Android Tablets Forum banner

How to Update Firmware

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Peter Dark 
#1 ·
The release of the custom SlateDroid ROM promises to be a lot faster and more light-weight than the current firmware. But in the meantime we recommend that you use the official firmware for the time being. Fortunately ikanos was able to obtain the updated firmware and has written a short guide on how to do this (taken from the old Google Groups page)If you are having troubles maintaining a connection with the supplied cable then try using a standard iPod cable - it is a much more stable fit.
Sorry for the wait, busy day ... here's the link to the file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6955629/script.rarUnzip all the content of the rar file onto a blank SD card - if done properly the SD card should only have one directory called "script". Detailed instructions I received/followed below. Use at your own risk ... but hope it helps! Instructions for operation system update and re-flash. When the laptop operation system experience failure or slow down after long term usage. You can re-flash the system rom. Please beware that all the files in the laptop will be deleted after Rom re-flash. Items to prepare:1) Folder ?script? file. 2) SD card (suggest 512MB to 2 GB SD card), no file inside. Step to refresh or upgrade the ROM Instructions1) Copy the WHOLE FOLDER ?script? into the plain SD card. If you already have the SD card with ?script? ROM file, please skip to step 2. (Reference: The unzipped ?script? folder is about 42.9MB. If the SD card is in E drive. The unzipped ?script? folder pathway is like this, E:script ) 2) Connect the laptop to power. 3) Insert that SD card to the laptop when the laptop is off. 4) Turn the laptop ON by pressing the power switch. 5) ?. Then it will switch into system update mode automatically similar as. The screen will show ?(XXX system name) System_Update after 5 Seconds?. After this screen, the ROM will proceed update automatically. (remark: If the system_update is not started, please check the SD card and press the reset button at the back of the laptop by using a pin. Then restart the above procedure.) 6) The rom installation / flashing need to take about 5-10 minutes and automatically. Do not turn off the system during installation. It does not need any manual input during installation. The whole process is in word command mode. When the installation complete, it will show the instruction ?Please remove the SD card and restart the system?. Then please follow the instruction to remove the SD card and restart the system. The rom system is installed.

#4 ·
I wonder if I've bricked my device the first day I have it?I tried to put the official firmware update on it.It loaded correctly, just like it was supposed to.But now that I've rebooted, it hangs on the first screen.... been over 30 minutes, maybe 40.Is this normal?I assumed it would come back on as normal.

#5 ·
[quote author=pphilipp link=topic=15.msg1240#msg1240 date=1274382191]I wonder if I've bricked my device the first day I have it?[/quote]Not quite.I saw in another post that someone had put Windows CE on, then was able to reinstall Android.This worked for me!It wouldn't update from Android to Android until I loaded Wince... I guess as a buffer between the two.Who knows?But, it works now!!

#6 ·
[quote author=szvtian link=topic=15.msg920#msg920 date=1274222127]hi everybodyI have disassembled my EKEN-M001 ;Dthat CPU modle is wm8505+ ,I can not find this model chip datasheet. I will call VIA at the local office staff to obtain information related to confirmed and upload eken-m001 core board picture Tomorrow[/quote]Cool, put some pics here....

#7 ·
[quote author=pphilipp link=topic=15.msg1245#msg1245 date=1274387305][quote author=pphilipp link=topic=15.msg1240#msg1240 date=1274382191]I wonder if I've bricked my device the first day I have it?[/quote]Not quite.I saw in another post that someone had put Windows CE on, then was able to reinstall Android.This worked for me!It wouldn't update from Android to Android until I loaded Wince... I guess as a buffer between the two.Who knows?But, it works now!![/quote]wow, I'm going to have to try that, I have the same issue you did, installed new Firmware, everything seemed hunky dory, and then it would just hang on that screen... will have to try Win CE first before I spend the $$$ to ship it back to the seller for a replacement... looks like I've got plans tonight afterall ;)

#9 ·
OK, now I'm REALLY confused... My tablet loads and boots WinCE (no touch screen capability, but it's all there), and can complete install every version of Android that I've flashed to (1.7.1, 1.7.2, ECOTOX, Willo, DroidBook) down to "Remove SD to reboot" but no matter WHAT flavor of Android I use, it hangs on the boot screen. ECOTOX's rom drops to an error message (not force close, but similar), and last night after loading Droidbook, it went to a black screen that would flash noticeably off and on but show no images. I've flashed all these roms, tried different SD cards, different formatting of the SD cards, different unzipping processes, I even tried from not only a Win7 machine, but from a Linux based netbook. I don't understand in the slightest how WinCE can load/boot/run, but NO version of Android will cooperate.... The fact that WinCE installs and boots shows that the device is not bricked, and I've been able to re-install it more than once after a failed Android install... This makes me dread calling it quits and sending it back to the seller, costing me half the price of the device in shipping when it really seems that it's just a setting or something like that which causes a glitch. With this new WinCE development, anyone have any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.