Android Tablets Forum banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
whoa now don't get hopes for Ice Cream Sandwich on the Novo8 but gingerbread is a most Def. to come.

i have stayed away from ROMS and just stuck with the latest Firmware Beta 0826. ROMS just add junk that one could get elsewhere from the Net.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a rom for ICS. The Novo 8 is relatively new and their already making one for GB. On top of that it looks like the Novo 8 is selling more and more which means it will be on the market for some time I think (6 months maybe). With ICS coming out in a month I wouldn't be surprised if they make a rom based on it. (by that I mean in 3 to 6 months)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with a rom for ICS. The Novo 8 is relatively new and their already making one for GB. On top of that it looks like the Novo 8 is selling more and more which means it will be on the market for some time I think (6 months maybe). With ICS coming out in a month I wouldn't be surprised if they make a rom based on it. (by that I mean in 3 to 6 months)
Till now they failed to release 2.3 which is on the market since a looong time. There are rumors about 2.3 but only rumors. Shall see.

For your battery and phone.apk - you're the only person in the world that feels the difference. Really, make an accurate test with battery test tools. I did it and there was even no 1% difference. Not to mention that now you are unable to use 3g modem.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I did a little video testing.

Serenity (2005) HD trailer:
Container - .mp4
Codec - avc1 H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
Resolution - 1280 x 720
Audio - mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC 48000Hz 128 kb/s tot , stereo (2/0)

Played flawlessly in both the Feiyu video player and default video player. Rockplayer light stuttered at first but when I changed the settings to hardware decoding it played flawlessly as well.

The Bourne Ultimatum trailer:
Container - .mp4
Codec - avc1 H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
Resolution - 1920 x 816
Audio - mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC 48000Hz 95 kb/s tot , stereo (2/0)

This one again played flawlessly in all 3 video players.

Big Buck Bunny (blender.org open movie):
Container - .avi
Codec - FMP4 FFmpeg/ffdshow ISO MPEG-4
Resolution - 1920 x 1080
Audio - 0x2000 (Dolby AC3) AC3 48000Hz 448 kb/s tot , 6 chnls (3/2 .1

This one played flawlessly in both feiyu video player and the default video player although in rockplayer lite the size of the video took up just a small portion of the center of the screen and I didn't see any way of enlarging it. And yes the AC3 audio worked. Info for the files from gspot v2.70a.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Till now they failed to release 2.3 which is on the market since a looong time. There are rumors about 2.3 but only rumors. Shall see.

For your battery and phone.apk - you're the only person in the world that feels the difference. Really, make an accurate test with battery test tools. I did it and there was even no 1% difference. Not to mention that now you are unable to use 3g modem.
Actually to the contrary. You're the only person I've read ANYTHING about in the forums that removing cell standby (or in the case of the novo "device standby") doesn't make a difference. And the only way to make a 100% accurate test of it would not be "battery tools" but would be to open it up disconnect the positive battery lead and take amperage measurements with a multi-meter. And until I'm sure this tablet isn't going to crap out on me I have no intention of opening it up. But regardless, I could care less if you accept it or not I'm merely giving my observations.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Big Buck Bunny (blender.org open movie):
Container - .avi
Codec - FMP4 FFmpeg/ffdshow ISO MPEG-4
Resolution - 1920 x 1080
Audio - 0x2000 (Dolby AC3) AC3 48000Hz 448 kb/s tot , 6 chnls (3/2 .1

This one played flawlessly in both feiyu video player and the default video player although in rockplayer lite the size of the video took up just a small portion of the center of the screen and I didn't see any way of enlarging it. And yes the AC3 audio worked. Info for the files from gspot v2.70a.
You got this result with Feiyu 0826 rom?

The rockplayer issue I think is because rockplayer can run both on hardware decoding or software. And I think it was running on software decoding mode. you can configure this.
Using software decoding you can play AC3 even without the proper license or "codec". But HD videos are too heavy for this. For SD videos its fine (but almost no one make SD video using AC3 as sound)

Have you tested 3G and netflix?
Does this rom comes with too many chinese apps and text messages? How about the virtual keyboard? can you configure it to be android default?

I ask because Ive used another of those chinese ROMs and there was too many chinese stuff

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
You got this result with Feiyu 0826 rom?

The rockplayer issue I think is because rockplayer can run both on hardware decoding or software. And I think it was running on software decoding mode. you can configure this.
Using software decoding you can play AC3 even without the proper license or "codec". But HD videos are too heavy for this. For SD videos its fine (but almost no one make SD video using AC3 as sound)

Have you tested 3G and netflix?
Does this rom comes with too many chinese apps and text messages? How about the virtual keyboard? can you configure it to be android default?

I ask because Ive used another of those chinese ROMs and there was too many chinese stuff
It boots up in chinese but it's simply a matter of changing the language as you know. Once in it has very few apps installed. After rooting I just deleted the few chinese apps that were left, mainly the cncalendar and the appinstaller which were both in chinese. Other than that it was fine. After I got it the way I wanted I downloaded the AC3 license and followed the steps which simply are put it on an sdcard (unzipped) and start the pad holding power and vol + which of course enters the recovery/upgrade menu. I then chose "set audio license" and then rebooted. After that I did my video tests and it played the audio from big buck bunny just fine. I didn't try it before doing the set audio license so I'm not sure if it had the ac3 license already on the rom. I probably should have tested that before.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I got an email today from hotmid.

Sent: Sun 9/25/11 11:18 PM
To: Stephen (s***********@hotmail.com)
Hotmail Active View

It is my mistake. I am sorry for that.
Would you mind my refund you the $32 DHL shipping and close the dispute?

Alan
HOTMID

Since the tablet is working now I'm thinking that's a fair resolution to the problem.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I'm still waiting for the $32 refund.

On another note, Last night I charged it all the way up and took a reading using the battery calibration app. I started with 100% 3103mV and watched a movie with Wifi=off, display at 50%. After 1 hr 56 min the reading was 66% 2846mV. So it looks like with wifi off and display at 50% brightness that's almost 6 hours of play time (rough estimate).

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm still waiting for the $32 refund.

On another note, Last night I charged it all the way up and took a reading using the battery calibration app. I started with 100% 3103mV and watched a movie with Wifi=off, display at 50%. After 1 hr 56 min the reading was 66% 2846mV. So it looks like with wifi off and display at 50% brightness that's almost 6 hours of play time (rough estimate).
This is exactly what I'm getting with cell standby on :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I double checked just in case "Big Buck Bunny" had multiple audio tracks. I downloaded two .ac3 test files and both played fine using the included video player (called "freiyu video player" in freiyu's mod but it's the same as the one in the 0826 beta build). The default video player says .ac3 files are unsupported and won't play it. I checked which audio track was playing in "Big Buck Bunny" and it only shows one which is an AC3 track and it plays the audio fine. I also had one file which was playing AAC fine but I haven't checked DTS. I'll try that out later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I even did research this time to avoid the shady sellers and hotmid had the highest website recommendation of the sellers I checked, even higher than meri *banging head against wall*.
Hi, BubbaHotep my name is Tony, im sales at HOTMID

I have read the whole thread and agree that you must have had the worst luck with your purchases including the one from us. I spoke to Alan who handled your case to get an update on the whole case.

As far as i can remember this was the first time we accidently switched two packages and sent to wrong address, its not an excuse this should not have happened but we are just humans, i want to apologize for our mistake.

We are truly sorry for this, and i would like to offer you some kind of compensation on future order, if you decide to purchase from us again that is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You are correct and it is the Wits A81e 3000mah battery. I picked it straight away from the photo, as I own a A81 with 2 batteries. What a stuff up!

Nickos-V, can you name the seller with the amazing 2000 sales in last 6 months and high feedback. He deserves more business, as genuine and reliable sellers are becoming increasingly hard to find.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I will be carrying the Nova 8 & 7 in my store. I have the 8s in stock now and up on my site. Shipped/Sold from US. So if anything happens you aren't paying $40 for a return. These tablets play Netflix by the way if anyone didn't cover that in an earlier post. I didn't want to read through 5 pages.

They are $209 with free priority shipping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have two tablets on order from HOTMID.COM. DHL is telling me the tracking number does not exist and their website account is suspended. Happy Holidays...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased two tablets from Ainol Novo 8 android tablets 8 and 16GB, respectively from Ownta. Each took about two weeks to arrive. They came in non-disticnt packaging and were trackable via USPS. The only strange thing was that they had my name and cell phone number on the lable.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is wifi reception on the Novo 8 usually ok? (Haven't read whole thread/section, but I did google "site:slatedroid.com novo 8 wifi" & "site:slatedroid.com novo 8 wireless")

I just got one and the signal strength it shows is about 50% as good as on my laptop (an old Dell with Broadcom wireless) & 70% as strong as on an Asus netbook.

I'm new to Android devices (& indeed any wifi on small portable devices/phones) so I'm not sure if this is normal or possibly due to some defect...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two tablets on order from HOTMID.COM. DHL is telling me the tracking number does not exist and their website account is suspended. Happy Holidays...
Why dont you contact us instead? You must be using wrong tracking page, usually we only get a DHL Reference number first before the actual tracking number is available.

To track via Reference number you need to use this page:
http://www.dhl.com/en/express/tracking/shippers_reference.html

And what account is suspended?

God how frustrating is with customers who post negative posts in forums all around internet before we get that chance to explain that nothing is wrong with their orders, and never come back to reply that everything is fine.

Advice to all: Contact the seller first and wait 24 hours for reply before posting bad comments.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts