Android Tablets Forum banner
121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
why isnt there a space between rm and /system/busybox/bin/su ?
i think there should be one.
but i never needed to do this because i use phoenixmod or prox32 mod ^^
Yes your right there is a missing blank.

@shri080 if you dont get a poppup from the superuser app when you call "./su" there musst something else wring.
please type "whoami" after calling "./su" and post the output.

Peter

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes your right there is a missing blank.

@shri080 if you dont get a poppup from the superuser app when you call "./su" there musst something else wring.
please type "whoami" after calling "./su" and post the output.

Peter
Oh! thank god i could finally root it. But now the funny thing is when i follow the procedure to get the full access to the market i am not able to save the file. after i edit the text when i press save it says error couldnt save the file
any idea what might be going wrong?

Cheers,
Shri

·
Registered
549 Posts
Oh! thank god i could finally root it. But now the funny thing is when i follow the procedure to get the full access to the market i am not able to save the file. after i edit the text when i press save it says error couldnt save the file
any idea what might be going wrong?
if not able to save, that means the file is "RO" read-only and needs to be changed to "RW" read-write. Was there a step in your instructions to modify the file's permissions ? ( something with 'chmod 777' ? ) . . . HTH.

·
Registered
98 Posts
if not able to save, that means the file is "RO" read-only and needs to be changed to "RW" read-write. Was there a step in your instructions to modify the file's permissions ? ( something with 'chmod 777' ? )
There was no such instruction to modify the file's permission. I dont know what is the problem but after i root the machine with the method above and restart it the touch screen does not work. i tried rooting is thrice now and all the 3 times same error occurred. I think its not working out on the present firwamre i have installed ( i have 2.6.35.7,MID serial 20110805.094254). I will probably stick on to the factory firmware for a while till a proper rooting method comes out for this F/W
but ny ways thank you all for taking time to help me

cheers,
Shri

·
Registered
98 Posts
And the only reason i badly want to get my device rooted is to use my Nokia E63's WiFI Ad-Hoc network. By default the OS does not support and Ad-Hoc network. But since i carry my phone all the time which has a GPRS connection and which can also be a hotspot i wanted to get an access to use Ad-Hoc network so that i can use the internet while i am out. Is there any other work around to connect to the Ad-Hoc networks? Thanks again for any help.

Cheers,
Shri

·
Registered
51 Posts
And the only reason i badly want to get my device rooted is to use my Nokia E63's WiFI Ad-Hoc network. By default the OS does not support and Ad-Hoc network. But since i carry my phone all the time which has a GPRS connection and which can also be a hotspot i wanted to get an access to use Ad-Hoc network so that i can use the internet while i am out. Is there any other work around to connect to the Ad-Hoc networks? Thanks again for any help.

Cheers,
Shri
I see no connection between rootingt he device and a non working touchscreen. What did you modify beside the su bins / link ?
You can also try a pre rooted rom from this forum. I'm one firmware version below your but we see many reports that the new firmware can be rooted the same way so i would not expect that the rooting it seld is you problem.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I see no connection between rootingt he device and a non working touchscreen. What did you modify beside the su bins / link ?
You can also try a pre rooted rom from this forum. I'm one firmware version below your but we see many reports that the new firmware can be rooted the same way so i would not expect that the rooting it seld is you problem.
But all the three times i rooted it the touch screen would stop working. it can not be a coincidence for sure. any ways last night i flashed my device with RC1 ROM and now the device is rooted n working fine. now need to figure out a way of adding the Ad-Hoc network.thanks again for the help

Cheers,
Shri

·
Registered
104 Posts
I rooted my tablet after giving up on trying to do it through the adb shell on the computer.

Anyway, I ran Gingerbreak to which I rebooted the computer and entered the code through the Terminal Emulator. I have to say root access is nice, especially when ridding yourself of all that pesky phone and 3G crap. This thread was a huge help- THANKS!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I will say that rooting this thing through the terminal emulator was a hell of lot easier than trying to get the tablet configured through the PC. Man, I was pulling my hair out trying to get my PC linked up to the Dropad. I only say this for functioning morons such as myself when it comes to rooting that if you can't get these things to mesh there is always another way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmm. After I posted, I downloaded a terminal emulator and tried out the following:

cd /system/bin (hit enter)
./su (hit enter & click "allow")
rm /system/busybox/bin/su (hit enter)

I ran Titanium Backup, and instead of a "no root" error, it opened & a dialog box popped up asking for root access.

I ran Gingerbreak 1.2 last night & got the "no root" error in Titanium Backup.

The Gingerbread firmware I have on my Herotab C8 came from a link sent to me by the seller on amazon.com from whom I purchased the tab.

Off to search for stuff to do now that I have root!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I will say that rooting this thing through the terminal emulator was a hell of lot easier than trying to get the tablet configured through the PC. Man, I was pulling my hair out trying to get my PC linked up to the Dropad. I only say this for functioning morons such as myself when it comes to rooting that if you can't get these things to mesh there is always another way.
Its pain in the ass to use windows if you want to do anything than playing games. You sould considere a dualboot setup with an linux of your choice.
Aspecially if you want to dive deeper into android a linux pc makes it all a lot easyer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Which version of Gingerbread do you have, atlharp? I have the 0805 "official" Android version, and Gingerbreak was unable to get root. Oddly enough, busybox was installed already.
I have Android 2.3.1 .I am running the stock ROM. I haven't gotten around to flashing ROM's yet, but soon......very soon. :-D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Its pain in the ass to use windows if you want to do anything than playing games. You sould considere a dualboot setup with an linux of your choice.
Aspecially if you want to dive deeper into android a linux pc makes it all a lot easyer.
I got a laptop with Ubuntu 10.04, so that might work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ah, ok. I have 2.3.3. So far, my tab is still rooted. I've rebooted several times, so it seems to be permanent. Thanks so much for your post, atlharp. It was a great help for this n00b.
You have 2.3.3 ? which firmware / Rom is already 2.3.3 ? can you point me to that update?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My error.
It's 2.3.1, according to the seller's email. I have read so much in the last few days that I'm seeing version numbers and .apk in my sleep. Stock Android Gingerbread, afaik. From About: Build Number MID Serials 2.3 GINGERBREAD 20110805.094254.

Have a great day.

121 - 140 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.