Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Uppy, I see some people here from XDA who may or may not know me, anyway yeah I want an Android tablet the iRobot takes my fancy but a few things worry me.1) It has so many different names, this is instantly worrying, is it an ePad? aPad? iRobot? who made it cos some places say Eken, others say not Eken. Smells like the T-Mobile exclusive Vairy Touch to me (walk around the corner and Orange has Orange Vegas "exclusive to orange" but...wait...it's the Vairy Touch)2) Android 1.5? Why is it using an outdated version of Android with no hint of an official update to 2.x?3) No 3G internet? Seriously, if the iRobot aPad had that they'd make a huge killing here in the UK especially over Apple with their greedy pricing system.4) Custom SIP keyboards? If anyone here remembers me from XDA you will know I like to tinker around with stuff, does the iRobot have any other touch screen keyboards available on the android market? Or is the default one skin-able?5) Custom lockscreen? Does the iRobot really think its a phone? on the lockscreen i've noticed "No Service" on every picture or video, this sorta thing is nitpicking really but I'd like a custom lockscreen or something.So, is the iRobot worth my money? honestly? Cos I really want one despite my cautiousness.Pros and Cons from actual users would be appreciated.Cheers, Uppy.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Welcome to Slatedroid!I would not go with an iRobot (aPad is its main name here) if I were getting a tablet. It may not even get upgraded to 1.6 let alone 2.x. They just released a new version of the iRobot aPad with 2.1 on it with a different processor (Telechips ARM11 based chip). the upside to this is its running a nice GPU which can run upto 1080P video and runs games very well.However if I was going to buy a tablet today id get the WiTS A81E aka the MIDnight it has a Cortex A8 chip and is running FroYo (2.2) and WiTS seems to be doing regular updated to the device.The downside to the A81E is it has a few bugs right now (check out the bug thread on the MIDnight forum) and it also has no accelerometer so if you wanted to play some games on the device it would prove more difficult.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. Right now I just want something cheap and cheerful (was originally looking into getting the EKEN M001 but having actually held it i felt it was too cheap and cheerful) to try out. maybe a bit of kit i can show off a little until I get my first paycheck from my new job.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I obviously like the pdn. the gentouch is in the same basic price range, as are the eken M001 and M003. The ipad/irobot etc has had some issues because of multiple models with different hardware.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I've seen a lot of dodgy stuff go on with the iRobot, I guess with it coming from the Chinese market there really isn't any official quality control or branding laws, hence it having so many "official" sites, brand names and distributors.As I mentioned earlier Orange and T-Mobile do the same with ZTE (yet another Chinese company) Phones, rebranding them and each saying they are exclusive to their network. Similar-ish situation I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.