1 - 20 of 437 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice work, easy to open case?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I opened my case using a suction cup from my gps to pull on the screen and a tiny flat head screw driver. Start the whole process by poking something in the holes on the bottom of the device, once the clips on the bottom were loose it was pretty easy, I just really took my time. How did you do it op?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did the soldering operation and it was pretty easy, i did not actually notice an significant improvement. I did notice that my motherboard i labelled 1.2B instead og 1.2. It is something diffrennt in the upper right corner compared to the older picrures in this thread. And they have allso flipped the wifi module and put heat protection.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wow looks easy as, I opened up one of my APAD's once god it was an embarrassing nightmare, misses looking at me weird with hairdryer in hand & burnt fingers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
1) Can someone post a pic of the heatsink? You can't see it in any of the existing pics.2) Did you cut the existing trace? How did you decide to add a wire as you did? It doesn't seem like your wire would do anything. Wouldn't a single wire (non-looped) at the end of the trace work? Actually, what little I know about antenna traces suggests that the wire has to be a specific multiple of the signal wavelength for best performance (and that trace should already be quarter-wavelength most likely). I would love to do this type of mod, but I think we are missing a lot of information if you want real engineered RF performance. I will ask a friend that specializes in RF and report back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh wait... mine does have the "heatsink" you guys are talking about I think, but it's not a heatsink... it's an RF "can" to keep chip signal noise inside the can. It actually prevents me from being able to put a proper heatsink directly on the chip, since the chip is inside a can. My home-made heatsink is a strip of metal that I attached to the can.Mine was also with the antenna side up (can/chip side down against the LCD) as shown in the attached pic above (opposite the OPs pics). I would think just flipping it over would have improved the OP's performance.

·
Registered
131 Posts
[quote name='rpmccormick;33896]Oh wait... mine does have the "heatsink" you guys are talking about I think' date=' but it's not a heatsink... it's an RF "can" to keep chip signal noise inside the can. It actually prevents me from being able to put a proper heatsink directly on the chip, since the chip is inside a can. My home-made heatsink is a strip of metal that I attached to the can.Mine was also with the antenna side up (can/chip side down against the LCD) as shown in the attached pic above (opposite the OPs pics). I would think just flipping it over would have improved the OP's performance.[/QUOTE'] Have you tried using the TXPower hack to see if it reduces the heat? I haven't tried it but people have said by reducing it to about 20 reduces the heat and improves the wifi range.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That was me that tried it I think... It made a very big diff... I'll probably add the antenna wire later but now I'm good for ~50-75ft. which is fine for me... the cleanedup 'Hack' I'm using is;RT2870STA TxPower Patch=====================================================================For the TxPatch...;- Edit the /etc/Wireless/RT2870/RT2870STA.dat file..- Make Change to lower TxPower to 20%adb connect Tablet-IPADDR:5555adb -s Tablet-IPADDR:5555 shell# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system# Edit file for TxPower as below..#The word of "Default" must not be removedDefaultCountryRegion=5CountryRegionABand=7CountryCode=ChannelGeography=1SSID=AndroidTetherNetworkType=InfraWirelessMode=5Channel=0BeaconPeriod=100# Full 100% Power#TxPower=100# 20% TX Power Runs Much Cooler and better perfTxPower=20#BGProtection=0TxPreamble=0...

1 - 20 of 437 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.