Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'm so used to breaking and having to fixrevert stuff as I develop that doing so has pretty much become second nature. I figured it would be good to do a writeup to allow other people to do the same, especially since we often see entire threads dedicated to "I deleted my _____ ,does anyone have a copy from the ______ firmware?"

Everything I'm referring to here (unless otherwise specified with a link) is in reference to files found inside an unzipped Pandigital firmware zip file. There should be no need to ask "Where can I download ___________"

1) Fixing individual files from a new firmware.

a) The main "guts" of the pandigital software that most people interact with are in system.img. system.img is formatted in yaffs2 format. If you use Linux, you've probably said "yes, hello, BORING, I've already got it mounted!!" and then you promptly leave for another thread.

However if you use Windows, you'll need this tool to extract it. Life, Audio, and Computers According to Richard: Unyaffs Windows Binary

b.) Now, unzip your firmware file( if you haven't already), and drop the 2 files from the zip (unyaffs.exe and cygwin1.dll) into the root of the unzipped pandigital file. So, if you look in there, you should see unyaffs.exe, cygwin1.dll, and system.img, all together in the same folder.

c) Now go to a command prompt, and navigate to the unzipped pandigital folder. Type "unyaffs.exe system.img". It will work for a while, and eventually say it reached the end of the file.

d) Now, if you look in the folder, you will see a whole directory structure matching the PDN. (Advanced tip: If you want to keep the structure seperate from the rest of the recovery files, make a seperate "system-extracted" folder, put system.img, unyaffs and cygwin in there, and run the command there)

e) Now, you should be able to find any file you want to revert in there. So if you broke PDReader.apk, it will be in <your unzipped folder>app (or <unzipped folder>system-extractedapp if you used my advanced tip). Copy it to wherever you are comfortable with(your adb.exe directory, usually) Use adb.exe push them back over to fix it, and the format should be the same as the original hack.

Generally, if you pushed a hack over manually, you can just match up the same structure from the end of the push command to find the original PDN file. So, for instance, my market fix is pushing a file, framework.jar, to /system/framework/. If you go into <your unzipped folder>framework, you should see framework.jar.

Hope this helps people (and cuts down on our extra threads/posts!) lawman, please sticky if you get a chance and deem this useful enough.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
x2 to lawman. Another great post!

·
Registered
1,351 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
roebeet said:
x2 to lawman. Another great post!
clockworx, not lawman. I'm the "Special" one here - he's the coding machine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts