Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Don't like the reviewer saying he saw "little lag" while using the tablet. I would expect a Tegra 4 tablet to have zero lag. But the resolution is nice, let's see how it's priced.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
I'm concerned with a tablet's battery life when running a 1,600 x 1,200 screen. I honestly don't think a tablet this size benefits to a great extent at this resolution. You pretty much need to "rob Peter to feed Paul" as the 8" form factor doesn't give one a lot of room to increase the battery mAh size. I'd rather it have a 8" tablet with lower resolution screen (more like 1,280 x 720) and better battery life. I think the lag issue present during that hand's on review is just firmware based and hopefully that will get sorted out with the firmware they release the tablet with.

I'm also not keen on tablets that use slot covers over peripheral ports as they are flimsy and just waiting to fall off. Also not too happy about the speaker placement as one of them are sure to be covered up by your hands when holding the tablet.

smithmal

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i agree about the resolution. on a 8" tablet, I think 1280X720 would be great and would help with performance and battery life.

i'm still using an HP Touchpad that's 9.7" with 768x1024 and I've got no real complaint...

·
Registered
77 Posts
1600x1200 is a 4:3 resolution in between 1024x768 and the retina 2048x1536. Thus the HP Slate 8 Pro is only the second ipad mini "clone" to become available in the US from a mainstream manufacturer, along with the somewhat mediocre Acer A1-810. It should be much better than the Acer and I fear a lot more than $200, although probably less than the ipad mini at $329.

1280x720 is a 16:9 resolution so irrelevant here. Typical Android resolution is actually 16:10 or 1280x800, a resolution typically used on mid-range 7" tablets. I have personally been waiting for this resolution since I can see jaggies on text at 1024x768. The upcoming LG Gpad 8.3 is also appealing, however it too has a 16:10 aspect ratio and while the 1920x1200 screen is said to be beautiful, I think everything will be a little too small for me.

I find it very interesting that the resolution of the "retina" ipad mini has not leaked. Surely an 8" tablet does not need a 2048x1536 screen eating up battery life while 1600x1200 would allow all the existing apps to scale up pretty well and be a good compromise. I'm probably going to buy the HP tablet and pass along my Chuwi v88 unless it is crippled by 1GB of RAM or some other silly design decision.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Interesting blurb from Mike Cane's blog:

As for the Tegra 4 … the word is that many vendors passed on using it due to thermal and energy issues. When running at full speed, it runs hot. And it also chews up the battery. Those are the things that have been said. We'll have to see if real life validates any of that.

http://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2013/09/19/hps-slate-8-pro-tablet/

Very little info out there on the Tegra 4 tablets. Considering the release month is less than two weeks away, I find that odd.

smithmal

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Weight won't be that big of a deciding factor for me. I love the size and resolution is what I wanted. The Tegra 4 shouof be power for streaming and Kindle/Nook apps. That is what I want it for.

Also, Mike has an update also on price for 16gb Will be around $329

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm disappointed that HP priced it so high but I gotta say the Nook HD I bought while my Chuwi v88 is being fixed has been great. The higher resolution more than makes up for the smaller screen and because the resolution is more standard a number of apps like Flipboard work better. CM 10.1 (JB 4.1.2) installed to the emmc is completely stable and very fast; the experience is much better than any v88 ROM I've used. I honestly don't notice that the cpu is a slower dual core with only one Gb of ram. I actually prefer the build quality of the Nook. When the Chuwi comes back I'll give it my wife and continue to use the Nook as my daily small tablet until the price of the HP and LG come down. As it is I feel no need for an alternative 7" tab. A Nook refurb is literally half of what I paid for the v88 and to my mind 50% better.

Oh, and the wifi spanks the Chuwi. I can go to coffee shops that don't offer wifi (wtf) and still check email.

Sent from my Nook HD running CM 10.1 using Tapatalk HD.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
10 days and little to no reviews on this tablet. I'm assuming this means that it isn't selling well. That should bode well for a quicker reduction in price. My "mendoza line" would be $250 or less.

The nVidia 7" Tegra 4 model is getting so-so reviews and is mainly getting slammed for a lackluster screen. However, unlike the HP model it is selling for only $200 which seems about right.

smithmal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts