Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there is an apps for mapping Volume buttons(up-down) to be used for scrolling. Or another way of doing this.Thanks to all the people for the great information they are sharing.I have had my M001 only a week and love it!/biggrin.gifCharlesb

·
Registered
37 Posts
How to modify Volume buttons to scroll buttons I managed to remap the volume buttons "+" and "-" on the tablet to scroll buttons. you need to edit the files english.us.kl and qwerty.kl found in /system/usr/keylayout folder. Open each of the 2 files and replace: "key 115 VOLUME_UP" with "key 115 DPAD_UP" "key 114 VOLUME_DOWN" with "key 114 DPAD_DOWN" Save the files and restart the tablet! That's it!

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
bonjour et merci beaucoup pour cette astuce very nice lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
i'm glad it's usefull! i did this mod because i broke the original touchscreen on the tablet (dropped the tablet from the table while it was charging) and the new touchscreen i got from Ebay was good but scrolling was a pain. the original touchscreen was way more responsive. i will try the new drivers from 1.9 firmware, to see for any difference

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again razvanesq80 fr all the help.I can use fs file explorer to open file and edit it, but it will not allow me to save over old file.Properties of file is non-writable. Is there a way to change these properties?ThanksChralesb(Note: I am using 1.9 drivers)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I am also have same problem can't save the file even I chmod 777 tothe file. Even though I tried to copy it to sd card change it save and copybut still doesn't allowed.So what I done use the adb, adb pull the file I have save and than adb push to/system/usr/keylayout or the right place. If not I think just adb pull the fileand edit it on computer then push back to the device.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I figuring out why can't save with ESFileExplorer, it use to be I forgotten to enable Root options after update the ES File Explorer.To make sure ES File Explorer can edit on the root file also make sureyou have rooted devices or have use rooted firmware.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had the same problem, could edit the files but could not save (on rooted M001, Vestinious 1.2.2).Solution: I opened a terminal window, went to /system/usr/keylayout, then typed:suchmod 777 english.us.kl chmod 777 qwerty.klAfterwards, saving the files worked.greetz, PADMAN

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just discovered a bit of a side effect after doing this mod.Was just using the Aldiko eReader but now the page turning dosent work as it mapped to the +/- vol keys.I emagine another mod would fix that if somone could point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, sorry to revive a somewhat stale thread. I had a quick question regarding this modification to map volume +/- to scroll buttons:
razvanesq80;44183 said:
How to modify Volume buttons to scroll buttons I managed to remap the volume buttons "+" and "-" on the tablet to scroll buttons. you need to edit the files english.us.kl and qwerty.kl found in /system/usr/keylayout folder. Open each of the 2 files and replace: "key 115 VOLUME_UP" with "key 115 DPAD_UP" "key 114 VOLUME_DOWN" with "key 114 DPAD_DOWN" Save the files and restart the tablet! That's it!
Its very nice and great to have, but I find that the scroll step is too small to be really effective and fast. Is there any way to make the keys map to a multiple pressing of DPAD_UP/_DOWN, or perhaps there is a different key to map to that would give a larger step (like PAGE_UP/_DOWN, if it exists)? Thanks for the helps!Msaifee

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.