Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the PDN Reader, it reads PDF files and I like that you can tap the top and change the settings for the item you are reading and it remembers them for each individual book. Is there a way to get the apk just for the reader and install it on my Pandahome side so I dont have to open the PDN launcher just to read a book? Thanks. Or does anyone know of a reader that does this? I tried the Nook but it doesnt want to open. Thanks again.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I like Aldiko. It save my settings too & you press the menu key to get to settings. One thing I like better than the PD reader is that Aldiko allows screen taps to turn pages. I like that better than swipes. BTW If you are using the PD reader under the PD launcher, as opposed to another home app., it keeps the books on the internal memory, so that is a plus for PD reader where it is. Cheers,kev

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
clockworx;39671 said:
To enable Nook:adb remountadb shell mv /system/lib/libpdfhost.so /system/lib/libpdfhost.so.pdn
Hi clockworx hey I did the enable Nook but now the PDN wont see my SD card has this happened before? Trying to figure this out. I rebooted and also restart pin hole but it still wont see my SD cards. Thanks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
External. The PDN home is the only one able to use the internal memory, I think. If you push the Aldiko apk to the ext. SD card, it creates new working folders & installs the epub files there. I guess it does the same thing with other formats that it supports. I would love to have Aldiko use the internal Mem., 'cause I hate having to dedicate the SD card to the app. & make sure it's folders stay in-tact. Cheers,kev

·
Registered
8 Posts
The features in the PDN reader are nice (highlighting, taking notes, and dictionary look-up). But the PDN launcher is slow and horrible. Aldiko is nice but it doesn't have these features yet. I would like to get this app onto the other launchers and see how it performs. So any body knows how to extract the PDN apk?

·
Registered
784 Posts
[quote name='LinuxLvr;41282]The features in the PDN reader are nice (highlighting' date=' taking notes, and dictionary look-up). But the PDN launcher is slow and horrible. Aldiko is nice but it doesn't have these features yet. I would like to get this app onto the other launchers and see how it performs. So any body knows how to extract the PDN apk?[/QUOTE'] You could just pull the PDReader.apk by copying it to your external SD card or bu using ABD to pull it from the PDN onto your PC. BUT that won't solve your problem because the PDReader.apk will only reinstall to its original location. The only way to get to PDR from another launcher would be to install BarControl, SmartBar and do the Navigation Bar hack. Then use BarControl to add a shortcut to PDR so that it resides in the Notification bar. You can get those from the site in my sig...

·
Registered
59 Posts
brie987;39701 said:
Hi clockworx hey I did the enable Nook but now the PDN wont see my SD card has this happened before? Trying to figure this out. I rebooted and also restart pin hole but it still wont see my SD cards. Thanks.
Having the same problem now for a few days =)No solution yet, but have confirmed that this is the cause of the problem (the renaming of the libpdfhost.so file).

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Under Pandahome, I long pressed the PDReader icon in the app tray, which slid away under my pressed icon which I could set on the home page as an icon/alias directly to the PDN Reader program. It opens right where I left off reading then the back button (vol down) returns to PandaHome, bypassing the PDN Launcher.You can also press Menu (vol up) in PandaHome then press add+ and select PDReader and it will plop an icon on your page.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
You can do this with any alternate home launcher. You can also purchase a program called Better Cut and you can change the icon to something you like. You can even put an icon to the PD launcher on the alternate launcher with Better Cut or the free Any Cut.I created a thread about this already.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi...how do i start the PDN reader in the android environment? I have followed the instructions as per page 1 courtesy of clockworxand but I cannot see the icon to open it?ThanksLawrence

·
Registered
27 Posts
hmm...silly me, i can get the same stock reader via the icon adobe ereader icon. any way to associate the pdf files to this application?ThanksLawrence

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
you can also open any native apk and use the menu bar at the bottom of the screen to open the native reader.

·
Registered
27 Posts
lawman,sorry but o be sure i need to paraphrase your advice, do you mean that the native reader is accessible via the Adobe ebooks bottom bar menu?I was trying to use file manager apps to directly turn on the native reader when reading pdf files but PDN cannot associate the pdf file and the native reader.Is there any way to make this association?Lawrence

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
no, if you open the "pd..." apps, the native pandigital menu bar opens at the bottom of the screen like it did when the device was stock. The PDreader is accessible through that.I know you're trying to get the native reader associated with pdf files. I haven't gotten it to do that yet either. Let me know if you figure it out. I'll do the same.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote name='jalandar2;41339]Having the same problem now for a few days =)No solution yet' date=' but have confirmed that this is the cause of the problem (the renaming of the libpdfhost.so file).[/QUOTE']Its odd, When I posted the original issue after I did clockworx Nook fix someone posted a "reverse fix" for the Nook right under my original post but it seems to have been removed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
[quote name='lawman;41658]I know you're trying to get the native reader associated with pdf files. I haven't gotten it to do that yet either. Let me know if you figure it out. I'll do the same.[/QUOTE] What???? Why would you have trouble associating the PD reader with PDF? The PD reader reads PDF natively. It reads ePub and PDF out of the box. I just drop either into the eBooks folder and open them from the PD reader. Am I missing something here?I also like the OEM PD Reader. It has less options for font' date=' line spacing, etc., but it remembers where I stopped in a book and it uses page numbers. I can open the "go to" option, type in a page number and go to it. Aldiko ... at least my version ... [u']always[/u] starts me at page one every time and it doesn't use page numbers. The "go to" option has a slider. ???WTH??? Let's see, I was about 2/3 thru the book ... hmmmm ... maybe ... if I'm REALLY lucky ... I can slide that thing over and get to within 75-100 pages of where I was.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[quote name='jalandar2;41339]Having the same problem now for a few days =)No solution yet' date=' but have confirmed that this is the cause of the problem (the renaming of the libpdfhost.so file).[/QUOTE']Hey jalandar2 did you get it fixed? I found the Nook fix it was in another thread not this one I thought it removed but I just got confused. I copied it for you, here it is if you still could use it:This would reverse what you just did:adb remountadb shell mv /system/lib/libpdfhost.so.pdn /system/lib/libpdfhost.soYou could reset your cache afterwards as well:adb shell rm -r /data/dalvik*And then reboot:adb shell rebootUnplug the USB cable from your computer right after issuing the reboot command so that you don't get an error when the Novel boots back up.Good luck and thanks to Pocket_aces for this

1 - 20 of 37 Posts