Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone post step-by-step instructions on how to process the items listed in the title? I have looked through just about all of the threads and have not seen any type of instructions for a newb such as myself. I am sure many users in the PDN section would find this useful especially if it is all within a single thread. TIA, for anyone that is able to provide instructions.

· Registered
18 Posts
Huh? I just picked mine up. Looked at the thread "pandigital novel rooted" all the information is there. You might have to try the different device id's posted in the thread, but all its all there. Took me less than 5 minutes.Recap:Edit android_winusb.inf from the USB_DRIVER from the Android SDKMaking the Android Debugger USB driver recognize the Novel as a valid device to be debugged.Once you have the Novel as a device you can debug, then you can install apk's such as a "Home Replacement".adb install <name of launcher>.apkRoot, you don't really need unless you for some reason have apps that needs to run as root on the device. You have root access to the shell from adbIf you really want to "root" the deviceadb remountadb shell ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/suTo Summarize you questions:Home Replacement: adb install <your choice of launcher>Root:adb remountadb shell ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/suInstall APK: same as "Home Replacement"apk install <apk you want to install>.apk

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. The purpose of the post was to see if anyone can provide a single post with instructions including links for all necessary files for someone that has never used android sdk. At this point i have installed the sdk and the usb driver, but do not know how to get into debug mode for the device. I have tried running the adb.exe, but the dos screen only appears on screen for a split second running through the commands. Again, thanks again for your response either way.

· Premium Member
1,425 Posts
[quote name='blankyj;15991]Thanks for your reply. The purpose of the post was to see if anyone can provide a single post with instructions including links for all necessary files for someone that has never used android sdk. At this point i have installed the sdk and the usb driver' date=' but do not know how to get into debug mode for the device. I have tried running the adb.exe, but the dos screen only appears on screen for a split second running through the commands. Again, thanks again for your response either way.[/QUOTE'] Are you using Windows? If yes then the below instructions should help.Open a command prompt (in your accessories folder). Then cd (change directory) to the location you have the sdk tools folder. Then you can run adb commands.Here is my structure:D:AndroidSDKTools>

· Premium Member
2,102 Posts
We do need to put the relevant parts all in one place and sticky them. If someone wants to do videos (I lack a camera, but may fix that soon), we need:-opening the Novel to replace inboard memory - people need to see it done on a new device, so they know about the 2 sided tape and don't break things.-setting up the development envt. - I assume everyone uses eclipse, JDK, ASDK, and the USB ADB- Installing the ADB - was a pain in my a$$-installing apks - where can we get the google android marketplace? Do they really not have it available for dl? how dumb is THAT?

· Premium Member
1,425 Posts
pawnslinger;16004]I went to try and find a download of the Android SDK and I couldn said:
http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-2.1.html[/url]Thanks for any help or advice.
The main SDK download works for all devices from 1.5 to 2.2. You have to download specific modules for each version of the OS. You get those modules by running the SDK and AVD manager. The main part needed here really is only ADB.exe though.

· Premium Member
1,425 Posts
[quote name='blankyj;16007]Thanks a lot wolf!! I finally got openhome on there' date=' and i really see what everyone is talking about with the no physical button issue.[/QUOTE'] No problem. :)If you do the volume button change provided here in this forum then you will be able to go back and get in to the settings menus.
Works great this way.

· Premium Member
2,102 Posts
blazingwolf;16012 said:
The main SDK download works for all devices from 1.5 to 2.2. You have to download specific modules for each version of the OS. You get those modules by running the SDK and AVD manager. The main part needed here really is only ADB.exe though.
Yeah. I strongly recommend using eclipse and letting it spend 1.5 hours downloading all the platforms and tools, JIC. One day those will dry up and blow away (anyone else remember qbasic? Got a copy here somewhere...). Eclipse has a download mgr (I'm using Helios) that will pull all that for you.

· Registered
66 Posts
Has this happened? I think I have found the info needed for doing this thing, but thought I'd check. Also, a real noob question...Can you hack this using the existing internal memory, or is it better to replace the existing micro sd with a larger one before attempting? Or is it not really affected in the process?Thanks

· Registered
591 Posts
[quote name='Lockrob2000;22058]Has this happened? I think I have found the info needed for doing this thing' date=' but thought I'd check. Also, a real noob question...Can you hack this using the existing internal memory, or is it better to replace the existing micro sd with a larger one before attempting? Or is it not really affected in the process?Thanks[/QUOTE'] the internal micro sd card is only used for pictures, movies, music and books. all the apps and firmware get stored on additional internal flash that you can't (easily) upgrade.unless you use this thing as a media player, upgrading the internal sd card is pointless.

· Registered
87 Posts
[quote name='Lockrob2000;22066]Thanks' date='- So are the apps are not stored on the 1gb sd, but the 256(?) I have read about?[/QUOTE'] Exactly! There is very little space to install new apps. So the uninstall process looms large, as you continually try to manage the limited space and leave room for apps that you really want.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.