Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i remount /system so i can copy over a new build.prophere is what i am doing:./adb shellsumount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /systemI get invalid argument, tried mdtblock 0 - 4here are the results from cat /proc/mtd: cat /proc/mtd dev: size erasesize name mtd0: 00080000 00020000 "xloader-nand" mtd1: 001c0000 00020000 "uboot-nand" mtd2: 00040000 00020000 "params-nand" mtd3: 00500000 00020000 "linux-nand" mtd4: 0f880000 00020000 "jffs2-nand"Not what i would expect. I do have root on the device.thanks. ko.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was just wondering what the purpose is of this remount. I've visited a bunch of guides related to modifying the framework-res.apk file so I can customize the gui, and these guides also mention that you need to remount the filesystem. After fiddling about and looking at the active mount points in the Wits through the adb interface I came up with the following:mount -o rw,remount -t sysfs sysfs /sysI didn't get any errors with that command, and it seems pretty accurate to me, though I could well be wrong there as I'm not all that familiar with Unix/Linux. But it turns out, I don't need to remount at all. If I leave this bit out, all is well. Just need to reboot and the changes have been implemented.

·
Registered
21 Posts
bcpk;51100 said:
Remounting /system as read-write allows you to delete pre-installed applications and to change the build.prop file which is what identifies the device and sets various other settings.
Ah yes, that makes sense. I didn't realize the other guides I followed assumed the filesystem was mounted as ro in the first place. I guess Wits is an exception to the rule in providing the roms with /system (or rather '/sys', which seems to link to /system') already mounted as rw on Android systems.Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.