Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I've been using HTC phones for years now and when I tried the Android "hack" on my Kaiser I was sold. "Screw the iPhone (tested iPod Touch) ... let's get me an android powered device." Really, I love my MacBook and my Hackintosh but when it comes to phones, Apple did not convince me. My HTC Hero is my hero ;).I did the 2.1 upgrade recently and that has sprung new live into the device again (i was considering going for one of those shiny new Desire's or "Nexus one" but with Android 2.1 I'll stick with the Hero for a while more).Then the iPad was introduced. I thought "ah nice, 4 iPods ducktaped together, don't think I want that". But I got curious and figured, there must be cheaper Android alternatives around the corner. I've been drooling over the Notion Ink but that's not released yet (and too big and expensive for now anyway).So, when I found out out that there's custom roms for the aPad, and likely a 2.1 version coming up, I went for it. First I found a dutch seller on ebay who wanted 199 Euro's for it but after reading all the good reports on merimobiles on this site I went for one of those. At least that gives me some sort of certainty I get a RockChip version and a free case. Now I'm just anxiously waiting for the "processing" status to turn into "shipping" and counting the days untill it arrives at my doorstep. Also hoping customs won't catch it and add another 19% to the price ;)Cheers,McMadd

·
Co-Founder
2,008 Posts
Really, I love my MacBook and my Hackintosh but when it comes to phones, Apple did not convince me.
What hardware are you using for your Hackintosh? I'm in the process of building a recording studio up, but I would really like to stick a Mac with LogicPro in there (without the rip-off price tag). I've been having problems finding a compatible build though and was just wondering what specs you had?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I actually used the worst possible config for a Hackintosh. I bought a cheap new box in Dec. 2008 for E.327,= (incl. shipping) without checking any compatibility. Had to buy an extra PCIx video card because the onboard worked but would never give support for CI/QE and needed an old Realtek network card for stable networking. I ran Leopard on it for almost 1,5 years. Took me a lot of nights to get it running stable with a bunch of custom kexts and the Voodoo kernel (Used the iPC distro).Just a few weeks ago I decided to give Snow Leopard a try. Now the onboard LAN worked and my current spec is like this:
Code:
CPU          : AMD Athlon64 X2 5600+ Dual-Core 2.9GHzMotherBoard  : ASRock AliveNF6G-GLANMemory       : 4Gb (2x 2GB, PC-6400 DDR-II 800MHz)Chipset      : nForce 430Graphics     : XFX GeForce 9500 GTLAN          : Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s, Giga PHY Realtek RTL8211BSound        : ALC662 Audio Codec (Onboard)HardDrive    : SATA 7200RPM 250GB / SATA 7200RPM 500GBDVD          : SATA 22x DVD rewriter
I used a distro from hazard (info on leohazard.com) but suffered a lot from kernel panics on 10.6.2. After I upgraded to 10.6.3 (and the Legacy kernel 10.6.3) and limited memory usage to 3Gb I haven't had any kernel panics yet, but the upgrade to 10.6.3 broke support for my audio codec. I also use the box for LogicPro so this is annoying but I'm short on time anyway to do any music production so I'll deal with that later.This weekend I'm going to give the upgrade to 10.6.4 a try.The only real advice I can give you is, if your budget allows it, go for an Intel based config (not AMD) so you can stay close to vanilla installs. Also I understand Gigabit boards are very compatible. I assume you know of all the regular places like http://www.insanelymac.com/ and http://osx86.net/. Join the forums and ask for advice. There are lots of spots where the ideal config is discussed.If you're going for the cheaper solution like I did, be prepared to invest a lot of time into trial and error to get it going. I knew that I was taking a risk when I bought it but also had a lot of fun and satisfaction on getting it to work.Cheers!

·
Co-Founder
2,008 Posts
Thanks for the info
Originally I was going to go for an AMD box for the reduced price, but soon realized it would have been a lot of hassle. Unfortunately for a digital audio workstation you can't really skimp on it, so I'll probably be getting an Intel quad with about the same RAM config as you.Good luck with your upgrade.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if anyone cares (besides me
) but I've upgraded to 10.6.4 successfully. Still no sound but I've seen others who have fixed the same probs.Mike: if you're not an upgrade freak like me (I always want the latest and greatest) you could go for a cheaper AMD setup. Ones it runs, it's very stable and keeps running which is all you need in a studio set-up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.