Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found that by the default adb install apps on internal memory and not on internal microSD, as it have to be...Do you know how to force installation on microSD instead....?

·
Registered
143 Posts
http://www.androidtapp.com/how-do-i-copy-apps-to-my-sd-card/Android apps are installed on the internal memory and there is nothing you can do against it. This is part of the security concept. Each app or more precisely all apps signed with the same developer certificate run in the context of the same Linux user and get file access through that user. There are user and group ids generated whenever you install an app. All data of the app, also created files, get the user and group assigned and thus can only be accessed by the app itself. In addition, each app (identified through its package) runs in its own Dalvik VM sandbox.If you put apps on the SD card, this security concept (file access) is broken. That is why you have no choice. The described concept is only a part of the entire security concept, but it is the one responsible for not being able to install apps outside the internal memory.The problem with the G1 is that the internal memory is much too small to install all the apps you might want to have. This is killing half of the Market right because of that "I need to uninstall" thing.i.e. You're going to have to do a CRAPLOAD of haxing to be able to install programs directly onto either the microSD or external SD card.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Chaps,my assumption is then that the white Novel's 1 GB Micro SD card is the internal memory and we are limited to that and once full, no more app install. However if we swap it out for a 16 GB then game on.....Again if my assumption is correct, then the black Novel with hardwired internal 2GB is going to be limited in what can be installed. Of course if there is an internal memory that has nothing to do with the micro SD card then do we know what size it is. 128, 512 etc etc. that doesn't seem to be much.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Not correct. Apps are installing to the 256MB internal memory and not the 1GB microsd. The 1GB card is being used for books, music, etc by the PDN installed programs like the B&N reader.

·
Registered
294 Posts
[quote name='blazingwolf;20276]Not correct. Apps are installing to the 256MB internal memory and not the 1GB microsd. The 1GB card is being used for books' date=' music, etc by the PDN installed programs like the B&N reader.[/QUOTE'] Thanks. 256 MB doesn't seem like a lot but I guess app size is relatively small then. I'm just comparing it with the iPad I used to have but I guess the 16GB was used for apps and music etc and the small system memory (128 MB I think) was just for running stuff......as you can tell I know rock all about how this stuff actually works

1 - 6 of 6 Posts