Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'd like to open and modify the img-files of the firmware - just to remove these nice chinese programs, to directly install skyfire and so on. Did anyone make it to uncompress them? How? I've been trying for 3 days - without success...

·
Registered
48 Posts
[quote author=nasenbaer76 link=topic=421.msg3585#msg3585 date=1275291523]Hi guys, I'd like to open and modify the img-files of the firmware - just to remove these nice chinese programs, to directly install skyfire and so on. Did anyone make it to uncompress them? How? I've been trying for 3 days - without success...
[/quote]If you're linux user, you can uncompress system.img that is cramfs filesystem.I'm not sure the package name because I'm office, It may be "mkcramfs".use "cramfs" to unpack system.img and use "mkcramfs" to repack files to system.imgI tested and It works well, But as I mentioned the name is not sure.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How can I extract the contents of a CRAMFS image file?Extracting the contents of a CRAMFS imageTo mount a CRAMFS image on a Linux workstation, you will need kernel support for the CRAMFS filesystem (CONFIG_CRAMFS; File systems -> Compressed ROM file system support) and loopback block devices (CONFIG_BLK_DEVICE_LOOP; Block devices -> loopback device support). The kernels for ADS embedded systems have CRAMFS support built-in; if you wish to avoid compiling a kernel, you can perform this process on your ADS board instead of a Linux PC.To mount a CRAMFS image, use the command: mount -o loop -t cramfs image_file /mount/pointUse 'tar' to copy the CRAMFS filesystem to a temporary directory: cd /mount/point tar -cf - . | tar -C /temporary/dir -xpf -You will need to be 'root' to copy the files without losing the proper permissions.Creating a new CRAMFS imageTo create a CRAMFS image, you will need the 'mkcramfs' utility. Under Debian, you can install this program by running: apt-get install mkcramfsTo create a CRAMFS image from a directory, run: mkcramfs /temporary/dir new_image_fileTaken from: http://www.applieddata.net/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1636It works for me:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
[quote author=nasenbaer76 link=topic=421.msg3635#msg3635 date=1275315529]Thanks a lot! Worked fine for me. But how to uncompress the update.img? [/quote]There ar AFPToll.exe in APAD official update program.You can uncompress with that program.AFTTool -unpack update.img target-folderAFTTool.exe in MydroidDevTool_v1.0rockdev of update program.I can download update.img of archos 7 home tablet and unpack it with this program also.

·
Registered
50 Posts
@hellomerongHow did you do that? I think the file is encrypted or not?If i try to unpack with afptool it gives me some errors and the system.img is not created.Can you confirm this?EDIT: I did get it to work. the image directory must be inplace

·
Registered
48 Posts
[quote author=jlove link=topic=421.msg3642#msg3642 date=1275318405]@hellomerongHow did you do that? I think the file is encrypted or not?If i try to unpack with afptool it gives me some errors and the system.img is not created.Can you confirm this?EDIT: I did get it to work. the image directory must be inplace[/quote]According to AFTTool help, you should use like below.AFPTool.exe -unpack update.img xxx unpack filesBut Help is wrong, you should not use xxx, just use like belowAFPTool.exe -unpack update.img xxxAnd We don't need to use AFPTool for repackingBecause RKAndroidTool.exe makes update.img automatically.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Guys keep up the good work! It looks like you are on your way to create some cooked ROMs for us. :)I'm currently using the aPad for some Android development (adjusting my apps to MIDs), so I will not try anything you bake up just now, in case something goes wrong. But nonetheless, I'm waiting for the first custom ROM. Let me know if you need a place to host, I got some space.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, well, allright, I made it to "cook" a ROM without these crappy chinese apps. Using the tips of the last posts in this topics you can open end edit system.img and update.img.First open and edit system.img (e.g. delete/replace/add some apps - in *.apk-format) and copy it to the RK28 - img - folder. Just Overwrite the existing system.img.Then open the update.img. There you find another folder with images. There you also replace the system.img by your version and recompress the update.img.Copy this to your RK28 img folder and reflash your device WITH the update.img box checked.Voil?, now you've got a device without the mess.All modifications at your own risk. Not for absolute noobs...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts