Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I don't like any of the available ROMs so much that I would want to keep it. Mostly I would want to get rid of the default APPs and would like to install my own launcher (ADW). I am looking for a way to modify the official GB ROM to my own liking, I will post it here if it is finished.

Therefore I would be very grateful if anybody could give me some pointers on the work required... I tried to open the .tar.bz files, but they don't seem to be valid bzip2 files? And I figure if I do manage to tweak the files, there would be the need to recompute any hashes, checksums or something like this?

If anybody knows what to do, please shed some light ;-)

PS: Last question, but why are the Froyo/GB releases from Zenithink based on CM7 with 2.3.4, why is the max frequency listed at 800MHz and why is the governor reset on every reboot? I think that there should be a way to change this when modifying the ROM files, correct?

Thanks, Aonir

·
Zenithink Tablet User / Information Transmitter
6,629 Posts
Well just for removing/adding apps, you can use a program like 7zip to change the contents of the *.zt280.tar.bz files....
I believe the data/media/system files are just tar files renamed to *.tar.bz, at least when I make a tar backup of each partition and rename them they are able to be flashed.....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the data/media/system files are just tar files renamed to *.tar.bz, at least when I make a tar backup of each partition and rename them they are able to be flashed.....
Will try this tomorrow, but why would you rename them to something not corresponding to the actual file structure?^^
I hope it works out. Could I simply change the .apks contained? :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a step by step to do this out there anywhere?
I am not quite sure, but it is easy to change the partition images that come with the official firmwares:
just open them with an archive manager, and change the .apks contained to the ones you like. I recommend downloading the applications that you want to include with the Tablet, and then back them up to sdcard or USB, and include them in the image. Be carful when changing system apps(like updating stock applications), but adding new apps to data is no problem.

Also, if you'd like to change some more settings, you can try to edit the build.prop for some more fine tuning, but again, be careful with that.

I am trying to figure out how to include the su binary, so that the rom is rooted by default, but sadly I seem to have some problems setting the right rights for it? Additionally, changing hw.nophone to true does not seem to keep the Tablet from thinking that it is a big phone :-D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also, if you'd like to change some more settings, you can try to edit the build.prop for some more fine tuning, but again, be careful with that.
I've found where build.prop is located but would appreciate some guidance on
what the options are for changing the values please.

I can open it with Notepad++

Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Does anyone know how to modify system.zt280.tar.bz?

I would like to be able to modify the "system.zt280.tar.bz", things I would like to be able to do are (add, replace and modify files) much like what hellbringer did with his Custom ROM. The only workaround that I know of, as of now, is to use the "system.patch.zt280.tar.bz" for adding files that need to be placed in the "system.zt280.tar.bz". This method isn't always 100% successful thought, because of the be all end all file permissions...

The current Custom ROM that I'm working on is a mix and match of two ROMs, I would like to be able to clean it up and address all the issues that stem from file permissions.

If anyone could provide me with some insight or point me in the right direction, it would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No dice, I'm presented with FC's when loading Superuser.apk, I think it has something to do with /bin/su not having the correct file permissions.

Almost all files and directories in the system.zt280.tar.bz file have a mode of 0rwxrwxrwx, however any files that I add are given -rwxrwxrwx. (I don't know what the 0 or - means at the front.)

That said, when I add "su" to /bin/ the file needs the mode of "0rwsr-sr-x" but is given -rwxrwxrwx by default. I think this is what is preventing applications from gaining root access through the Superuser.apk upon launching or enabling the root feature in the individual application settings.

·
6,629 Posts
No dice, I'm presented with FC's when loading Superuser.apk, I think it has something to do with /bin/su not having the correct file permissions.

Almost all files and directories in the system.zt280.tar.bz file have a mode of 0rwxrwxrwx, however any files that I add are given -rwxrwxrwx. (I don't know what the 0 or - means at the front.)

That said, when I add "su" to /bin/ the file needs the mode of "0rwsr-sr-x" but is given -rwxrwxrwx by default. I think this is what is preventing applications from gaining root access through the Superuser.apk upon launching or enabling the root feature in the individual application settings.
Then I guess the best thing would be to untar the system.zt280.tar.bz file on a Linux system, make all the changes you want and then give the proper ownership and permissions to all the files and then tar it back up.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
I installed Linux this afternoon and figured out how to do it. It's much easier now to put a ROM together, than it was on Windows!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope that you soon will set it as primary boot. It just kicks ass. As long as you don't have installed ubuntu and upgraded to 11.10 with this unity or gnome 3 shit. It really sucks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I hope that you soon will set it as primary boot. It just kicks ass. As long as you don't have installed ubuntu and upgraded to 11.10 with this unity or gnome 3 shit. It really sucks.
I only have Ubuntu 10.04 installed on my system. I've been using Linux since RedHat 6.2 was released back in 2000. Since then I've switched back and forth between Windows and different linux distributions regularly. The only reason I haven't dumped Windows completely is because of iTunes, I need to be able to restore my iPod Touch. I'm not loyal to Windows, it doesn't really have anything worth sticking around for, for too long aside from iTunes and Silverlight for Netflix & XFINITY, but both of those services can be used on my iPod now...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Today I downloaded the Android 2.3.4_r1 source code, so that I could snag some vanilla AOSP files and replace them with some of the ones that are on the 1206 ROM. But when I went to compile it, I realised that it requires a 64bit OS to build anything after Froyo... *I should have went with the 64bit version.*

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello all im not sure where to post. this is my first if it gets approved. i have a ? about roms i have a aluratek at110f cenepad witch i beleave is the same as the zenithink zt280 i would like to put the zt280 c91 update on my tablet but the roms are compiled different i was able to bs aluratek and got the firmware. is there someone that would look at the rom i got to see if the zt280 rom can be compiled the same or is there a way to change the cwm to read the zt280 rom upgrade cuz the aluratek asks for a spasific file (f33ref-ota-eng.hongzhou.ji.zip) thank you

·
6,629 Posts
hello all im not sure where to post. this is my first if it gets approved. i have a ? about roms i have a aluratek at110f cenepad witch i beleave is the same as the zenithink zt280 i would like to put the zt280 c91 update on my tablet but the roms are compiled different i was able to bs aluratek and got the firmware. is there someone that would look at the rom i got to see if the zt280 rom can be compiled the same or is there a way to change the cwm to read the zt280 rom upgrade cuz the aluratek asks for a spasific file (f33ref-ota-eng.hongzhou.ji.zip) thank you
If the firmware is a different format, it's probably not compatible....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts