Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a PDN mod, per se, but IMO, a stylus makes browsing, pulling down the notification area, scrolling menus and browser windows, etc., on the PDN a much nicer experience (it allows for selecting those very small page links without having to continually zoom, for instance, and keeps your screen clean to boot), so I played around and came up with what I think is a nice option.First, go to your favorite Chinese restaurant and pick up a set of their chopsticks, or, if you have some wooden shish-kabob skewers, these work well, too.Using either the chopstick or skewer, hold it in your hand like you would a pencil and, using some sort of snippers/cutters (I use wire cutters), grab the stylus-to-be at a point you feel leaves the right length for comfortable future use and squeeze.Take the resultant piece you were holding, and either sharpen it somewhat to a smaller rounded point (chopstick) or dull it somewhat to a more rounded point (skewer) with sandpaper or nail file, and also smooth the end where you snipped (prevents snagging on things, etc.). Other options also work, like small diameter wooden dowels, etc. This next part is optional, but I think very worthwhile: Take some teflon tape (used on pipe threads to make a more waterproof or gas-proof seal) and figure out a way to make the best covering with it that you can for the tip you created in the step above. I made a multi-layer stack of 6-8 small strips of teflon, then cut this into some narrower width strips than the tape is by default, and stretched them over the rounded tip in a plus sign "+" orientation. Multiple layers works best as one or 2 are too thin and wear through. If you have some two-sided tape, this can be wrapped around the stylus about 1/2 inch from the tip to hold the strips of stacked teflon you are stretching over the tip.Next, I took some of the teflon tape and carefully stretched and wrapped it around the stylus, starting as close to the tip as I could, and ended my wrap right after the 2-sided tape. You can just stretch the tape really far at the last wrap layer until it breaks, and it will pretty much self-adhere to the underlying layer.What you end up with is a handy little stylus ideal for tapping almost any size area or sliding around over the PDN screen. The teflon is extremely slick, and leaves no residue (like a finger does) or scratches (like a stylus of some other materials might) on the PDN's screen.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great idea re: the candy apple sticks. I tried a long Q-Tip stick, but it wasn't stiff enough and didn't have enough of a point. Some other materials left marks/residue (not permanent - wiped off with a cleaning cloth) from the materials they were made of. Even the non-teflon wrapped bamboo chopsticks or skewers left some marks.With the candy apple sticks - is there any adhesive used on the rolled paper that might come off on the screen? I attempted to use some self-adhesive felt on the tip of a previous stylus attempt, and that didn't work out too well as a small amount of very hard to remove adhesive somehow got on the screen while I was using it.With the teflon tip there is virtually no friction between the tip and the screen - which is a feel I like for interaction when browsing, scrolling, etc. I would think that something with a bit more friction - like your idea - would be great for use with a drawing program where you want some friction/drag.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I started to use large, hard toothpicks quite early. The trick is never use it perpendicular to the screen, only very oblique. Even in that manner, screen plastic is not hard enough to stay without some damage. So I used an artist's eraser holder, the eraser itself must be non-abrasive silicone rubber stick used in professional motorized erasers, a spare. One would need a very sharp (preferrably old German) pencil sharpener like these two, to produce a desired cone tip, and here you go: no more damage to the cover plastic. Finger oil smears could also wiped out when using such a "stylus"

·
Premium Member
2,429 Posts
No adhesive that I can tell. These are meant to be placed in the mouth.Looked into getting some branded with logo etc. Sticks are cheap, logo masters for printing are not and min print runs are 10K+.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I went to TAP Plastics and got some 1/4" poly rod .... 60 cents per foot. (Poly is the same stuff cutting boards are made of.) I first thought a run thru a pencil sharpener would be all I'd need but it turns out poly is too tough for a sharpener -- at least the one I have. A little work with a wood rasp and some sandpaper and I had 2 styluses (styli?). I made them 4?" long to fit in the pocket of the case I [email protected] -- I tried using those styli you mentioned. Too small and wimpy for comfort.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Frankly, I've found that the ever ubiquitous, soft plastic, BIC retractable ball point pen (which everyone and their brother plasters with a business logo and gives away as promotional instruments) not only makes a wonderful PDN stylus in retracted mode, but has the advantage of offering the convenience of a writing instrument when needed!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I tried making a stylus out of a small plastic artists brush I saw at the grocery store. It worked for a while and then started bending. Then I had a brain storm and went to my local Walmart and purchased a pack of portable video game stylus. It cost me a whopping 7.99 for a package of five.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have and have collected some wonderfull ball point pens with a switchable stylus. Originally collected for my HTC Tilt (before I moved on to my Aria) I think these are really cool. I have one version of a pen that has four options that are chosen by how you hold the pen and push the button. Inside the pen you have four extenders that you can load your choice. On mine, it has two ball point pens (that I purchase refills for an office store) an automatic pencil and of course a cute neon yellow no scratch stylus.

As to where you get these... they seem to be mostly speacialty items with some tech companys logo on it. I did purchase a marked down cover for some device at an office store once for $3.50 that had the four pen option. Threw the faux plastic cover away and kept the pen.... SCORE.

Now I guess I get to pull these out of the junk drawer.

Again I miss the BPDN I first bought and cracked the screen on. It has a stylus tucked into it corner.

T

·
Registered
2 Posts
Running a quick search on the internet for Mutifunction Pens with stylus produces adequate results.

Example

Parker 4702 Vector 3-in-1 Multifunction Pen w/ Stylus, Smoke Brl, Blue Ink, Med Pt,
of course this one is a little pricey but keep your eyes open and your can find these on the cheap.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wanna know what DIY project REALLY works well as a sytlus? Try a good quality chop stick. Not those cheap square or circular ones but rather the oblong ones that you are more likely to find at a sushi joint. The tip is already perfect for a stylus, all you have to do is neatly cut it to the size you want and lightly sand or file the cut end. They look quite professional actually. I got mine from a Chinese/Japanese sushi bistro, a little more up scale, their sushi sticks are made of bamboo which is ideal. If you wanted to get fancy and increase the weight you could buy some of those fancy ones they commonly sell at Chinese markets for about $3. Cutting it might be a little tricky depending on what it's made of. Some are made of porcelain, but with a proper score around it, I think it would snap quite neatly, the end could be sanded and polished with a rotary tool.

My primary stylus is an extra metallic one I have for my Palm IIIxe. The end is clad in a slippery hard plastic and the metal has a brushed texture. I like the weight of it, it's really perfect, I just wish the Pandigital had a slot to hold it in like the Palm Pilots.

I have to use a different one for my capacitive touch Lenovo s10-3t, I don't use that stylus as much because it's not necessary but it comes in handy some times and if I'm in the mood to keep my screen smudge free. Those can be had direct from China with the HTC brand markings for $3.

You can never have too many stylii though, I think I'm going to make the porcelain one next for my wife. They have flowers and dragons and stuff on them so I think it would make a cool stylus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i had the stylus issue a little while back when i lost the stylus for my iPaq. so i did the same thing for my WPDN that i did then.

i bought a one dollar rubber grip tooth brush from the dollar store cut the head off and voila a stylus. the one i bought had the added benefit of curving in such a way that the tip ( non bristled end ) was out further than with most things i had tried so i had great accuracy, and the rubber grip helps heep it in your hand or on the screen when you set it down there.

not that i've sat either one down for long.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.