Android Tablets Forum banner
41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Received my Chuwi v88 in the mail yesterday. Looks like I got a decent copy. No weird issues so far. Firmware dated May 23rd (4.1.1).

Anyway, I managed to root the Chuwi using Moborobo drivers and the Shuodashi software. However, it seems that Shuodashi installed some kind of chinese 'superuser app' on the Chuwi. Now, whenever a program asks for root, I get a chinese popup window that asks me if I want to grant the program root access (at least I think this is what the popup says). This is a little annoying.

So my question (which might be stupid) is this: Can I uninstall the chinese shudashi 'superuser app' from my tablet without losing root access?
Just uninstall Chinese SU and download your preferred superuser app from the Play Store

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Just uninstall Chinese SU and download your preferred superuser app from the Play Store
You could also just continue using the Chinese SU. You just have to remember to click on the 1st button which, in Chinese means "Grant Permission." You should only need to do this one time for each app that requests root permission. Check out this post for pic details.

smithmal

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think it's easier just uninstall Chinese app and install any prefered English app.

I've found rooting of Chuwi V88s very easy, don't really understand what's the fuss here about it - I didn't installed any Chinese software, I didn't installed any Android ADB suite, what I did was download this 6MB file from OMA originally for V88 (but works for V88s 4.2.2 Stock June 20th as well):
http://crewrktablets.arctablet.com/?wpfb_dl=677

I installed one mobile phone driver included in this package manually and then I just according attached how-to inside the file pushed CWRM and root zip file into mobile and installed update from CWRM, everything supersimple done within few mins with English CWRM and English SuperSU. Also cold boot Volume+ and Power works for getting into Recovery mode.

EDIT: Just hope it wasn't easier because of some forgotten drivers from long time ago when I was rooting my chinese phone Amoi N820, I have PDAnet in computer but it doesn't seem to be related to this since tablet was not recognized ind evice menager and I had to use driver from the package.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
I think it's easier just uninstall Chinese app and install any prefered English app.

I've found rooting of Chuwi V88s very easy, don't really understand what's the fuss here about it - I didn't installed any Chinese software, I didn't installed any Android ADB suite, what I did was download this 6MB file from OMA originally for V88 (but works for V88s 4.2.2 Stock June 20th as well):
http://crewrktablets.arctablet.com/?wpfb_dl=677

I installed one mobile phone driver included in this package manually and then I just according attached how-to inside the file pushed CWRM and root zip file into mobile and installed update from CWRM, everything supersimple done within few mins with English CWRM and English SuperSU. Also cold boot Volume+ and Power works for getting into Recovery mode.
Markoff,

Thanks. I'll update the OP to mention this new method.

smithmal

·
Registered
33 Posts
I couldn't use that method as there's no drivers for 32 bit for Windows 7. I tried using Moborobo but seems wacky. Then when device was found there was no "port2" to uncheck. Only 1 that was checked.

Really need a simple way too root. My Chuwi is all screwed up now cuz I was muckin around too much

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
I couldn't use that method as there's no drivers for 32 bit for Windows 7. I tried using Moborobo but seems wacky. Then when device was found there was no "port2" to uncheck. Only 1 that was checked.

Really need a simple way too root. My Chuwi is all screwed up now cuz I was muckin around too much
Mattysensei,

Under the "drivers" folder within the "x86" sub folder there is a driver for Windows 7, so I'm not sure I understand your issue.

Also, if you want root, you can also easily obtain it by flashing one of the ROMs that are posted here (TNT or Oma). Flashing those ROMs while give you root permission by default.

smithmal

·
Registered
33 Posts
Man..... I've spent about 20 hours on this damn thing. So I don't need to be rooted to flash. Is that true? Also when I go in batch tool they only have 64 and something windows 7 versions. I'm 32 bit. Is that the problem?? Still can't get drivers to work.
Anyways got in batch tool and square is pink. Load image and hit switch my tab goes black and it says it failed.

Can someone point me the way to 32 bit windows 7 drivers and how to install

Sorry I'm completely illiterate to windows 7 had XP for ages and have flashed several tablets on livesuite

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Man..... I've spent about 20 hours on this damn thing. So I don't need to be rooted to flash. Is that true? Also when I go in batch tool they only have 64 and something windows 7 versions. I'm 32 bit. Is that the problem?? Still can't get drivers to work.
Anyways got in batch tool and square is pink. Load image and hit switch my tab goes black and it says it failed.

Can someone point me the way to 32 bit windows 7 drivers and how to install

Sorry I'm completely illiterate to windows 7 had XP for ages and have flashed several tablets on livesuite
With Oma's Rooting pack, you should see the following once you unpack/extract it (in the pick below I'm using WINRAR):

1. A folder called "Driver"
2. Within the "Driver" folder there is a "x86" folder
3. Within the "x86" folder there is a "Windows 7" folder
4. Within the "win7" folder you will see the following:

The "RockUSB.inf" is the driver that you should select when windows asks you for the drivers for your tablet.

To answer your other question, no you don't need root permission to flash a ROM using the RKBatchTool.

smithmal

·
Registered
5 Posts
i am new in rooting and i don`t have any information to start so please tell me which method can i start for the first time and please guide me step by step to root my
chuwi v88 .

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
i am new in rooting and i don`t have any information to start so please tell me which method can i start for the first time and please guide me step by step to root my
chuwi v88 .
omid_juve,

Please see directions posted in the OP for this thread.

smithmal

·
Registered
35 Posts
OMA rooting pack works just fine, flashed already three Chuwi V88s with this 6MB file without installing anything (last time yesterday), if you are following tutorial inside the file, tablet will boot into CWm, there just update from SD card the root zip file and don't forget to reboot and apply root fix at same time, I think without this the rooting process wasn't finished, but it's clearly said in instructions you must reboot

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would like to root the Chuwi is there any possibility. Because the only topic on Google found come to this Forum but the Topic is deleted or anything, I can't get into it.

Edited by smithmal:

Thanks goes out to Oma for creating this great script that will provide root and install SuperUser.

Oma Root Method file location link here.

Instructions:

1. Copy Oma_Chuwi_V88_Root_Script.zip to the root directory of you SDcard.
2. Make sure that settings are to MTP and USB-Debugging
3. Hard power off your Chuwi V88 (hold power button until it powers off)
4. While holding Volume+ (up) button
5. Plug USB into your PC (update mode)
6. Install missing drivers from driver folder if you have not already
7. Run RKAndroidTool.exe as Admin
8. Unselect option 2 (Parameter)
9. Select Flash Rom
10. Your Chuwi V88 should now have booted into Clock Work Mod.
11. Select Install zip from external SDcard
12. Scroll and install Oma_Chuwi_V88_Root_Script.zip
14. Reboot device (you will now have Super User installed and working)

Have fun!
2. I dunno what is MTP (media device?), but stock firmware has default setting set up as "Mass storage device" which is FINE and no need toc hange this after transferring root ZIP file into tablet and later when doing process and only thing you need to do change in stock firmware is enable USB debugging
4. at some point you must of course stop holding the button, otherwise tablet won't boot into CWM after successful pushing file into tablet. Btw. you should HOLD ONLY middle volume+ button wihout anything else when connecting, I would like to emphasize this since when I was rooting one of my 3 tablets for 4 time I was pushing volume- or volume+ together with power button and could not figure out where is the problem and why it doesn't work anymore.
9. the actual name of the button is not "Flash ROM" but something like Start, there are like 3 buttons and it's pretty clear which one is the one to start process
11. NO, select install zip from SD card, if you copied root ZIP file into your internal storage without inserting Micro SD card, I am always flashing without Micro SD card, so I am selecting update from SD card
14. you must choose Reboot from CWM and confirm something like Fix root, this will actually finish rooting process, if you just switch off/on tablet from CWM I ain't sure it will be rooted, I think I had first time problems because of rebooting not finished properly with fixing root

just sharing my observations after rooting 3 different Chuwi V88s on W7 32bit straight from box

·
Registered
5 Posts
omid_juve,

Please see directions posted in the OP for this thread.

smithmal
I successfully flashed Timeless Edition 1 ROM using RKBatchTool after unbricking my device. However, when I'm trying to run the root enabler script, I get "error: device not found" message. I guess the problem is missing device drivers? What drivers should I use and how do I install them? Device manager recognizes my device as "GT-I9300", which is because of the build prop market fix thing, right? There is a little yellow warning sign on the icon, but when I try to update the drivers, it refuses to recognize the drivers I downloaded. What am I doing wrong?

I would be very grateful if someone could give me a foolproof description of how to get the proper drivers working in windows. This is driving me crazy.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
I successfully flashed Timeless Edition 1 ROM using RKBatchTool after unbricking my device. However, when I'm trying to run the root enabler script, I get "error: device not found" message. I guess the problem is missing device drivers? What drivers should I use and how do I install them? Device manager recognizes my device as "GT-I9300", which is because of the build prop market fix thing, right? There is a little yellow warning sign on the icon, but when I try to update the drivers, it refuses to recognize the drivers I downloaded. What am I doing wrong?

I would be very grateful if someone could give me a foolproof description of how to get the proper drivers working in windows. This is driving me crazy.
Kalabalik,

Have you followed to the directions in the OP to obtain root and if so, what step are you stuck at?

smithmal

·
Registered
41 Posts
will this work on all versions of or chuwi's?

i have a chuwi v88s with quad in the s/n and like to root it but don't like to brick it

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
will this work on all versions of or chuwi's?

i have a chuwi v88s with quad in the s/n and like to root it but don't like to brick it
Not sure about the answer to this question as I don't own a v88S, but if you're willing to go to the extent to rooting your tablet, why wouldn't you just flash a ROM that has root in it?

smithmal

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not sure about the answer to this question as I don't own a v88S, but if you're willing to go to the extent to rooting your tablet, why wouldn't you just flash a ROM that has root in it?

smithmal
Hi smithmal,

thanks for answering!
that's a good idea, however everywhere i read about flashing other firmware to my device, but when there is quad in the S/N i can't flash that firmware and i didn't find firmware for the quad S/N version yet

here i find some info about the S/N
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=45993907&postcount=656

hope you can help me.

Erik-Martijn

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
empool,

Please provide your serial # and your kernel number. Kernel number can be found in the Settings number under the "About Tablet" within the "Kernel Version" section.

smithmal

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Hi smihmal,

Here is my kernel version:
3.0.36+
[email protected] # 102
Thu Jun 20 20:59:16 cst 2013

S/N Quad16G1130800092

Thnx!
It is my understanding that issues with v88/v88s owners flashing the native Oma Rocks ROM occurs when using tablets that don't contain "QUAD" in their S/N. Your model does, so you should be able to flash with the native ROM. To be sure, you may want to PM Oma on XDA.

smithmal

41 - 60 of 85 Posts