Android Tablets Forum banner

Herotab C8/Dropad A8 - Known Issues - Problems - Not Working

147K views 371 replies 147 participants last post by  Tokuno 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
This thread is for the discussion of Known Issues for the Herotab C8/Dropad A8.
Link: Merimobiles.com - Herotab C8/Dropad A8
- Other Names: New Style 7" Tablet, Haipad M7, Apad M7009​
[hr]

WiFi
- MAC Address changes every time the wireless is turned on/off

Battery
- Always shows 100% (Charging)

Calibration (no actual issues at the present)
- Unknown at this time how to calibrate the screen

G-Sensor
- some games pull to the left or don't load

Apps
- some apps don't work
- Fring loads, but chat doesn't work

Internal/External Memory
- external card is mounted as extsd

[hr]

Games
- Raging Thunder 2 Lite - (stuck on portrait screen tilt but the game is landscape)
- Tux Rider - (stuck on portrait screen tilt but the game is landscape)

See less See more
#2 ·
So I have had a day with the device and am working/running in to the kinks.

I will update the first post with anything anyone can report.
I am also informing Merimobiles and asking them to contact the manufacturer.

Tasselhof

#3 ·
I have the same issues Tasselhof has with Battery, wifi and calibration. I've noticed a few others and I'll list them here as I find them.

Power Button - Don't know if it's software or hardware but when I press the power button to let it 'sleep', sometimes it will turn back on and sometimes it will reboot. Also some times I reboot the device, it will show the android robot logo, then the "MID" boot screen, then just shut off and I have to press power again and restart the boot process. On the 2nd time, it always turns on though.

I've tried a few battery apps and widgets and they all show 100% battery.

The back of the case is plastic, and if i'm holding it and press too hard on the back, like squeeze it a bit per say I can see my finger marks in the screen, like when you press on an LCD screen. This is easy to avoid, just don't squeeze it or press on the back really hard.

G-Sensor doesn't work on some games.

Fring Video chat doesnt work

Button Layout - I think the layout for buttons is bad. They made this look exactly like a big iphone4 - which is bad enough however because of this the buttons arent very user friendly. The iphone button on the front takes you HOME, but the BACK button is on the side, close to the MENU and POWER buttons. A few times I've meant to go back and turned it off. An on-screen back/menu/home button overlay would be nice.

Memory and USB. From looking at the pics on the other thread, I observe the memory for this is actually a microsd card inside the device, and when you put a memory card in the expansion slot, it shows up mounted as "extsd" folder. I'm not sure what happens if you move apps to sdcard. I assume it would move them to the 4gb internal memory, and that the EXTSD card is for storage. I will look at this later and see if I can figure out what it does. Maybe Tasselhof has some input here.

The screen resolution of 800x480 could be a bit better for the size of the device. I'm just being picky here.

Keyboard - every now and then the keyboard is oversensitive. There's no calibration settings but most of the time it's bang on.

I really like this tablet and none of these issues are going to really bother me in the long run. It would be nice to see updates for this and I hope this tab gets a big following.

Zak

#6 ·
[quote author=Texas link=topic=15152.msg133864#msg133864 date=1297179624]
I just put an order for one the other day, Won't get it until after the 24th. I too would like to know if skype works on it, Thats one of the reason I bought one.
[/quote]

Unfortunately at this time Skype (normal) does not work... it also doesn't work on the MID816.
Skype Beta does work for chat... but that is about it at this time.

Tasselhof

#7 ·
#8 ·
[quote author=Texas link=topic=15152.msg133891#msg133891 date=1297183093]
MrTasselhof Thank you, touch pad are new to me, So its hardware that is the problem for skype? One reason I bought it, The info I got from this site.

*Front facing camera for video-chat or taking pictures!
http://www.androidtabletcentral.com/test/34-herotab-c-8-android-22-capacitive-multi-touch-hdmi.html

So do you know of any chat / video program that I can use to talk with friends and family that use skype?
[/quote]

I really think the issue is more towards Skype... but again I am not positive... I haven't dove in to it further.
I will see what I can find out for you though... (google searches along with LogCat output)

Tasselhof

#9 ·
Earlier I advised I had a problem where the tablet would sometimes power-off when I pushed the power button (to put it to sleep). I was checking the running services and noticed a service regarding monitoring 3g or something to do with 3g (can't recall exact service) so I shut that service off and now I have no issues with the power button anymore. I may have invoked that service by running all the benchmarks and/or trying to change all the settings I could try. I assume this service had a direct impact on the power state of the tablt or caused some error as theres no 3g hardware, and I was getting a power-off when I should have gotten a sleep.

It's much more enjoyable now that I can use it as my alarm clock!

#363 ·
Hey Zaks, I just got my Herotab a few days ago (let me add I've had Android phones since the beginning so I'm no stranger to them -- have never rooted though and no interest in doing so). I've had this same problem, seems to be getting worse as time goes on. I tried your solution and was thrilled when it seemed to work, but then it happened again. Sure enough, when I turned it back on, that "network 3G monitor" process was back in the Running column. I'm having no luck finding a way to keep it disabled. I've just a second ago installed a data/APN on/off app, hoping it's just a case of the device searching for a data connection or something.

Would certainly appreciate any insight you might have into this? Thanks

#10 ·
[quote author=zaks z link=topic=15152.msg133913#msg133913 date=1297186400]
Earlier I advised I had a problem where the tablet would sometimes power-off when I pushed the power button (to put it to sleep). I was checking the running services and noticed a service regarding monitoring 3g or something to do with 3g (can't recall exact service) so I shut that service off and now I have no issues with the power button anymore. I may have invoked that service by running all the benchmarks and/or trying to change all the settings I could try. I assume this service had a direct impact on the power state of the tablt or caused some error as theres no 3g hardware, and I was getting a power-off when I should have gotten a sleep.

It's much more enjoyable now that I can use it as my alarm clock!
[/quote]

Interesting... I will go looking at that as well.
Where did you modify that setting at?
Is it perm turned off/

Tasselhof

#12 ·
The 3g service was found at settings - applications - running services tab. I forget the exact description but it was the only service with 3g in it. Some you won't b able to close either.

It stayed off so far and I've rebooted but I'm sure I'm the reason it started. I did alit of benchmarking and messing with settings. But I guess it can happen to anyone then and you might not know the problem.

Zak

#306 ·
I received my Herotab C8 a few days ago and have experienced a similar problem. After putting it to sleep with the power bottom I could wake it up by pressing the Home button in the front but after some casual use I put away the tablet after putting it to sleep in the same manner, left it for an hour or so, came back and press the Home button and nothing happens. Pressed the power button - nothing. Finally had to press and hold the power button and it starts booting up. Came up fine though, except it took a good half minute so I had to wait for it to boot up before I can use it. Everything's working (except I had to re-enable WiFi again). Use it for a little bit and left it on my desk for an hour or two. Came back and found it had powered off itself again and I had to press/hold the power button to boot it up again.

I read this thread about the 3G monitor background service and decided to try that. Found the service and stopped it. Didn't work. Left the C8 in sleep mode for an hour or two and it shuts off.

So finally, I decided to bite the bullet and flash it with other ROMs (mind you, I was hoping that the C8 would have worked to my satisfaction right out of the box, especially because it came with 2.3 already and market worked fine). I tried a few including C8lean, PhoenixMod, simplistica, Pryanik, M7++0805, but all of them exhibit the same exact problem of the tablet self powering off after a period of unuse. So finally I flashed it with the stock 2.3 ROM again and the problem persisted.

I don't know if I have just received defective hardware or not but I have sent an email to the merchant (bought mine from Amazon - merchant is LL Corporation) last night to ask if I can get an exchange - haven't heard back yet.

I really like this tablet - right price, right size (10" too big for me to hold and carry around). I mainly wanted a ebook reader and if it can play a game or two from time to time and also double as a note taker or personal journal that fits my bill. However, this random self-initiated powering off really put a dent on the otherwise wonderful experience.

Is anybody else having the same problem? Any other suggestions for fixes?

Thanks in advance.

-cf-

#13 ·
I have a new issue. This device's IMEI is 000000000000000. This is a problem when trying to connect to some services. I don't know if you get one if you use a 3g dongle with a SIM card. You'd of course have one on your network to get data but I don't know if the hardware IMEI reported would change. An interesting thread below on how to change it. Of course you may void your device's great warranty if you mess with it.

http://codepainters.wordpress.com/2009/12/11/android-imei-number-and-the-emulator/

Zak

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, I noticed the 26th dated firmware update (maybe 22 has it as well) has an application installed called Network3GMonitor.apk, Maybe thats related to your 3G issues. It definitely does NOT come with Android, I don't have anything like that on my phone nor did i see it on any other Android phone ROMs.

Zaks: not sure that works on a REAL device, as that has the IMEI hardcoded on the device hardware.. Of course, if you edit Android's RIL implementation you can probably do what this article suggests.. but again, This makes more sense on the Android EMULATOR, Much less on a real device. To me, At least.

#16 ·
[quote author=naack link=topic=15152.msg136774#msg136774 date=1297755772]
does anyone have this problem when browsing. the images in the browser get resized as you are scrolling? its really weird it's like they are getting squashed as they move out of the screen.
and if the re is a known fix for it.
thanks
[/quote]

You may want to look in the settings.
or download Dolphin Browser HD.

Tasselhof

#17 ·
I know what you mean... i think it's supposed to be an 'effect' of it fading out as it goes off screen. I just played with the viewsonic 7" and as something goes off screen, it kind of looks like its going around a corner. I dont get images wonking out mid page though.

Zak

#27 ·
I have a new issue after the 02/16 update. After the update my market worked fine I downloaded some apps no prob. Also my battery indicator was at 100% as usual. Well a few hours ago my market got stuck on 'downloading' and nothing happened... BUT my battery works fine now.

My battery displays the proper charge, reports the proper charge and under settings the battery voltage drops as time passes. Thats great news and I don't know how it happened! I just need to fix the market and I'm set.

Zak

#36 ·
my market got stuck on 'downloading' and nothing happened...
My phone (HTC Aria) does this from time to time, usually I just go and end the market with a task manager (I use Big Killer on my phone). Which normally works normally after, but from time to time the market just loves to refuse to listen to you. So its 100% a android issue or something wrong with googles servers, not a tablet/phone issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.