Android Tablets Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
As for what happened, it's pretty obvious that Hotmid sent me the wrong item since the package they sent has a)a label they printed for DHL with a weight of .13 kg of which I'm fairly certain the tablet weighs far more than that and
the invoice they sent was not correct ($70 "sample mid")
Ok you left out that part. 0.13 kg is too light. Works out to 130 grams. tablet is going to be over 300 grams and packaging could add another 150+ if they include box.

That invoice also seems weird. Not sure what to make of $70 sample MID. Sounds like desciption for one of those lower end WM8650 tablets.

Likely some type of mixup and that other guy may have got your tablet and you his battery. Since HOTMID's fault; they should fix this mistake for you but may ship with regular post to avoid paying courier which means long time to get that tablet. 4 to 5 weeks by standard mail.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ok you left out that part. 0.13 kg is too light. Works out to 130 grams. tablet is going to be over 300 grams and packaging could add another 150+ if they include box.

That invoice also seems weird. Not sure what to make of $70 sample MID. Sounds like desciption for one of those lower end WM8650 tablets.

Likely some type of mixup and that other guy may have got your tablet and you his battery. Since HOTMID's fault; they should fix this mistake for you but may ship with regular post to avoid paying courier which means long time to get that tablet. 4 to 5 weeks by standard mail.
Pretty simple if you ask me. If that's their proposed solution then I'll just escalate the claim in paypal and get a full refund. But we'll see what they say.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Pretty simple if you ask me. If that's their proposed solution then I'll just escalate the claim in paypal and get a full refund. But we'll see what they say.
This is the email I just received:

Dear sir,

I am sorry I have made a mistake of your parcel.
Your order of the Ainol NOVO 8 have been sent to an another US customer
who is in middletown New York. And his parcel was sent to you.
Would you mind sending the parcel to him? And I will pay for the
shipping cost.

Hope for you help.

Alan
HOTMID

I sent this in response:

于 2011/9/15 12:07, Stephen Simonsen 写道:

Have you contacted the other customer to see if he's willing to send it to me? I can send it to the other customer if you give me the information and how you want it sent. After I ship it I will scan and email the receipt to you so you can recoup the cost of that to me. I understand mistakes sometimes happen but I paid extra on shipping so it would arrive within 3 to 5 business days (plus normal processing order time of course).

and within 5 minutes received this response:

Thank you for your help. I am waiting for the other customer reply.

Alan
HOTMID

Have to say this in their favor, they are responding quickly to the problem.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
It must be me. I'm cursed when it comes to buying tablets. Even if I were to order from merimobiles which everyone says is awesome something would happen. A meteorite will fall from the sky destroying my box on the shipping pallet leaving all the others unscathed. Just look at the history so far.

1st tablet purchase - Ebay purchase and seller with over 90 percent positive reviews takes my money and never ships the package and then disappears.

2nd tablet purchase - Pandawill sends me a tablet with a known screen shake issue (known to them not me at the time) makes me jump through hoops for 7 months to get them to take it back and when they do they send me a different tablet (same model) after supposedly fixing mine and it's even worse than the first one.

3rd tablet purchase - well...you already know what happened with that one as you can see.

4th tablet purchase - I'll order one and it will probably be the one package in a whole shipment that some handler drops and runs over with a forklift or something else as equally aggravating.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

That other customer may decide to keep the tablet for themselves. So, you really should wait for them to send the tablet and get it first before shipping off the battery to them. No use racking up extra costs until you make sure to get that tablet in your hands.

They got a $200 tablet and you ended up with a $15 battery.

I agree that you have some type of curse, bad luck or bad karma and dealing with China is not working out with you. Hopefully this gets resolved and you get your Novo8. It is a very nice looking tablet and one I considered getting but decided to hold off on buying any 8 or 10" tablets for about 1 year.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

That other customer may decide to keep the tablet for themselves. So, you really should wait for them to send the tablet and get it first before shipping off the battery to them. No use racking up extra costs until you make sure to get that tablet in your hands.

They got a $200 tablet and you ended up with a $15 battery.

I agree that you have some type of curse, bad luck or bad karma and dealing with China is not working out with you. Hopefully this gets resolved and you get your Novo8. It is a very nice looking tablet and one I considered getting but decided to hold off on buying any 8 or 10" tablets for about 1 year.
I don't have an address yet but I think it's the opposite. The faster I can get rid of this battery with proof (pictures and tracking info) that I sent it where they wanted me to then the faster I have standing to request a full refund if I don't receive my pad in a timely manner. To send the battery to NY would only cost me $1.71. If I add signature confirmation that will only add a dollar or two so really the extra cost is negligible and since I used Paypal I'm protected. Even more so if I send off the battery because Paypal would say "you have received an item that still needs to be returned".

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Last night before I went to bed I fired off an email that said:

于 2011/9/15 12:49, Stephen Simonsen 写道:

Estimated cost from Dallas, OR to Middletown, NY for the battery with total package weight of 3 oz is $1.71 for first class mail with a delivery time of 2 to 3 days.

I received this reply tonight (personal info altered):

Thank you for your help. Here is his address,

william xxxxxxxxx
xxx xxxx rd.
middletown, New York, xxxxx
United States
T: xxx-xxx-xxxx

Please use the convenient and secure way that you want and tell me the cost after sent, I will refund the cost from Paypal.
I also asked William send the device to you.

Sorry for bothering you and thank you very mush!

Alan
HOTMID

I just fired off another one asking if the other guy has agreed to ship my package to me and if so how long it will take as well as what they intend to do to compensate me for all of this because I specifically paid for express shipping to get it here within a week.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
It's things like this that decide whether or not a company has good customer service or is just out to make a buck and could care less. We shall see which one Hotmid is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's okay...plenty of room for off topic posts.....back to the original start of this...spaceman was talking about the NOVO7 being on the order of 10 times more powerful. According to the tests the dual core A9's are only roughly 29% faster than the A8's. I think he was reading the early posts blogs about the A15 (which is supposed to be around that order of magnitude better) and confusing it with what some companies have been touting the dual core A9's being the "A10".

Speaking of Spaceman.....have you gotten any updates on when you're tablet will arrive?
Not yet, tracking just stopped on 7.09 and no info yet :/

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Not yet, tracking just stopped on 7.09 and no info yet :/
Well....you'll probably get yours before mine now. So much for spending extra for express shipping.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I took the initiative and called the guy they sent my package to and let him know I'm shipping his order to him today and got an email I can send the tracking number to. He said he's sending mine via UPS (I'm guessing ground). That means I probably won't get it till next Wed. or Thur. (absolutely not his fault though he's just helping to remedy this fubar).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I emailed the tracking number to the other guy and he emailed me back with one for mine. It's scheduled for delivery for next Thursday. So all in all two weeks for me to get it after paying quite a bit extra for express delivery. Now hopefully my box won't end up in Antarctica or Gnome Alaska this time. Maybe it will take a detour through Nepal. It will have stickers and stamps from 30 different countries by the time it gets to me.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I contacted the guy in NY and told him to ship the Novo8 to me instead and he agreed! =)

I am not going to send it to you because I will keep it for myself. I think I will have lots of fun playing with that Novo8. =)

Ok, Ok, no worries, I think you are going to get your Novo8 tablet this time around and be very happy once that happens.

My i7 arrived yesterday night. 2 days shipping from China to Canada but DHL hit me with $7 fee for Customs paperwork. DHL is super fast but more costly choice for courier.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I contacted the guy in NY and told him to ship the Novo8 to me instead and he agreed! =)

I am not going to send it to you because I will keep it for myself. I think I will have lots of fun playing with that Novo8. =)

Ok, Ok, no worries, I think you are going to get your Novo8 tablet this time around and be very happy once that happens.

My i7 arrived yesterday night. 2 days shipping from China to Canada but DHL hit me with $7 fee for Customs paperwork. DHL is super fast but more costly choice for courier.
I curse you and may your camels grow large boils.

What's an i7? I wouldn't say it's so much DHL's fault for the customs part. Sounds more like the seller didn't pay for it when they shipped so you got stuck with it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You never heard of Intel Core i7? Well it's not that. It's a RK2918 7" tablet called the Wopad i7 (or Wopad 2). Aluminum back + 5 point multi-touch.
http://www.wopadusa.com/2nd-gernation-wopad-wopad-i7/

DHL charges a processing fee for doing Customs paperwork. ie, filling out a simple form to calculate the duty. UPS Standard does the same and really bad with Customs but UPS Expedited does not charge extra fees. DHL is super fast but not worth it to me in paying extra money to them.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Well looks like Allwinner was a little misleading in their advertising. The "many cores" that they advertise is not a dual core A9. Instead it's a cortex A8 with CPU+GPU+VPU+DPU+VE making up the "many core".
Could be! There is no information to know if single A8 with many other cores or if similar to Tegra 2 which is dual core A9 with many other cores. AllWinner site does not say if A8 or A9 so hard to be sure. I assumed they were copying Tegra 2 design but now that link you gave makes me think that was wrong.

I wish AllWinner would give more information on which ARM architecture they use because that would be very useful.

If dual core A9s then pretty cool but if A8 (o/c @ 1.5 GHz) with other cores then no big deal and would avoid it.

If A8 then not much better than what we have now and o/c too high that it will overheat & cause stability issues.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Could be! There is no information to know if single A8 with many other cores or if similar to Tegra 2 which is dual core A9 with many other cores. AllWinner site does not say if A8 or A9 so hard to be sure. I assumed they were copying Tegra 2 design but now that link you gave makes me think that was wrong.

I wish AllWinner would give more information on which ARM architecture they use because that would be very useful.

If dual core A9s then pretty cool but if A8 (o/c @ 1.5 GHz) with other cores then no big deal and would avoid it.

If A8 then not much better than what we have now and o/c too high that it will overheat & cause stability issues.
It's a single core. They're just calling the GPU etc. with it "many cores". Very misleading. Looks like the 1.5GHz is another false claim since during the review he clocked it at 1 to 1.2 GHz.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just to note - I just received my Ainol Novo 8. Looks smaller than I thought it is. It is a black version which looks really nice.
First impressions:

1. Screen looks really weird, will have to get used to it.
2. System seems to be sluggish, will have to upgrade to custom rom. Screen is not always reacting to presses - comparing to my wife's Ipad2.
3. Quality is not bad, however could be better, when I'm holding it I see some marks in the center area of screen (it looks like when you press LCD screen really hard).

Anyways I will post more info tomorrow after I upgrade FW, install some software and change DPI (letters are a little bit to small now)

41 - 60 of 99 Posts