their preference.On another note, since it looks like additional updates will be coming from PD I'd recommend that an all inclusive package may not be advantageous at this time. Perhaps one bundle to install post-fw update. This would still simplify things a bit and while not requiring updates to your package every time new fw is released.

· Registered
125 Posts
[quote name='nvrpayretail;25240]I prefer the approach that [B]blazingwolf[/B] took - just removing userdata.img file from the update so that we preserve the user's environment. Adding the volume button hack is a nice touch and possibly a second package (so the user has the choice of including google experience or not) adding the google experience package would be nice too. If you really want to include additional apks I'd recommend AppInstaller' date=' Quick Uninstaller and AppMonster. These apps at least provide the user with tools to manage applications of their preference.On another note, since it looks like additional updates will be coming from PD I'd recommend that an all inclusive package may not be advantageous at this time. Perhaps one bundle to install post-fw update. This would still simplify things a bit and while not requiring updates to your package every time new fw is released.[/QUOTE'] As we know and see that there are regular frmare updates coming from PD, so I would like to have some package in which we just put the PD firmware file and rest all (like: su root, google experience, some pre-installed apps) is already there. Then this package we install in our PDN. This way we don't have to rebuild the custom package everytime there is new firmware.If you ahve some ideas then I'm also ready to work on this, as I started liking my PDN .....

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not to worried about holding off for firmware changes as my objective is to work on a system for restoring my PDN to its current state with the least hassle. If a firmware is released, I would much rather inject a few files into the firmware file, I.L.O. having to use adb to re-hack my vol keys and install an apk installer and panda home and whatever other apks I would have to install. Currently I use 91 PC Suite for Android to install all "extra" my apks in one shot. Alhough using adb and PC Suite isn't all that much of a hassle, it takes about 20 mins to restore, hack and reinstall. If I could do that in less time all the better. Ultimately a Visual Basic "Patch" Application for windows would be nice. Check a few boxes (vol hack, root) and pick your firmware file and apk directory and have a Custom Firmware built.

· Registered
69 Posts
I think having some kind of home button would be useful. (Not easy to exit some apps.)Could this be implemented with either a long up or down press in addition to maintaining the current menu and back functionality by momentary press?

· Registered
125 Posts
[quote name='nchntrman;25272]I'm not to worried about holding off for firmware changes as my objective is to work on a system for restoring my PDN to its current state with the least hassle. If a firmware is released' date=' I would much rather inject a few files into the firmware file, I.L.O. having to use adb to re-hack my vol keys and install an apk installer and panda home and whatever other apks I would have to install. Currently I use 91 PC Suite for Android to install all "extra" my apks in one shot. Alhough using adb and PC Suite isn't all that much of a hassle, it takes about 20 mins to restore, hack and reinstall. If I could do that in less time all the better. Ultimately a Visual Basic "Patch" Application for windows would be nice. Check a few boxes (vol hack, root) and pick your firmware file and apk directory and have a Custom Firmware built.[/QUOTE'] "Ultimately a Visual Basic "Patch" Application for windows would be nice. Check a few boxes (vol hack, root) and pick your firmware file and apk directory and have a Custom Firmware built"Yup this is what I want to say ......this will be great !!! If you need help, I could, but I have to learn some Visual basic

· Registered
54 Posts
THANKS nchntrman and BLAZINGWOLF. You guys rock. I second the long press of the volume keys giving us a home key. Any one up to giving us the achos softkeys yet? This thing would definitely rock then. How about a soft volume feature. Make it like soft home until all media apps have on screen controls.

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Has anyone tried adding the volkey hack files to the script and a corresponding mv command at the end? We're not doing much crazy at the moment other than overwriting files, so maybe we could make an updated folderfile structure to just drop onto a stock update.zip with the stuff you want tweaked.Easier than the trouble of writing an app to do it when we could be working on other things

· Registered
173 Posts
I just got an email saying my Kohls rebate is valid and they will be mailing it. Specifically, I had a raincheck, then applied using the second rebate that Kohl's advertised. On my rebate status it says "$15 Mail in Rebate with the purchase of a Pandigital PRD07T20WBL1 or PRD07T10WWH7 Novel Color Multimedia eReader at Kohls" but I could have sworn there was only one model # on the form when I sent it in. No idea, I'm just happy I'm probably getting mine.

· Registered
1,352 Posts
[quote name='rspray;25531]I just got an email saying my Kohls rebate is valid and they will be mailing it. Specifically' date=' I had a raincheck, then applied using the second rebate that Kohl's advertised. On my rebate status it says "$15 Mail in Rebate with the purchase of a Pandigital PRD07T20WBL1 or PRD07T10WWH7 Novel Color Multimedia eReader at Kohls" but I could have sworn there was only one model # on the form when I sent it in. No idea, I'm just happy I'm probably getting mine.[/QUOTE'] That's cool, but why did you post this in a custom firmware thread? :confused:

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
clockworx, Thats what I'm working on but it isn't as easy as that. The updated files are contained within the .img files and that requires a little work to replace files. Currently the method required adb after the firmware has been flashed, I woud like to avoid using adb.

· Registered
1,352 Posts
[quote name='nchntrman;25553]clockworx' date=' Thats what I'm working on but it isn't as easy as that. The updated files are contained within the .img files and that requires a little work to replace files. Currently the method required adb after the firmware has been flashed, I woud like to avoid using adb.[/QUOTE'] I understand you can do it that way, but what happens if you just added gpio.kl (or whatever the filename is, I forget) to the root of the zip file, and add on the command at the end of the "updater_script2":mv gpio.kl /system/etc/.....

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gotcha, so the idea there is to flash firmware intact, then script the changes at the end of the flash install. I like that angle
much easier than dealing with unpacking .img and repacking. I'll look into that, sounds good. I will still be trying to master the modifing the the system.img and others, thisis essential to leaning out the install as wellas some other mods I cannot do from scrip interface. The script runs in fuse and IDK if it has the ability to perform other linux commands as used by ramdisk.img and the other kernel. Commands such as chmod or apk installing.

· Registered
1,352 Posts
[quote name='nchntrman;25567]gotcha' date=' so the idea there is to flash firmware intact, then script the changes at the end of the flash install. I like that angle [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley.gif[/IMG] much easier than dealing with unpacking .img and repacking. I'll look into that, sounds good. I will still be trying to master the modifing the the system.img and others, thisis essential to leaning out the install as wellas some other mods I cannot do from scrip interface. The script runs in fuse and IDK if it has the ability to perform other linux commands as used by ramdisk.img and the other kernel. Commands such as chmod or apk installing.[/QUOTE']I don't know that it runs "in Fuse", though I haven't been able to find any real documentation. The fuse it runs is a binary, and it's basically just calling the command the same as if you had run it from the command line "fuse kernel kernel". (I've used fuse this way to flash the kernel before and it works fine)Most android updates I've seen use update-script, for whatever reason here they are using updater-script, and I have no idea why or where it is documented.You could probably try run_program("mv", "gpio.kl", "/system/etc/.....");or, if paths aren't set up, maybe run_program("/system/bin/mv", "gpio.kl", "/system/etc/.....");

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Here's another example of an updater-script, with a few more commands used just as an examples. Not being able to find actual documentation of the format is pretty annoying though.http://code.google.com/p/piraterum/...google/android/updater-script?spec=svn48&r=48FINALLY:And here's the list of commands (at the bottom)so if you made a directory keylayout in the root of the zip, and put gpio.kl inside it, you could try to do copy_dir("keylayout","systemetckeylayout"); and see if it works. (I've probably messed up both the file and directory names, but you get the idea). Unforunately, it doesn't look like there's a copy_file command, so you're stuck with copy_dir.

· Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What do you mean by folder support? Do you mean a File Explorer or Filing system browser?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.