Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have flashed and re-flashed and tweaked and restored my PDN many times now. At one point I was able to click on finished downloads (Dolphon Browser HD) and they would execute or open. I could download and .apk and from the notification bar (or from the downloads screen in Dolphin HD) i was able to execute/open an .apk and have it launch PackageInstaller or another application that was "registered" with teh .apk extension. After flashing 7_24, applying the volkey mod and installing pandahome 1.95, AppsInstaller, ES File Explorer, and Dolphin Browser HD, I have a very basic yet functional (almost) system. Proble is now when I open a downloaded .apk from the downloads screen, I recieve an error (no program associated with .apk (or similar)) I dont have theNovel here now to get exact verbage, but essentially it is telling me it doesn't know which program to use for .apks. I now have to use ES File Explorer to browse to download location and open from the download location. From there it opens package installler and installs fine. I was just wondering if anyone knows which apk I can install that is responsable for the "association" of the .apk extension with package installer (or is this a dolphinb issue) i had it woking fine before

·
Registered
338 Posts
it's a mess, I had some similar experience, I agree.I stay away from GE/Market -- so far, yet. Kinda squirm at the thought of Global Sync/Skynet, etc. Proly not for long, lol.So I tried to use semi-underground alternatives for apk installers: ApkTor, Aptoide, with their "markets" (something like "Blackdroid", and I'm not kidding).These could introduce even a bigger mess..When producing modded Froyo ROM, our Gurus should look closer into the matter: I hate losing ends of an app once installed and deemed unsatisfactory. Slipstreaming via ADB framework is equally blind at the receiving end.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I do not (never had) Google Exp. nor the Market Enabled. I can use AppsInstaller.apk just fine, but I do not want to have to use it. Before I was able to open them from the downloads screen (Dolphin) and they would launch a package installer automatically. I want the ability to install apk without needing to exit the browser, open apps installer, browse to apk etc.. before they just installed when opened. If someone can help me get back to that scenario, that would be great. Need to know what setting or apk that will change or "associate" apks with package installer or AppsInstaller.apk.I am not useing market to download, I am using several websites that have apk archives.The only thing i can think of is that I did not install Blackmoon File broswer nor save & attach. I'll try adding them later to see if it makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I like Blackdroid. It's simple and straightforward. Alphabetical apps. See one you want to try, click and download. Copy it to your sdcard, open it with AppsInstaller and voila!There's a running list of Market Alternatives here.I've yet to flash the Market fix into my PDN, but was able to buy the unlock keys for the full version of DocToGo this morning. (It's on sale for ten bucks - usually $30 - till 8/26). I got the demo/view-only version at one of those non-market sites. This toy is a fully functioning computer now that I can use it for word-processing and spreadsheets.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also use blackdroid, as well as a few others in the list. I made a firmware package that has only the basic essentials.. Pandahome, AppsInstaller, Dolphin HD, I added links to all the apk sites in the Dolphin HD Bookmarks. Flashing this makes for a PC free setup/mod and great starting point for installing whatever apks the end user would like (and are available). I just want it to be a little easier (open and install from downloads screen) before I am happy (finished).

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Ooh, great idea. Think you'll be able to work this into a FW flash that includes the button hack but avoids the Google Experience that is so buggy?Or is that actually the plan and I just gave it away? ;-)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thats the plan, and its all done and works, with the exception listed above. I need to figure out which app or setting to change to allow this to happen, then i'll consider it ready for release.Also I pre configured alot of the typical settings. Install apks from uncertified source, wifi on, and a handfull of other pre-configured settings. Added links to ES File Explorer and Dolphin HD to the home screen etc..

·
Registered
338 Posts
GE is not only buggy as Alpha version, it's not so configurable as one might think. Namely:-- permanent and omnipresent "Global Sync" drains the battery, definitely reports on you as the user of badly hacked Android phone;-- you have absolutely no control over what exactly you're downloading, and where the "companion" suff like sniffers, surveys, locators, profilers goes, to never been detected, let alone uninstalled.Our greates gurus are busy up to their nostrils hacking with the Froyo as their target. Supposedly, Froyo will bring "better" Google Experience and bigger Market. For me, it may mean better and bigger of the above.Some very early indications (and predictions) of what theGOOG's real intentions are could be found in my dead (murdered by GOOG) blog goolocalizations.blogspot.com

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mark Adams;38837]I like Blackdroid. It said:
Market Alternatives here[/URL].I've yet to flash the Market fix into my PDN, but was able to buy the unlock keys for the full version of DocToGo this morning. (It's on sale for ten bucks - usually $30 - till 8/26). I got the demo/view-only version at one of those non-market sites. This toy is a fully functioning computer now that I can use it for word-processing and spreadsheets.
Excellent. I, too, use Blackdroid for searching/installing .apks and it works well. I do like how you refer to it now as a "fully functioning computer," which is true for the most part ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.