Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been reading a bit about the Pandigital Novel Android Hack on various web sites and here. And I understand that the volume button is assigned the "menu" and the "back" functionality. Based on what I read, people's biggest complaint is that there is no "home" button.So I have a question/idea regarding this "home" button, but let me give you some background on how my question came along . . .I've ran Android 1.6, 2.1, and 2.2 on my HTC Touch (Verizon XV6900) SmartPhone for a few month now and it works pretty good. This device has the following button mapping:power -> Wake Up / KeyboardCamera -> Back / HomeTalk -> CallEnd -> Sleep / Power-offVolume -> VolumeThis page shows how the button are activated in detail:Google Android Button Functions on HTC Touch .Verizon XV6900. Vogue.The point is that the "back" functionality is one button press, while the "home" functionality is holding down the button for two seconds.Now, couldn't the Pandigital Novel button hack be modified so that the volume slider function as "back" when you slide it and let go. And then function as "home" when you hold it down for two seconds? Was there technical difficulties with this idea?Chieh

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Yes. The built in browser has a an exit button, technically, so there's not much need. But with a stock browser, yes, you would.People who find themselves doing it often probably install the software that adds a home button to the notification bar.

·
Registered
294 Posts
clockworx;41154 said:
People who find themselves doing it often probably install the software that adds a home button to the notification bar.
Anyone able to point me in the direction of that, please. Sounds like a winner. Also are there any nice wee volume control widget thingys that could be installed in the notification bar?Thanks, every little tweak helps :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
If it helps at all, the "hold" functionality for the BACK button (aka "volume down") is already implemented as the only way to exit the Skyfire browser on the PDN. While in Skyfire, one press of the button works as "back", while holding the button pops up a screen that gives you the choice of exiting the browser.

·
Registered
784 Posts
[quote name='gortyargen;41165]Anyone able to point me in the direction of that' date=' please. Sounds like a winner. Also are there any nice wee volume control widget thingys that could be installed in the notification bar?Thanks, every little tweak helps :)[/QUOTE'] You need to install BarControl, SmartBar and HomeSwitcher. BarControl will allow you to add apps and widgets onto the notification bar. So you can put an icon for HomeSwitcher up there. SmartBar improves the total functionality of the notification bar, making it like a taskbar with built-in ways to control volume, wi-fi and lots of other stuff. You can get them all from the site in my sig...

·
Registered
11 Posts
[quote name='aludal;41565]NovelIdea' date=' could you describe your novel idea? Err... that soft Home, that is. I mean, how does it deal with orientation problem?[/QUOTE'] Silly me, as this thread is named "Home Functionality on Padigital Novel", I thought suggesting a soft home key would be of use. I am using the Panda Home which gives me 3 orientations, excluding power plug down. I have had no major problems with display orientation after upgrading from the original firmware.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.