Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
This thread is for the discussion of Gaining Root Access for the Herotab C8/Dropad A8.
Link: Merimobiles.com - Herotab C8/Dropad A8
- Other Names: New Style 7" Tablet, Haipad M7, Apad M7009​
[hr]

Another possible alternate option:
Root Script by Ransagy

[hr]

Possible Permanent Root Solution.

I have tested this on the C8 - it does not work quite as well as on the MID816
- I can say it works for the MID816

On the MID816 forum, quantumfusion posted a potential solution for permanent root access that he said worked on his device.

It was my assumption that the same files would work on the C8.
- I have tried it myself and I can say it "Sort Of" works...

After running the root.bat, I was able to open Root Explorer and got the SuperUser prompt... everything else doesn't appear to get it.
I am happy enough with Root Explorer though as it allows you to fix the Android Marketplace and do other basic settings changes.

Here is the link: http://www.4shared.c...2/opt-root.html

Per Google Translate: (w/ slight corrections based on assumptions by me)
Make sure the device is connected to the computer with a USB cable and the driver is installed.

If the above first step has been successful do the following:

Double-click root.bat
The machine will automatically restart, Then use a program that needs root privileges, and you will be surprised to find that Android has root.

Appears to be very straightforward and easy to do.

[hr]
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

I want to ask why the need to root the device?
Rooting allows the system to be fully "unlocked" so that anything and everything can be modified or tweaked.

What will it do to it exactly?
All it does is just unlocks the device

Can I reverse it back the way is was?
Yes. the z4root program as an un-root option.

I hear it deletes everything on it.
It doesn't delete anything from the system.
It only slightly modifies some base entries, but nothing would affect your day to day.

Will I have to reload the android software to it?
No will you will not have to reload anything.

Should I do a backup first before rooting?
It is never a bad idea to backup the system at any given point in time before making changes.

How much better will it run when I root it?
There is no direct improvement in performance by rooting.
It just provides the pathway and allowance for external tweaking and performance increases.

How do I get market access after I root it?
Rooting will not open the market directly... there may be some additional fixes, BUT!
There is an updated firmware being release in a week or so that should provide Android Market Access.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=Texas link=topic=15151.msg135028#msg135028 date=1297405908]
Hey MrTasselhof, I saw your up date video great job your doing, You think we still need to do the root install with the new update?
[/quote]

Well technically we still haven't been able to get permanent root on the device yet.

Tasselhof

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Possible Permanent Root Solution.

I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS!

On the MID816 forum, quantumfusion posted a potential solution for permanent root access that he said worked on his device.

It is my assumption that the same files would work on the C8.

Here is the link: http://www.4shared.com/file/1e634hP2/opt-root.html

Per Google Translate: (w/ slight corrections based on assumptions by me)
Make sure the device is connected to the computer with a USB cable and the driver is installed.

If the above first step has been successful do the following:

Double-click root.bat
The machine will automatically restart, Then use a program that needs root privileges, and you will be surprised to find that Android has root.

Appears to be very straightforward and easy to do.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Well, This uses the normal su/superuser.apk root by ChainsDD ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=682828 ), Nice to see it works even with the tablet.
I don't get what the last part there is (the install-recovery.sh script) but it seems to just copy over the needed super-user files.
To check you got root, look for the Superuser application icon when the device is launched. Also try installing a root-requesting application like Titanium Backup to verify.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
[quote author=zaks z link=topic=15151.msg135856#msg135856 date=1297569131]
So is that a confirmation that this root works? Also is it a permanent root?

Thanks,
Zak
[/quote]

As i don't have a tablet here yet, I can't verify, No. But it works with that method on almost every phone and other Android device i know, so it should work as long as you can get the right files to the right place on the /system partition.

·
Registered
34 Posts
nah.. it doesnt seem to be working right. root messes up the system for some reason.
but then again thats just my tab.
after installing root it doesnt even run the titanium backup app.

--edit--
titanium backup works now but still no root after installing super user. the app doesnt finish its work since it's supposed to reboot at the end but it doesnt.

need sleep

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I have been playing aroudn wit the whole root thing...

I got it to work once.. and SuperUser prompt for root explorer... it was working..
then I couldn't get any other programs to pop the approval... but root explorer still worked.

I then installed firmware 01/26 and lost all root again...

still working at it.

Tasselhof

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I just reinstalled firmware 01-22.

Before opening anything else.. I ran root.bat.
It appeared to be successful.

I opened Root Explorer and got prompted for SuperUser (works ok)
I opened Titanium Backup (no prompt/no root)

So it appears only Root Explorer has root... but that is at least good enough to fix the Market and Change the DPI

Tasselhof

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[quote author=ransagy link=topic=15151.msg137534#msg137534 date=1297891016]
That's very, very odd. Did root work for everyone/everything on the MID816 where this was taken from?
[/quote]

Yep... I have a happy MID816 rooting experience/everything running...
There is something different about this device though... because the MID816 runs entirely off the SD card and is therefor virtually unbrickable...
This guy on the other hand for me... is storing files somewhere else as well and doesn't play as nicely with backup images etc...

Tasselhof

·
Registered
3 Posts
[quote author=ransagy link=topic=15151.msg135581#msg135581 date=1297518151]
Well, This uses the normal su/superuser.apk root by ChainsDD ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=682828 ), Nice to see it works even with the tablet.

[quote author=naack link=topic=15151.msg137192#msg137192 date=1297834227]
nah.. it doesnt seem to be working right. root messes up the system for some reason.
but then again thats just my tab.
after installing root it doesnt even run the titanium backup app.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Using the su/Superuser.apk is the most easy and straightforward way.
Have you used adb command to copy the necessary files?
If you've done so, did you check which su command is in use by the "which" command?

Since many of the important files are already unlocked at first place with this device,
su does not give you much of the extra privileges but some.

·
Registered
34 Posts
ok titanium backup has root now. i am not sure if it's full root or not.

i used 2 apps to do this. 1 super one click 2 the opt root provided on first post.

here are the steps that i've done. i just got it to work right now so i havent had the chance to recreate it.
1 ran super one click.
- root attempt, it failed
- root shell, it said it that i now have root and i'd have to reboot to remove root.
- ran opt root so that it would install super user apk.
- ran super one click and once more root but it failed.
at this point i installed titanium backup and it couldnt get root it kept on waiting for root permission
- reboot and ran titanium backup again this time it asked if i should allow and it did give access.
voila!!!
this is from the samsung tab dev. so i think we should be looking there since this tab has a samsung cpu.

let me know what u guys think
cheers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i guess. i granted root for titanium and it also granted root for es explorer.it has a root option in the settings.
i couldnt other apps for some reason i cant download anything from the market :S

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
Seemed to work fine for me using one of the root zips posted around here.
I did this things, Basically:

1) Go over to XDA, Get ChainsDD's Latest Su/Superuser.apk files for Eclair/Froyo.
2) You need ADB to get these onto the tablet, so either grab them from anywhere online or get the Android SDK.
3) In a command line where, Navigate to where you have ADB.exe and enter these commands:
Code:
<br />
adb push su /system/xbin/<br />
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su<br />
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/<br />
adb reboot<br />
After my tablet rebooted, I had the Superuser application icon in the tray and Titanium Backup Pro worked well enough.
Haven't tried with other apps, Will do if someone asks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Seemed to work fine for me using one of the root zips posted around here.
I did this things, Basically:

1) Go over to XDA, Get ChainsDD's Latest Su/Superuser.apk files for Eclair/Froyo.
2) You need ADB to get these onto the tablet, so either grab them from anywhere online or get the Android SDK.
3) In a command line where, Navigate to where you have ADB.exe and enter these commands:
Code:
<br />
adb push su /system/xbin/<br />
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su<br />
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/<br />
adb reboot<br />
After my tablet rebooted, I had the Superuser application icon in the tray and Titanium Backup Pro worked well enough.
Haven't tried with other apps, Will do if someone asks.
I followed the above and got the Superuser icon but the device is still not rooted. ???

Superuser.apk in /system/app with read only permission
Su in /system/xbin with read only permission (4755)
Did I miss out anything here?

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.