Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,After I've converted my books in Calibre, how do I send them to my PDN if I'm using Aldiko as the reader? I understand that they have to be in the /ebooks/import folder on my sd, but can't seem to get Calibre to see that folder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,Wulfie

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Are you using EPUB format? I think Aldiko only supports EPUB, for imports. I just did this yesterday, after having some issues (something dumb I did). Worst case, refresh by wiping the /Adiko folder on the SD card, the Ebooks folder on the internal memory, wiping all stale books on your shelf, adding the EPUB's back to /sdcard/ebooks/import and re-trying the import.Their import process is the only negative I have about the app. It shouldn't be this complicated.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what I'm looking for is how to import books directly from Calibre to sdcard/ebooks/import, so the covers get converted as well. I read something about the 'connect to folder' option in Calibre but am unsure on how to use it

·
Registered
157 Posts
This is not quite what you asked, but I thought maybe it'd help somebody else in a related fashion. Here's what I do to share files and folders between my PDN and my computers wirelessly (because I'm too lazy to constantly mess with swapping out SD cards and USB cables).Sharing out the PDN for PC access:Option 1 - Install and use "On Air" from the Marketplace. "On Air" turns your PDN into an Appletalk/WebDAV/FTP server, depending on your choice, and you use the appropriate client from your PC/Mac/LINUX system to access it.Option 2 - Install and use "SwiFTP" from the Marketplace. "SwiFTP" turns your PDN into an FTP server. Use any FTP client to connect to it.Sharing out folders on PC's for PDN access:To go the other way, if you'd prefer, share out the folders you want on your Windows PC using the usual Windows filesharing. Install "Astro File Manager." Install the "Astro SMB Module" plug-in for the "Astro File Manager." Using "Astro File Manager" on your PDN, you can now connect to Windows shares and copy and paste files and folders between them.Going from Calibre on your PC to Aldiko on the PDN:Use one of the methods above to share out your PC or your PDN. Locate your "Calibre Library" folder. The default install of Calibre would have placed it inside your user profile folder. Within the "Calibre Library" folder will be subfolders containing your books and converted books. To transfer, copy the subfolder(s) for the books you want from "Calibre Library" to the PDN's SD card's "ebooks/import" folder. Bear in mind that, if you did a conversion, the original source file will also still be in these folders, so, if you don't want to waste time and space, you only need to move over the EPUB and its accompanying cover.jpg file (which is what Aldiko uses for the cover) and put them together in subdirectories under "ebooks/import." Then open Aldiko in the PDN and run the import process.Oh yeah...Calibre itself has a server mode that lets it act like a webserver and allows you to access (download?) its books from any web browser, but it didn't quite work for me. Might be the browser I tried (Xscope) or something. I was able to see a list of all the books in my collection but was not able to access any of them. I might look back into it someday but I preferred the above methods anyway because they are more general use (for books, music, videos, apk, anything).

·
Registered
62 Posts
if you connect the tablet to your computer via the usb cable, you will see the sd card and be able to copy books, music etc, to the folder on the sd card.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
On Air was never stable for me, kept dropping connections, but I haven't tried it since I upgraded to the 8/27 mod. I tried the Calibre-as-Server method with Dolphin, was able to download the epub, moved it to ebook folder with Astro, but it was somehow corrupted and the PDN stock book reader wouldn't read it. Didn't try other readers. Interestingly, I pulled the epub that wouldn't work back to my computer using WiFi Explorer and it was readable on my laptop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts