Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A recent post got me thinking. The statement on the Novel firmware update page makes me wonder if they really know what they are doing. Quote: "Note: Firmware update process will reset Bookmark, Highlight and Note settings." It they had half a brain they would fix this. IMO this just discourages anyone that has several books in-process from updating the firmware. After all, this is a reader. It makes no sense to tell someone that is using the Novel in the way it is intended, that a F/W update will undo any work you have done on the book. I guess that it is becoming more evident that we are dealing with a Digital Picture Frame mindset! Too bad. With Velocity Micro products on the horizon, PD's Novel may just have been a flash in the pan. PD may sell a few "readers" to the BB&B crowd, but those who shop at Fry's and such will not likely endure the smell of scented candles to relieve their GAS. Cheers,kev

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I have an opinion of Pandigital support. But, I can't really write it here at it may be deemed offensive by some.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Their whole attitude seems to be, "Use this thing the way WE intend for it to be used, not the way YOU want to use it." (Wow, just got a sudden craving for an apple.)The good thing is that with the abundance of tablets that should be coming to market in the next 2-6 months we won't have to put up with Pandigital for long. I never intended to use the Novel for very long. It was and is only a cheap stop-gap and it works okay in that capacity.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote name='roebeet;48467]I have an opinion of Pandigital support. But' date=' I can't really write it here at it may be deemed offensive by some.[/QUOTE'] Oh, you're no fun! Of late, there seems to be a certain lack of passion in this forum. I guess the honeymoon is coming to an end? We need to hear how you really feel. Look it as an exercise in expressing your feelings in a proper literary fashion. Good practice at the least. Here, you may need this: Thesaurus.com | Find Synonyms and Antonyms of Words at Thesaurus.comCheers,kev

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Yeah, the honeymoon is over, I agree. I've been pretty active here for the last month, but I know myself and I know that this will come to an end, eventually. Tbh, the main thing keeping me active is the hope that the 2.1 alpha will progress to a beta build with improved video playback.As for Pandigital, I am fed up with them. I've emailed them several times and get their canned "we don't care about your opinion" emails. It's obvious to me that they have no intention of working with us, and i also have a feeling that the white box will be quietly removed from shelves as the black (cheaper) model replaces it. Nice job of blowing off your small (but dedicated) customers. Be seeing you.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I would agree they are not terribly helpful with the non-standard requests.. things like releasing source, etc., however, they have been pretty helpful on normal customer service requests about how to use the machine as it was sold.While most here would like them to be more forthcoming with information that would make hacking easier, and would even contend that this forum is a "free resource", can we really expect them to go very far outside their defined boundaries at this price point? That is probably not smart business for their bottom line.To participate in a freelance effort like what we witness here would require more employees and would lead to a more fragmented product for them to support.If they had wanted an "open product" and aimed to help facilitate that, they would have approached it much differently and may or may not have done better financially... Any criticisms of the underlying system (HW, SW and support) are only relevant as they apply to the OOB product serving its intended purpose..The things that have been done to a $100+/- product with no info from the manufacturer are amazing.. more is on the horizon. Also, they have not done things to frustrate the efforts (at least on the white unit).. I don;t know how successful they would have been if they had ried (not too successful, I suspect), but at least they didn't try. They seem to have stayed very focused on a certain business model..

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I initially thought/hoped that PD was excited about their new product (Novel), but my guess is that they are just selling boxes to the retail chain & that's it. Yes, they have provided some F/W updates, but it seems that they do so grudgingly or from a sense of obligation instead of from a feeling of real gadget enthusiasm. They are basically fixing the problems with the product rather than tinkering & upgrading it. I guess you can't realistically expect a company to jump in with a new product line with as much enthusiasm as it has been received here. After all, Velocity Micro Reader will likely trump the Novel in the areas that interest us & PD knows this. I also suspect that the white Novel was provided to PD as a 6 month exclusive, before the hardware is sold by others. As I stated previously, the Novel may coexist with the VMCR because of the retail channels that PD has & the clientele at these stores not being knowledgeable about other options except for the widely publicized eInk offerings. Cheers,kev

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think based on their choice of retailers (kohls, bb&b, etc.) they are not a "gadget" company. they only care about moving product and maximizing profits. not a bad thing (especially if you are a shareholder), but not the ideal company for us.there will be others soon that will pick up where pd left off. no big deal.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Everyone has great hopes for VMCR and I hope they are right.. but.. it appears HW is same or similar (for the reader) and their enthusiasm for the hacking/customizing crowd is untested at this point..Basically, they are the "greener grass" on the other side of the fence..If their FW on the PDN can make the PDN equivalent, then the VMCR may quickly become "overpriced"...

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Pandigital.... I can only shake my head. They had a two month head start, and at the time this thing came out it was the best anywhere near its price point. Then they didn't release the source, buggered the fw, ignored the hacker crowd, mislead (assuming it doesn't come out today) regarding releasing the source... A lot of good will wasted. I imagine they didn't know what they had, and were sort of shell-shocked when we told them. On the other hand, we sort of made life hard for them by getting the info about decimating the price out to EVERYONE, and then returning THOUSANDS of these things because of fairly minor, cosmetic issues. I would love for Pandigital to pick up the pieces and right the ship. I think that the VMCR, if similar enough to swap fw may do that for them, especially if they release the source. I disagree that the enthusiasm is lacking, I think though that it's now tinged with frustration. We're pushing the ceiling, but can only get so far without help, and everyone knows it. The PR guy I was emailing with has completely ignored me for weeks now. I sent him the AOTS review of the black, I mentioned the GT78 being a competitor. I don't know what they're doing at this point. Mentioning that the fw update will erase bookmarks is on the low end of my frustration. Still, as I said, these things will all be obsolete soon, and we'll be on to the next one.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
My emails to them had nothing to do with the hacked firmware, it was specific to their stock firmware. I have issues with their music player (Vorbis support lacking) and the mediocre video playback and got canned responses on both.The Vorbis playback actually improved with the 8/6(?) firmware, as tags are somewhat supported. But, it's not 100% fixed. The video playback, AFAIC, a major defect that they need to fix - they advertised it as a feature so they need to make it work properly.My other issue with the OF is the music playback, in general - the headphone out is "fuzzy" and it lags on occasion. the HP out is probably not fixable, but the lagging should be looked at. I should send another email so they can blow me off again - I love being ignored. :/

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess, rather than waning enthusiasm, I should say loss of momentum. Although, it's normal for the "new" to wear off, but PD did not do their part to encourage our enthusiasm or help the momentum. I am sure they never intended the Novel to be anything more than a glorified picture frame/eReader & still don't entertain the idea. I am glad they had the good sense to choose the decent hardware that they did. They could easily have launched with blackie & where would we be now if that had happened? Any thoughts on the likelihood that VM may lock down the Reader so it doesn't kill the Tablet sales? They have to have thought about it. Cheers,kev

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
So far, the videos don't seem to indicate that it's locked down. They have their own market app and the status bar area is altered, but we might be able to add apps using adb. We will see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.