Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Until Roger adds it to the next version of Vestinious, here's how to get swap working automatically at startup. The answer is to kick off the /usrinit.sh script from within the /init.rc. Both are in the root directory on the M001. (NOTE: If you're using Windows, get Notepad++ to edit the file as *nix systems like unix, linux and android can get upset by the invisible characters many Windows editors leave in text files.) Notepad++ | Download Notepad++ software for free at SourceForge.netRight down the bottom of the file, after it starts the telnetd service, I added:service usrinit /system/bin/sh /usrinit.shuser rootgroup rootoneshotThis makes the init process run the usrinit.sh....and usrinit.sh is the script that defines the swap and turns it on. I saved the init.rc and rebooted and swap was active on startup.
 

·
Firmware Dev
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Linuxluver is talking about the ROM being alterted before you flash your Eken here.Ive added the swap lines to 1.2.1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote name='Bhaalz;40893]How do i view the files in windows' date=' when using explorer none of the files on root are visible?[/QUOTE']I actually did the editing with Root Explorer....but there may be people who need to copy the file off the M001 to their PC, edit it, then copy it back again. Vestinious allows root access on the M001, so a file manager that works with root can see the file and you can copy it to the sdcard....and then copy it to your PC. I'm assuming people knew how to move files around. Not always a valid assumption.
 

·
Firmware Dev
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Ive just found out that if I connect using USB cable to linux I can run gparted and make a swap partition on my SD card (still in M001) and then in Better Terminal set a swap up !Thats quite handy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
362 Posts
Roger Calver;41159 said:
Linuxluver is talking about the ROM being alterted before you flash your Eken here.Ive added the swap lines to 1.2.1
Any chance of getting a swap file on an M70003?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roger Calver;43626 said:
Ive just found out that if I connect using USB cable to linux I can run gparted and make a swap partition on my SD card (still in M001) and then in Better Terminal set a swap up !Thats quite handy
Yes! Good find. I bought a cheap sdcard reader (NZ$18 = US$12-ish?) and I now do them in the USB card reader attached to an Ubuntu Linux box and use gparted. Linux makes all this Android stuff so easy....
 

·
Firmware Dev
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Using Better Terminal (in downloads section) type freeThis will show you your memory, if it shows 0 in swap you may have to redo the swap partition and enable it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
362 Posts
Ps. Can you use both micro SD cards and microSDHC cards in these machines? I searched the database but found no answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Looks like swap is on.thanks again. total used free shared buffersMem: 104964 101708 3256 0 40Swap: 131064 12360 118704total: 236028 114068 121960I still have the acore problem with the default home launcher,but home ++ adw and zeam all work without a hitch.Go figure Thanks again Roger. Great work.
 

·
Firmware Dev
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Labovski;44297 said:
Ps. Can you use both micro SD cards and microSDHC cards in these machines? I searched the database but found no answer.
Yes it works with both types using an adapter.
 

·
Firmware Dev
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
[quote name='jleiser;44298]Looks like swap is on.thanks again. total used free shared buffersMem: 104964 101708 3256 0 40Swap: 131064 12360 118704total: 236028 114068 121960I still have the acore problem with the default home launcher' date='but home ++ adw and zeam all work without a hitch.Go figure Thanks again Roger. Great work.[/QUOTE'] Yep thats working.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
362 Posts
Roger Calver;44301 said:
Yes it works with both types using an adapter.
An adapter? For the microSD-card or for the microSDHC-card? Aren't they the same size and shape?
 

·
Firmware Dev
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Labovski;44306 said:
An adapter? For the microSD-card or for the microSDHC-card? Aren't they the same size and shape?
Yes they are but the M001 has a normal SD card slot and not a micro sd slot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
362 Posts
Roger Calver;44308 said:
Yes they are but the M001 has a normal SD card slot and not a micro sd slot.
Aha. Sorry. I've got an M70003 and it only has a micro SD slot. But it should be possible to use both cards then?
 

·
Firmware Dev
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
Labovski;44309 said:
Aha. Sorry. I've got an M70003 and it only has a micro SD slot. But it should be possible to use both cards then?
It should be able yes, if it can use the sdhc one then the other will work.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top