Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,Just received my Android tablet today. I'm confused as to which tablet it is, I'll provide more info below.Basically I've unboxed it, fired it up and played around a bit. ITS SLOW AS A DOG. Which, I have read, may be due to the stock firmware being crap. I hope this is the case!Ok, the thing has NO BRAND. Admittedly it was purchased from eBay, but not exactly cheap cheap. On the back it has the model as the M003....HOWEVERFrom some reading I'm lead to believe that the M003 is a 350MHz processor?? I will show you the specs that this one was ADVERTISED as...Quote: "This new Apad/iPed was only released from factory last week - don't confuse it with other models floating on the Internet such as iRobot, old version of aPad, etc. This is a new model that came out of China last week in their launch. This is the 800 x 600 pixel version. There are others on ebay floating that don't meet this standard."Specs:
- Operating System: Google Android OS- RAM: 128MB DDR2 800Mhz- CPU: VIA MW8505 600MHz- Display: 8" 4:3 widescreen 800*480 high-brightness TFT LCD- Touch Control: Full size touch operation, Sliding menu, Functional icon dragging- Storage: 2GB - Orientation Sensor: automatic steering display screen- LAN:802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED network- Sound Effect: Stereo speakers device, Built-in micphone- Support High-speed SD card (maximum: 32GB)Multimedia Codes:- MP3/Audio Format- AVI (Motion JPEG) / Video Format- Word, Excel, Mail & PDF READER- Online VideoNetbook support: Ethernet 10/100M, WIFI:802.11B/G Slot list: - SD x 1(support up to 32G SDHC)- 30 pin interface- Stereo Audio out x 1- Microphone in x 1- 2 x USB2.0 Interface- ATF card interface
Ok, firstly let me note that is LIES about the product so far (don't worry I've filed a paypal claim)Does not have an SD slot, but a MicroSD (pissed because I bought a 16GB SDHC card for it prior to this arriving), It only has ONE USB interface, ATF (??wtf is that) doesn't exist unless its invisible!, no Ethernet, only B/G wifi (initially stated it was WirelessN too, but in the specs neglects to mention it). Initially states 800x600 then in the specs states 800x480.I haven't had a chance to install a terminal emulator on it yet to poke around /proc and see the real details, but based on what I've specified, what tablet do I have? And how many abusive emails should I send this eBay seller?! By the way, thanks for having me! (lol
)Kindest Regards,

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
Umm welcome and please don't hurt anyone. yeah you have to be careful, these products have become hot sellers and even the Chinese knockoffs, have Chinese knockoffs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got around to looking at /proc/cpuinfocpu is ARM926EJ-S rev 5 (v5l)coming in at around 140 odd bogomips. that makes it about a 350mhz right?greaaaat. this thing is insanely slow, almost too slow to bother using.

·
Registered
157 Posts
[quote name='montaro;9294]got around to looking at /proc/cpuinfocpu is ARM926EJ-S rev 5 (v5l)coming in at around 140 odd bogomips. that makes it about a 350mhz right?greaaaat. this thing is insanely slow' date=' almost too slow to bother using. [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE'] 280Mhz I think (bogomips*2=Mhz in ARM). Should try to use newer ROMs to speed it up. Normally it's the same hw as M001, just bigger screen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It looks a lot like the M003 sold by DealExtreme, which is afaik identical to the EKEN M003.Slow indeed. Not a real touch, more a stylus operated device. Dont expect video. Good as ebook reader, some brwosing, listening to music.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wonderful, sounds like a purchased a flat piece of junk. I figure the best thing to do is flash it with a decent firmware...However, upon trying the Darexuis port for M003.. I cannot for the life of me get it to start the flash. I have an android phone which I've flashed countless times, and it has a custom bootloader and recovery image and all sorts, and that is accessed by holding down buttons upon powering up. So I've tried this:put zip on empty sd and bootunzip disk on empty sd and bootput zip on internal flash and boot (this thing has a 1gb filesystem at /sdcard until a sdcard is inserted then the sdcard gets placed there and this one disappears)unzip disk onto internal flash and bootAll these fail, am I missing something??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thought i'd check the screen size.. so I measured it.. 16cm (6.2in) x 11.5cm (4.5in), 19cm diag (7.4in)So diagonally its coming in at 7.4" ...is it a 7" or a 8"??It appears to look exactly like: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.39448Same accessories included and apps installed (even the Van Halen song is on there...copyright??!) This one specifies a essentially 533MHz processor, along with WifiN and 800x600 display. I wonder if this is lies too?Hmmmmmmm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I know I'm probably ranting a little too much, but I hung out for nearly 2 weeks for this thing to arrive and now I'm very disappointed!So I thought I'd sit down and actually have a good play with my tablet like I normally would say...my android phone.So I fire up youtube, crashI load u their chinese tudou app for video, crashSo I download a couple of games, if they didn't crash right away, it would run soooo slowly.I thought i'd try to play an mp4, its stored on my server here, plays on my android. I download it, 10MB.. maxing out at 80KB/s when I'm sitting next to the access point!Finally got the mp4 downloaded, play it. Audio fine, video none. Shows the first frame of the video file as a still, and nothing more just audio.Are all these devices like this? This is a really really horrible tablet, and I'm so disappointed. Not to mention I paid $230 australian for it (before post).Please tell me its firmware or something!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Montaro,Thank you for sharing your real review on this iPad. It is very useful reference for those who want to buy such XPads.In several tablet forum, I have read many threads / posts in that the problem you encountered has alread been listed out. I think you ignored those reviews before you plunked you $$$ down upon those iPad clones
. I am still hold my pennies because until now I have not found a good iPad clone right for me. Though those iPad knockoffs are very cheap cheap, however, I prefer to spread some more pennies upon a well-configured XPad and enjoy a pleasant experience rather than getting a so slow APad.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote name='Brookstone;17162]Montaro' date='Thank you for sharing your real review on this iPad. It is very useful reference for those who want to buy such XPads.In several tablet forum, I have read many threads / posts in that the problem you encountered has alread been listed out. I think you ignored those reviews before you plunked you $$$ down upon those iPad clones [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/IMG]. I am still hold my pennies because until now I have not found a good iPad clone right for me. Though those iPad knockoffs are very cheap cheap, however, I prefer to spread some more pennies upon a well-configured XPad and enjoy a pleasant experience rather than getting a so slow APad.[/QUOTE'] Say there, I don't suppose you're an audio enthusiast?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.