Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
OK, here's how it worked for me:Download and unzip the rom using 7zip. You'll probably have a parent directory with the name of the zip file. Go into it, keep moving down the directory tree until you end up with a directory named "script". That's what you'll work with.Format your sd card (fat16).Copy the "script" directory with all the files in it to the sd card. Nothing else goes on the sd card.Turn off the M001. Put the new sdcard in and start it up.Wait...It should eventually tell you to remove the sdcard. Don't turn it off, just pop the card out and wait.Once it reboots itself you should be good to go.Good Luck! ;D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! But I still have one problem. I cannot get it to format to FAT16. I only get the options of NTFS, FAT32, FAT, and exFAT. I am doing this on a windows machine. Also,using jzip. Is 7zip better?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Everyone on this board seems to recommend 7zip. As long as it unzips it w/o error it should work. I tend to go with what's worked for the majority, it helps eliminate variables if you're troubleshooting.As to fat16 from Windows, just use "fat" then, it's the default.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. It is in the process of formatting. I made do the slow format just to make sure. I am using 7zip to extract the files. Should I extract directly to the SD card? Or to the computer and then copy the files over to the card? Sorry to be a bother. I have never done this before. Thanks for your help! ;D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yankee, you seem pretty knowledgeable, I've followed all these steps on my M-001, and when I get to the second screen, the Android splash screen, my system just stops. It will sit there and scroll the light flash over the word Android until the battery dies... any ideas?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ok, let's try to figure this out. Need to ask a few questions first.Which firmware are you using? (need to start with a known good one)Where was it from? (need to be sure you have a good copy)What OS are you using to unpack it, format your sd card and copy the firmware onto the card? (so we can make sure you have the right tools and steps)and did it work "out of the box" or did you have any problems right from the start?Once we have that info, we'll go from there... ;D

·
Registered
40 Posts
[quote author=yankeespitfire link=topic=535.msg4715#msg4715 date=1275585029]Ok, let's try to figure this out. Need to ask a few questions first.Which firmware are you using? (need to start with a known good one)Where was it from? (need to be sure you have a good copy)What OS are you using to unpack it, format your sd card and copy the firmware onto the card? (so we can make sure you have the right tools and steps)and did it work "out of the box" or did you have any problems right from the start?Once we have that info, we'll go from there... ;D[/quote]I have tried with : 1.7.11.7.2SlateDroidECOTOX's newest ROMUnpacking in Win7, using Panasonic's formatter to format the SD card (have tried Centon 4GB, Transcend 2GB, and PNY 60X 2GB), and using 7Zip to extract. Have tried extracting directly to the card, and also extracting to the desktop of my Win7 laptop, and moving that unpacked file to the card. When I first opened the box, the tablet booted up, I was able to log onto WiFi, and get online. Plugged it into the charger and left it, came back, no lights on, would not boot up (crappy stock chargers strike again) I tried several different chargers, finally found one that does the job, and I have battery power again, just can't get past the Android splash screen. Have tried loading the above listed ROMS at least twice each, but seeing messages on the forums stating that people are having to loast multiple times before they get a good load. Going to give it a couple more shots this evening, but anything you can offer in the way of help or knowledge is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did only unzip the script folder? Also, my card had to be formatted SLOWLY. Uncheck the quick format option. That was the only things I could do to get it to work. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmm.... will have to try the slow format... that I haven't done. And what exactly do you mean did I "only unzip the script folder"? In some cases, that's all there was to unzip! Tried several more times last night, even used a micro SD in an adapter to see if that would work, no luck. Will try the slow format tonight... Work is getting in the way of me playing with my Slate today ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
There was a little peep, on one of the topics, that using a 1GB SD card for installing firmware was a possibly good idea. I don't know why or the rationale, but its what I always do, I have a 1Gb SD card used only for flashing, and it just works. You need to remove it anyway at the end of the flashing process.Foxxy, a tip, people are more likely to help if you're not expressing disappointment in getting no help within an hour of your first post. Just a suggestion ....

·
Registered
59 Posts
xnewethicx , I pm'd you a link to a firmware that works on mine. It's an earlier version from Slatedroid. Try Fox's suggestion of the 'slow' format on the sdcard and then use 7-zip to unzip the firmware and copy to the sdcard.Make sure you've got your power supply going so it doesn't die on you partway through and see if it gets you going.When it gets to the part where it tells you to take the sdcard out, try waiting a few seconds first, I think I saw a thread somewhere where someone said that solved it, maybe the message to remove it pops before it's done writing out a file or something.Let us know how it goes!good luck! ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hears how i did it just incase :Exstract the zip file to your pc open the exstracted zip and copy the Script folder to your SD card fat or fat16 both work as ive tested both and had no problems power of your tablet and insert the SD card power on the tablet it will automatically install the new O/S this can take anything from 5 mins to half an hour depending when alls done the tablet will ask you to remove the sd card do so the tablet will automatically restart 1st time boot will take a long time but get progressivly faster each time.Hope this helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.