Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey I am new to Android and noticed my Gentouch does not recognize Ad Hoc networks. I have a jailbroken Iphone 3g and I have a program called MyWiFI to create a wifi hotspot using my 3g connection. I am assuming MyWiFI creates a Adhoc connection and this is why my Gentouch will not see it. Is there anyway to configure Android to recognize Adhoc networks?Edit: MyWiFi does setup a adhoc on the iphone

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ive been looking into this with no luck at all. It seems android doesn't support ad hoc. There is some work arounds out there but none of them has worked for me. The GT dont seem to have this file tiwlan.ini to edit. My wifi is broken because of it. Im hoping the new augen patch will fix it. here is some links. Forums Down For Maintenance | xda-developersHow to get OLSR running on the Galaxy Samsung Android phone | www.olsr.orgHow to connect to Ad Hoc networks using Tmobile G1 Android | HydTech

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it only allows for dhcp, but I am researching other programs right now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My experience with Ad-hoc networking the Gentouch to a Droid:I can confirm that it does indeed work. I do not have my Gentouch on me right now so I will try and explain from memory the steps I think need to be done for this to work.1. Create a new network connection from the built in "Wi-Fi Settings" tool, I called mine "Droid".2. Ensure that your ad-hoc source is set to broadcast the same SSID as in step 1 (ie. "Droid"). I am currently using "Android-Wifi-Tether Wireless Tether for Root Users version 2.0.5-pre8"3. On the Gentouch, edit the /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf file. In the network section that you created in step 1 (ie. "droid") add a mode=1 line and change the priority to 99 (not sure if this is necessary or not). As the last line in the upper section add ap_scan=2 (this is very important).Note: Step 3 can be accomplished by pulling the file via adb, editing it with a text editor, and re-pushing the file. What I did not like about this method is that the premissions continually got fouled up resulting in an "unable to start wifi" notice when you tried to turn it on. If this happens all you need to do is (either at the command prompt or through adb shell) run the following commands:suchown wifi.wifi /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.confMy preferred method of performing this is through root explorer (can be obtained on the market for $0.99 I think). Using root explorer just click the mount as R/W button and navigate to the /data/misc/wifi folder. Long press on the wpa_supplicant.conf file and select "open in text editor". Make the changes stated in step 3 and press the back button. It will automatically backup hte edited file and save the changes. I like this method because it can be done on the fly (which you will see is neccessary) and because it does not result in ownership issues.4. Start your ad-hoc source, give it a bit to initiate5. On the Gentouch, open the built in "Wi-Fi Settings" tool. Click "Turn on Wifi". It should immediately see your ad-hoc AP (usually whether it's actually turned on or not) and try to obtain an IP address.6. If it says "Unsuccessful" click the turn off the wifi and turn it back on. It seems to take as many as 3 or 4 cycles for mine to connect sometimes.7. This is where I get a bit fuzzy. Sometimes I will turn on the wifi and my "droid" AP never shows up in the scan. When this happens I notice that the ap_scan=2 line has dissapeared from my wpa_supplicant.conf file. Re-adding the line solves the problem (hence the conveneience of using root explorer instead of ADB). I believe that if you connect to any infrastructure network it deletes the ap_scan=2 line but I have not tested this.One of these days I may work on a script that automatically does some of this for me when necessary.Hope this helps someone, I know I was frustrated for 2 weeks by this since my droid is my only internet connection. I will answer any questions I can, please update if I left anything out or if anyone finds a better way.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks collindv, I will give it shot.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Now I am getting cannot scan for networks errorsEdit: NVM I accidentally added some random letters to one of the command lines, must have bumped the screen while editing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Now I am getting cannot scan for networks errorsEdit: NVM I accidentally added some random letters to one of the command lines, must have bumped the screen while editing.
Any luck?Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not yet, I ending up working on setting up adb and doing the market fix right now. I am tired of entering terminal commands through the touch screen keyboard.

·
Registered
85 Posts
the title of this thread is miss leading. every time i read the title i think this is a How To on how to setup Ad Hoc wireless. Not asking how to do it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea I noticed that linckraker after I started the thread, but I could not edit the title. collindv I was able to get my GT to work with the adhoc, only took five or six tries and it worked lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts