Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, almost all the messages here about modding/rooting the PDN say that I should have a factory copy of firmware to burn in case of trouble. And not to try these things without at least being familiar with the firmware burning process.Well, my new PDN has newer firmware than what is shown on the PD website! So if I lose my firmware, I have nothing to backup to... right? Does this mean that I have to wait for newer firmware to be posted on the PD website? I guess it does...Bummer!

· Registered
1,352 Posts
[quote name='pawnslinger;16452]Okay' date=' almost all the messages here about modding/rooting the PDN say that I should have a factory copy of firmware to burn in case of trouble. And not to try these things without at least being familiar with the firmware burning process.Well, my new PDN has newer firmware than what is shown on the PD website! So if I lose my firmware, I have nothing to backup to... right? Does this mean that I have to wait for newer firmware to be posted on the PD website? I guess it does...Bummer![/QUOTE'] Hey, this is actually good news for me
Which version do you have? I'd love to get a dump of the updated firmware and do a comparison. Have you set up adb yet? I could give you an adb command to dump the system directory (which is all that is being modded now), that way we could pass the improvements on to others and incorporate them into mods, and you could have a backup to overlay over the currently available one from the website.

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote name='clockworx;16460]Hey' date=' this is actually good news for me [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smiley.gif[/IMG] Which version do you have? I'd love to get a dump of the updated firmware and do a comparison. Have you set up adb yet? I could give you an adb command to dump the system directory (which is all that is being modded now), that way we could pass the improvements on to others and incorporate them into mods, and you could have a backup to overlay over the currently available one from the website.[/QUOTE'] I have sent a PM to you concerning this. Didn't want to drop my email address into the forum!

· Registered
1,352 Posts
ver2go;16510 said:
Code:
adb pull /system <location to back up files to>
example in your adb directory
Code:
md backup
then
Code:
adb pull /system backup
The Novel's files from /system will be copied to the "backup" directory.
Yeah, that's what I was going to say, but I'm not sure if he can necessarily restore from that without bundling it up and signing it in an update.zip, right? From your other posts, it sounds like your working with Linux....do you happen to know if adb shell keeps the the correct file permissions when pushing from linux? I'm currently using Windows, and everything I push over gets reset to root permssions without proper chmod, which I have to go and fix after the fact. So if I push over a "backup" I will lose "sh" permissions shortly thereafter.

· Registered
18 Posts
You are correct, we can't zip it up and go through the normal firmware update this way. I believe the easiest way to backup the firmware to be able to restore is do dd, the partition and restore it.I'm new to Android, so I don't know how to package and sign a rom yet.The other post is not linux based, I created the script to be OS agnostic. I used the Novel shell to echo to the files. This way I do not have to use a batch file and the script because OS agnostic. The user can just cut and paste into either a DOS shell or a Linux terminal and the script will still be created on the Device.I didn't do a push, I used the ADB shell to echo the commands to the file. The root user on the sdcards umask had execute permissions, so I didn't need to chmod the scripts to give them execute permissions.Hope that clarifies it.[quote name='clockworx;16617]Yeah' date=' that's what I was going to say, but I'm not sure if he can necessarily restore from that without bundling it up and signing it in an update.zip, right? From your other posts, it sounds like your working with Linux....do you happen to know if adb shell keeps the the correct file permissions when pushing from linux? I'm currently using Windows, and everything I push over gets reset to root permssions without proper chmod, which I have to go and fix after the fact. So if I push over a "backup" I will lose "sh" permissions shortly thereafter.[/QUOTE']

· Registered
1,352 Posts
[quote name='ver2go;16702]The other post is not linux based' date=' I created the script to be OS agnostic. I used the Novel shell to echo to the files. This way I do not have to use a batch file and the script because OS agnostic. The user can just cut and paste into either a DOS shell or a Linux terminal and the script will still be created on the Device.[/QUOTE'] I was referring your request for the toolchain/sources.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.