Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Everyone,

In this post I'm going to explain how you can revert your 9" pandigital novel from roebeet's alternate firmware to the stock firmware. I came upon this completely by accident, pay attention to what your doing with superuser status or bad stuff happens.

All you need is a terminal program, I had android terminal emulator which is a free download off the market.

**Warning**
As far as I know once you perform step 3 you can't undo the process, you have been warned.

Procedure
Is fairly simple.

1. open terminal program
2. type su and hit enter, this will give you superuser status and should give you a message saying as much
3. type rm *.* then hit enter. This just deleted files you should never ever ever ever delete by accident.
4. reboot
5. say "well isn't that interesting" when you see Android in txt on your screen with the flashing cursor
6. turn off, will have to hold down power button for 10 seconds to get it to shut down

the next step is one I'm unsure on, I held down the left arrow button while I powered the unit back up. It went straight to a screen similar to what you see when you install roebeet's firmware. It says something about reverting to original installed firmware, installs the firmware then turns off. I'm not sure if my holding the left arrow did anything or if it would have done this anyways.

once it's done installing the original firmware and turns off you can boot it back up. You'll be back up and running with your pandigital how you bought it.

Hope someone finds this useful

Edit- Upon further investigation it wasn't the left arrow but the volume buttons, they both produced the same result. Seems that the system will restore the original firmware if there's no valid OS. With reobeet's firmware in the usual spot and holding up volume it still reverted to original firmware instead of installing the alternate. Once the original was installed it would let me install the alternate firmware

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

I got a 9" Pandigital Novel for Christmas, but I couldn't read e-books from the NYPL, so I tried to use a hack I googled to upgrade the firmware in order to get Android Market so I could maybe get whatever software I needed to read the ebooks from the library. Unfortunately, I did the wrong one! I upgraded using a link for the 7", not the 9".

Here is the link I used: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2011/12/30/new-update-for-pandigital-novel-black-7-adds-android-market/#.UPD0CHe4qSo

And the link I should have used instead: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2010/07/22/new-firmware-out-for-pandigital-novel-2/#.UPDl4ne4qSo

My question is, can anyone help me get the original firmware back for the 9"? Right now, when I tell it in the settings to restore factory settings, it keeps doing that for the 7", which, of course, it now thinks it is.

I can't turn to Pandigital, because since they declared bankruptcy, their website is down & their support is no more. I feel like I now know why.

I just wanted to read!!

Thanks for any & all help,

B

·
Registered
188 Posts
bridgemix, it happens every christmas. You may want to read http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/42390-if-you-get-a-novel-for-christmas/ just for fun.

I don't think you should use the other link either, it also looks like it's for the 7" device.

It really might help us if you could post your current firmware version that is reported on your device.

Have you done anything to try to fix it since you flashed the wrong firmware?

Did you try to follow the instructions in this thread to revert back to the original firmware? why not?

Did you try to install roebeet's firmware from http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/15773-alternate-bpdn-9-inch-firmware-opdn9/ ? why not?

I'm not suggesting that you try either of those things, they probably won't work, I'm just curious what you're up for.

After you get your firmware fixed, you might start a separate thread about your books issue.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I don't have the 9 inch, so I'm not sure exactly how it behaves.

If you power it down, and then hold the volume up and power buttons for seven seconds, does it just boot up or does it go to the android on his back?

Another thing that might work is to mess with the /etc/init.smdk6410.sh file.

Your file should look like this:

#!/system/bin/sh

#ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
#route add default gw 192.168.1.1 dev eth0

mount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 /system/update && chmod 777 /system/update
/system/bin/turboutil -v -f /system/etc/turboboot.ini -i BOOTSUCCESS -c 1

# disable boot animation for a faster boot sequence when needed
boot_anim=`getprop ro.kernel.android.bootanim`
case "$boot_anim" in
0) setprop debug.sf.nobootanimation 1
;;
esac

if you change the one line to look like this: (i.e. add the # at the beginning)

#/system/bin/turboutil -v -f /system/etc/turboboot.ini -i BOOTSUCCESS -c 1

and then reboot your novel 6 times, it might revert back to factory.

I'm not certain though that the 9" model has that feature.

The way to check is after making the above changes, reboot a couple of times, and then power down. Plug in your ac adapter and just tap the power button. Not long enough to boot the unit. You should get a display showing your firmware version, battery status, and in the upper right, "boot count=x". If x is not zero, then keep rebooting until it gets to 6.

If it never changes from 0, then the change above isn't doing what needs to be done.

If it gets to 6 or 7, and the unit doesn't revert, I guess the 9 inch doesn't have that feature.

You can use any file manager app on your unit to copy the file to either an external sd card, or the PD_Novel directory, copy it to your pc, make a backup copy of the file and then use Notepad++ to edit the file. Then put it back on your unit.

Edit: On second thought, you might be able to get away with just renaming /etc/init.smdk6410.sh to /etc/init.smdk6410.keep or something like that so it doesn't get executed at all, and then reboot 6 or 7 times. I didn't try that on my unit though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It really might help us if you could post your current firmware version that is reported on your device.
Have you done anything to try to fix it since you flashed the wrong firmware?
Did you try to follow the instructions in this thread to revert back to the original firmware? why not?
I tried choosing factory reset within the console, but it still looks broken.
Settings says it is running Firmware version S64N_SLST_KOBO_PD_2011_06_01.

Did you try to install roebeet's firmware from http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/15773-alternate-bpdn-9-inch-firmware-opdn9/ ? why not?
I'm not suggesting that you try either of those things, they probably won't work, I'm just curious what you're up for.
I tried that but it didn't work for me - it didn't install a diff Firmware version, just the same one.

I tried renaming /etc/init.smdk6410.sh to /etc/init.smdk6410.keep but it didn't work for me.

I will try the next answer! Thank you so much for your help! Sorry it is not seeming to work just yet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just to let you know, last year when people flashed the old 7" firmware on the wrong device, terminander had to create a special stripped down firmware version for them to flash before flashing a full version because their systems wouldn't just flash back to a proper firmware for them. You might run into the same thing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to let you know, last year when people flashed the old 7" firmware on the wrong device, terminander had to create a special stripped down firmware version for them to flash before flashing a full version because their systems wouldn't just flash back to a proper firmware for them. You might run into the same thing.
That sounds really helpful; I can't seem to get it to take the changes at all. Is there a link you could share, please? Thank you so much for taking the time!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
bridgemix, this is a link to the discussion from last year, http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/20261-7-inch-black-android-15-20110602-op-fw-with-market/page__pid__287907__st__40#entry287907 . They had a different model than you have, so you may not be able to use the firmware files that they used, but it may lead you to a solution for your model by doing what Terminander did for their model with roebeet's firmware file for your model.

However, you haven't really said what didn't work with the things that you attempted. So it's hard to say whether you need a different solution, or just some minor tweak to the solutions you already tried. If you want us to help, we would need to know some details on what did happen when you tried the various things.

Examples:

Did the firmware try to flash, but gave a message about invalid update file? or it didn't start the flash process at all? where did you put the update file? what did you name the update file? (you should probably be naming it S64N_SLST_KOBO_PD_20110602.dat ).

Did you get any error messages when you tried the "rm *...."? Anything about read only filesystem?

Same when you tried to rename the smdk6410 file. Were you able to rename it or did you get error messages? Does your model have the bootcount shown on the powered down screen? Is it increasing after you boot?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did the firmware try to flash, but gave a message about invalid update file? or it didn't start the flash process at all? where did you put the update file? what did you name the update file? (you should probably be naming it S64N_SLST_KOBO_PD_20110602.dat ). Did you get any error messages when you tried the "rm *...."? Anything about read only filesystem? Same when you tried to rename the smdk6410 file. Were you able to rename it or did you get error messages? Does your model have the bootcount shown on the powered down screen? Is it increasing after you boot?
I don't think it started the flash process at all. It was hard to tell. I didn't name it "S64N_SLST_KOBO_PD_20110602.dat", so I will go back & retry & post what happens. I put the update .dat as it was named directly on the device via the USB cable, not through the memory, so in retrospect I've done several things that were not good choices.

I renamed the smdk6410 file but it showed a bootcount of 0, so that led me to believe that wasn't working, either

Sorry I didn't have more details earlier; I am not really that savvy with these portables, as you can see.

I didn't do the "rm *...." one yet, but I can try that next, if you think I should go with that. Or I can try the one you outline up above.

Thank you for your patience & help!

Bridgemix

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh my gosh! It's working it's working! I used the roebeet firmware & renamed it what you said; I don't know if it just needed more time while it booted or what. I also erased both the system file as well as the adobe file & left the .bat on there. Thank you so much!! And Roebeet, wherever that crazy guy is. Thanks, all!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar problem, I accidentally (call me stupid) flashed a 7" firmware on my 9" Pandigital Novel and now its all skewed.
I have a PRD09T-R90A200 PDN model.
Firmware Version - S64N_SLSB_PDUI_PD_2010_12_29
Kernel version - 2.6.29

How do I revert back to the original firmware?
Thanks in advance.

Just to add more of the problems - I now cannot use the wireless as it wont save the wireless setting. My laptop does not recognise the PDN when connected through USB.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used one of the downloads here on my pandigital 9" novel and now it is not working proper how can i reset it and re do it i try to re do it from a sd card do the hold the power button and the volume up and it just boots in to the pandigital screen does not go through the flash as you would call it ?what did i do wrong

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi i have a question i just got the 9" Pandigital Novel and i had it root but the firmware was for 7 Pandigital Novel now when i turn it on it looks all blurry and all zoomed in and the background its all green how can i unroot it back to stock can you please help i've been trying to fix it for two days now and everything i do nothing happens it stays the same
can you guys help me to restore it back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just used the above instructions to flash back to original firmware and it went flawlessly, one minor problem though after the bootup. It no longer has the userguide pdf file and will not recognize anything I add to it (Ebooks etc). I attempt to load up any of the stock apps and it says see userguide for how to use this.

If anyone has the ug pdf file I would greatly appreciate any links for it, google only comesup with the 7' models ug pdf :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Default FW does not have one but if you have the custom firmware (From the other post about installing firmware) it should be in the primary app location (Upwards pointing arrow tab at the bottom of the screen)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.