Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howto be able to kill Telephone application on Stock FW?

What is meant with "rooting" a device?

Can i kill the telephone app when i rooted my device?

please explain, thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello
Rooting a device means obtain the root acount access level android is running on top of a linux an in linux root is the account for the administrator and can change and do anything in the system. You need to change the name of some files to kill the phone app and you need root access lebel for that

Welcome

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you tell me what files i have to modify to be able to tweak my T9? Kill Phone app and every other garbage system apps? thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Can you tell me what files i have to modify to be able to tweak my T9? Kill Phone app and every other garbage system apps? thanks
Hi, yes, but its already documented in the T9 FAQ thread by MrTasselhof.

simply put:
(recomended you first upgrade to firmware 0929 as that is the one i used)
you need a microsd card FAT32 formated and placed into the external microsd slot. ( i used a 1GB microSD )
you need a gingerbreak 1.2.apk you can find it in forums its easy..
you need to enable USB debugging that its in the Developtment configuration category if i dont recall it wrong

install gingerbreak 1.2 then with all in place press root device

wait and be very patient ( recomended that you plug your ac adapter while doing this ).
i did wait about 4 - 5 minutes... but its said that it could take more, so dont rush ).

once that is ready T9 should reboot itself, wait again for it to load fully.

now you should have a rooted device and will be able to open ES Explorer ( or i recomend to use root explorer )
just download it from the market or google root explorer.apk

and go to /system, there you should find all the files that need renaming ( i choose not to delete but rename from file.apk to file.old )
the last one you should rename is phone.apk as that one reboots the device.

just after the reboot you should go to settings and "deactivate airplane mode" as this creates a process that
drains the battery, and uncheking it doesnt create anything. you should perceive a 40 - 50 more minutes of battery life after this.

best regards,
Miguel.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the instructions but i was stupid and could not wait...

i rooted with z4root (worked great)

installed "Super Manager" and deleted the phone.app with the integrated Task Manager...

tablet still works but i get some error message from time to time...

is there a way to get that phone.apk i deleted back?

i am on android 2.2 froyo

THANKS A LOT ALREADY FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!! :/

·
Registered
65 Posts
i think yes,

i could extract it from my device but i have 0929 with gingerbread and i dont know if they are the exact same file.

what firmware version are you using? you are runing one of the 2.2 firmwares but when i got mine it already had 2.3 so, i
really dont know what file to recomend for you to download.

i don't know how your T9 is working with that firmware, but i used MrTasselhofs backup image ( which is 2.2 ) and upgraded to 0929 ( 2.3 ) from that, and ever since its working quite stable.

best regards,
Miguel.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the 0929 2.3 android version is working stable already? its the latest version right?

do you know if the factory is still working on bugfixing 2.3 or have they stopped working on 2.3?

right now... after today... my T9 is working but its lagging and hanging all the time... maybe its because i rooted it? or because of the missing phone.app? dont know...

maybe i am going to reinstall from tasselhoffs image... i was quite happy with 2.2, although its older... heard only bad things from 2.3 till now...

back to topic:
my froyo version is eng.foxluo.20110706.113423 test-keys...

is there a way back from 2.3 to 2.2? downgrading with tasselhoffs image?

·
Registered
65 Posts
yes 0929 is the lastest version with 2.3

well, mine came with 2.3 very unstable frecuently crashing apps and all that, i upgraded to 929 from my stock and improved
then came the hole internal microsd corruption.

but since i imaged my microsd with tasselhof's backup image and upgraded that directly to 929 its very stable
and after some tweaking i have flash 11, adobe 10, no complains i even got microphone working and very good 1080p videos
playing withiout glitches, ( i use MX playe for that )

to get back to 2.2 i guess the safest choice is tasselhof's backup image.

the one thing that makes me more confident about this device is that all software needed for it to operate is in an
removable microsd card and not in some soldered chip which makes it harder for disaster recovery.

my 2.3 is working fine.

p.d. you said factory but you meant market right? market works, but some programs said they were incompatible with my device
i used the T9 FAQ for full market support and now it all works. ( flash 11 etc.. )

·
Registered
84 Posts
i got full market and everything working just fine on the froyo 2.2 0706 version

thats why i will stay on it till anything bothers me... never change a running system you know!

i dont know i just switched from normal "Android Launcher" to "ProLauncher" and my laggs are not there anymore... maybe it has something to do with the missing phone.apk cause it used to work before w/o probs...

what if i use the "upgrage 0706.zip" on 0706 FW, will i get my phone.apk back then? will it work that way? upgrading with the same? I just want to go back to standard settings before i rooted, before i deleted shit... i want STOCK Firmware without any changes BACK. With Stock i mean the latest Froyo 0706...

no i meant if the FACTORY, the Company, the seller, inle.cc, or the coders... STILL work on future updates for 2.3... or if it is the last version already... cause 1 month passed w/o a new release...

new question:
I want to replace my internal sd card with a new one, new is 16gb class4... if i pull out the old one, is it going to work if i just copy&paste data from old to new sd card, put new sd card in and start? will it work?

new question2:
what have you done to TWEAK your T9? renamed/disabled phone.apk? and more? tell me please... and how did you handle the error messages, cause i think the phone.apk is needed for much more android apps... cause if i want to look at Settings-> About device it gives me an error that its missing phone.apk...

question3:
what is going to happen if i press the HARDWARE RESET Button?

and yeah, youre right, i picked the T9 also because of the internal microsd, its very noob friendly... on my MID v8 its a internal Nandflash... hard to upgrade / replace...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm also in 0929 firmware, but microphone still not working correctly.
Well mine is working i can input voice searchs and stuff ( i really dont use it that much but
it is working ) i had 2.3 0929 upgraded from a previous 2.3 and it didn't worked but when
i had a problem with the microsd card, and reimaged tasselhof's 2.2 backup image and then
upgraded directly to 929 from that, it worked normally.

best regards.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i think it will if you use the dd imaging method like i did with the content of the original microsd card. but you will need to edit the partition sizes manually after that or the 16gb will seem like a 4gb because of the partitioning info copied.
I am not on linux. I am using Windows 7. dd imaging is a unix tool. I thought it would be enough to just copy&paste data from old to new sd card and that's it. Do i HAVE TO use dd for it or can i just copy&paste?

Howto edit the partition size /or/ partition info? is there a file? on the tablet or how i am going to do this?
could you make a short step to step tutorial for me and others?

i dont know howto do that...

THANKS BIG TIME!! THANKS A LOT FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi copy and past from windows wont work as you will only see the the fat32 partition of your microsd card you wont be able to see the other partitions so you must use some easy linux like ubuntu or use winimage for creating and writing the full microsd content.

For the resizing of the partitions ubuntuis recomended i dont know any free windows utility to do it.

As for the tutorial i havent done this myself but i can assist you on the steps first you might want to download vmware player 4 and the ubuntu 11.10 install disk you will need a microsd usb reader for easy access to the microsd in the virtual machine. Once you have a working ubuntu install on thevirtual machine let me know

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am running Ubuntu on my other old PC.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What version of ubuntu? I use 10.10 and above because of the disk utility

Ensure you have this app installed it is called disk utility
Do you have a way of accesing the microsd card in ubuntu?

To backup your internal microsd use this command as root
dd if=/dev/(name of your microsd that can be sda sdb sdc and so on...) of=/home/myimage.img
if means input file of means output file

To write an image to the microsd revert the if and of parameters

All this can also be done in windows with winimage i think its simpler in windows and then use ubuntu to change partitions sizes

·
Registered
84 Posts
nvm i got it now...

used lockdismount + roadkil's imagetool (explained in MrTasselhof's image tutorial on T9 forum) to create image of old and then wrote image onto new... till then it worked great...

then i opened "EASEUS Partition Manager free" i can see all 4 partitions + 1 unallocated space... so i extended the FAT32 partition to fill up the rest of space... worked also flawlessly...

but after that: i cant access the sd card via windows7 anymore, always prompts me to format the drive.

but in the Partition Manager everything looks fine....... i see all the partitions...

How to fix that?

#edit1:
i see the problem now, the drive letter "H:" is not on the FAT32 partition anymore, it's on another "partition"... i am redoing the image and everything... maybe that fixes it
#edit2:
redone everything... after extending fat32 partition the drive letter jumps over to another partition and therefor can not be accessed by windows, but maybe its no problem for android?

·
Registered
84 Posts
i now used gparted to extend partition.... it worked great

put my T9 back together... everything works as it should till now...

just one bad thing: i damaged one of the last 2 screws so i wont be able to put in my screwdriver... really shit chinese screws... didnt put a lot pressure on it... :/

thanks for everything dude

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi sorry for the delay i was at work.

Great you maded congratz.

I am going for a diferent approach i want to change 3 of the four partitions giving 2gb for cache 8 for internal storage and 4 for user data, as i already have a 32 gb external microsd dont need that space. Also i have an issue with my mount points where my external microsd gets mounted ontop of my internal user data.

As soon as i have the chance will buy a 16gb class 10 you should create a compressed file of your microsd image and publish it for us it might come handy

Best regards
Miguel

·
Registered
65 Posts
i upgraded my microsd card to 16gb class 10 today, works a little better.

i have problems trying to modify the data and cache partitions if i touch them the device won't boot.

i created an image file of my working 2.3 929 already rooted, lcd density changed to 160, phone apps disabled,
and market's fingerprint changed for the "incompatible market apps" to install.

i just dont have a way to publish it. (around 600mb )

1 - 20 of 20 Posts