Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the information under settings and either I've been gypped or I'm not understanding the current settings. Right now it seems to say I only have 100mbs of free space, with nothing installed. Can that be right, or did someone along the way help themselves to my microsd cardinsert a hacked firmware microsd card? Recall I am one of the ones who had the virus scanner claim there was an autorun.inf virus on mine and that plus this is making me wonder if I'm facing something other than simple configuration errors.So, can someone tell me how to confirm how much installed memory is available to my Pandigital Novel?Thanks1--bornagainpenguin

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote name='clockworx;32035]The 100MB is correct. The internal MicroSD doesn't count as your internal memory' date=' except for the special purposes the PD apps use it for.[/QUOTE'] Well that's a relief!--bornagainpenguin

· Registered
116 Posts
I installed 4gb micro sd card first thing when I got my PDN. I am trying to download a game and it says I don't have enough space. That can't be right. I don't really understand how storage works on this thing. Can someone please break it down for me. Thanks

· Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Then the 4GB micro sd is used for programs seen by the pd apps. Any programs you install get installed to the internal memory. There is usually around 150MB available for you to install programs (might be less can't remember the exact number). So if you have installed a bunch of apps or some that use a lot of memory then you are most likely running out of room. I use a program called Mini Info. This gives you a widget that shows battery percentage, internal memory and sd card memory. This should help you to monitor your memory usage.

· Registered
116 Posts
That explains alot. So another question. In roebeet's thread, Alternate WPDN firmware: Cruz Reader UI (functional beta), he advises that "Starting with beta 1.3, the SD cards are now switched (fitting with VM standards). That means that the internal card is now /sdcard, please be aware of that." If I understand that correctly, then any apps I install ( if I do the cruz hack, I have not yet) will then go on my 4gb sd card? Which is now "internal memory". Thus giving me more room. I guess I don't understand then, the reason for switching out the 1gb sd card for the 4gb sd card. Are my books on my sd card ? A little confusing for me. And thanks, I will look for that mini info program.

· Banned
1,104 Posts
There is only 256MB of RAM. You can free up the RAM using a Task Manager like Advanced Task Killer | Free | Pro
This is what I use above just by unchecking the ones you want to keep loaded and check the ones you don't want to load into memory.What really hogs the RAM is GE (Market and GMail)

· Registered
3,284 Posts
The mods work a little differently, so I will explain what I know.The PDN has a 1GB internal microSD card, 256MB of RAM and 512MB of NAND which is used for internal storage. The internal storage is used for several things including /system (which is the OS), /data (which is where your user apps are located, and sql db and cache area. /system is allocated ~200MB, and /data is allocated ~192MB. On stock, Cruz UI and other mods, these numbers don't change. It doesn't matter if you change the microSD card, the space allocated to /data is unchanged and I would guesstimate that you can install about 100 applications before you run out of space. There seems to be some confusion where people think that adding a bigger microSD card will get you more space for /data (apks), and that's not the case.....except..........for the Open Platform - what that OS does is it maps /data/app (which is where the apks are installed) to your internal microSD card. So, that effectively changes the internal storage from 192MB to 1GB./sdcard (which is where your content is generally stored) is also different, depending on your mod. Stock / OPP mounts /sdcard to the external SD card. The Cruz UI mounts /sdcard to the internal microSD.

· Registered
116 Posts
So am I getting any benefit from installing the 4gm sd card? No memory benefit with the cruz hack, as well? I'm still trying to decide why I want to do the cruz hack, aside from the softkeys. I am less confused with each answer. Thanks you guys!!

· Registered
3,284 Posts
Adding a 4GB micro SD gives you no real benefit for stock or some of the mods (ie. my 8/27 stock mod). That's because internal storage is unchanged and /sdcard is mapped to the external SD, not the internal card.For the Cruz UI, adding a 4GB micro SD does affect the mod as /sdcard is mapped to internal, not external SD.For the OPP, adding a 4GB micro SD actually increases your internal storage (where the apks are installed) to 4GB.Again, it's different depending on your mod.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.