Android Tablets Forum banner
141 - 160 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had a read through most of the posts & would be grateful if someone could answer these questions:

1. Does the HDMI out work for audio as well as video?
2. Is the NAND memory really internal memory or just a microSD card?
3. Dealextreme has the Dropad for $185, merimobiles for $205 - any comments about which model or supplier to go for?
4. Has anyone from the UK been hit with customs/VAT demands when these have been delivered?

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
1. YES
2. MicroSD, some tablet has nand (like mine), some without nand, the use of the chip is unknown for sure at the moment
3. You could go for MP4Nation as well, they have now the bluetooth ones, Dealextreme is OK if you can live with longer delivery time
4. sorry i'm not from UK, but in my country i was charged for about 20USD for the custom and tax.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My first tablet was a WM8650 with resistive screen that cost just under $100.00. I then bought my Herotab C8/Dropad A8 which I've had for around 3 weeks now. My original rom was from 322 and I now have it with the 531 rom and rooted. A few other little tweaks once rooted and I really love this tablet. I think they now have this tablet upgraded with GPS and bluetooth, neither of which my tablet has.
I think i will by this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300540338485&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

A friend suggest me the c8lean ROM, what do you think is the best?

Btw after install a ROM i need to do skype fix, full market acess etc? Or in the rom this is already made

·
Registered
11 Posts
Novice here, need some help.

Got a new Dropad from DX today. First boot was fine, but then I had a looping error "com.android.phone has stopped working" or something of the sort. Manual'd it, restarted, now splash screen and then nothing. I've tried a few firmwares via upgrade mode and a 2GB SD card. They all seem to work fine, used Mid and Cywgen or whatever its called, but I never get past the splashes.

Maybe I have this all wrong, but how the hell do I get the OS itself back? I'd really rather not open the back to remove the internal if at all possible.

Windows detects it as a mass storage device, but no joy actually using it

What am I meant to be doing? Kinda lost....

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've had a read through most of the posts & would be grateful if someone could answer these questions:

1. Does the HDMI out work for audio as well as video?
2. Is the NAND memory really internal memory or just a microSD card?
3. Dealextreme has the Dropad for $185, merimobiles for $205 - any comments about which model or supplier to go for?
4. Has anyone from the UK been hit with customs/VAT demands when these have been delivered?

Thanks
Not sure about your HDMI question as I've never tried my HDMI port before, but it depends what ROM you use and how it's set as to whether the internal memory shows up as NAND. It also certainly is a micro SD card with the NAND function, a part of that SD card (I hear there ius a memory chip on the board but it's not used currently). I got a couple of class 10 16GB Micro SD cards off eBay for £17 each and put one inside the unit so have 8GB Intrernal storage and 5.5GB NAND memory to use, then 16GB external for file storage. The NAND change required a quick hack to change from defauls but there's plenty good advice on this forum to help you with these types of things.

I got my Tab from amazon.co.uk for £160 so sure you could save £45 but getting on shipped over but you'd be a lucky $£!"£% to get away with the customs charges these days and that would wipe out your saving plus more as it's 22% plus the Royal Mail £15 admin fee. Plus shipping is likely to be £20+. Not worth the hassle in my opinion. Unless (there's always an unless) you want one of the A8+/ M7+ tabs with the volume buttons and bluetooth inside which I've not seen in the UK yet.

Look up the TabTech M7 on amazon.co.uk, the lady selling these is superb, very helpful.

Once you get one you'll want the following parts: 1 or 2 SD cards, as I said I spend £34 for 32GB so one internal one external. I got a spare PSU for £20 out of Maplin but likely their web site sells it cheaper. I got a couple of cases, the Belkin 7" table case is a perfect fit, also got the case off eBay with the keyboard inside it, which is great if you want to work using the tab. I got a 3G dongle, second hand for £13, but there is a hack now to make adhoc wifi work so if you have a spartphone you can tether through it. Top device, 8.5/10 and new roms coming out every 2 weeks, plus Honeycomb sure to pop up eventually. Spent about £250 in the end, not bad value.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Novice here, need some help.

Got a new Dropad from DX today. First boot was fine, but then I had a looping error "com.android.phone has stopped working" or something of the sort. Manual'd it, restarted, now splash screen and then nothing. I've tried a few firmwares via upgrade mode and a 2GB SD card. They all seem to work fine, used Mid and Cywgen or whatever its called, but I never get past the splashes.

Maybe I have this all wrong, but how the hell do I get the OS itself back? I'd really rather not open the back to remove the internal if at all possible.

Windows detects it as a mass storage device, but no joy actually using it

What am I meant to be doing? Kinda lost....
Hi, Check the first page of the Firmware new sticky for how to upgrade the tab. Also you need a couple of drivers for the USB and ADB (the command line program for controlling the tab over USB), also on one of the sticky posts.

I'd recommend deleting all files off your external SD and then expanding the files from a new ROM, probably the next to most recent one such as the C8lean 0.70 ROM is superb and is already rooted so that's another option.

So you need to have all the files like logo.bmp etc. in the root of the SD card. Power down the tab and hole the power and menu buttons until the Android logo appears and it will have text below saying updating, then let it do its thing, take under 5 mins.

If that doesn't work then you'll need the USB driver and make the sdcard drive pop up in windows, delete all files in there, unzip the new rom into that and upgrade as mentioned above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got it, ended up popping the case to clean the internal, then switched to the march 15th FW. Working like a charm

·
Registered
31 Posts
l'm new to android.
- can i connect a usb-powered portable harddrive and access it from the tablet?
- what media players are available on android to play my mkv files? also i use srt subtitle files all the time (from subscene) and sometimes have to resync them (delay them a few seconds, or make them show up a bit earlier) in mplayer on windows. can i do that in an android media player?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am looking for a new internet tablet and came accross a you tube review for Herotab C8 and a link to this forum.
I had an Archos 43 but dropped it and broke it. Insurance is sending my the purchase cost refund to buy a new Internet table. I am considering the Herotab C8. I dont quite "get" all the tech speech and cant post a new topis yet to ask for suggestions. So i hope this will be ok here:
I need a new tablet PC about 7 inch screen, I would like multi capacitive touch, Date book, address book, MP3, Word doc, PDF viewer, Book reader, video player, user friendly (i dont understand rooting). Camera would be nice. i can wait a little bit if something awesome is gonna hit the shelves (c9??) soon.
Budget $250

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, does anyone know does this button do?
http://www.imagengratis.org/?v=dsc00426.jpg
I have the same question. I thought it might be power control for USB (since this is a power control widget)but it doesn't really work on USB host or USB OTG.

I connect a huawei E1552 3G USB modem thru USB host to access the internet. But after 10mins of inactivity (screen timeout was 10mins), the screen turns off and the modem goes off.

Can anyone help? Thanks

Herotab C8 Build Number MID07054 2.3.1 GINGERBREAD 20110506.150356 from merimobiles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

Can anyone help me on how to prevent the tablet to go into standby? I am trying to use the tablet as an internet radio. Thanks.

Herotab C8 Build Number MID07054 2.3.1 GINGERBREAD 20110506.150356 from merimobiles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi,
I have Dropad A8 running FW 0506 (Android 2.3). Short press (to basically shut off the screen) on power button does not work. Originally it came with Android 2.2. Is this feature removed in 2.3. Pl help.
Tx n regds,

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi how can i hibernate tablet, some tablets android have that option, but i don't find in herotab, can you help me?
I downloaded an "Airplane Mode widget" and simply touch that, then do a quick press of the power button to lock the screen. I set my screen timeout to about a minute. Since I like to listen to music on my tablet while I work, I disabled the "disable wifi on screen timeout" and simply use the airplane mode widget for when I want to maximize power savings. I also downloaded a screen brightness widget to turn that down when I want to extend the battery life.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi

Can anyone help me on how to prevent the tablet to go into standby? I am trying to use the tablet as an internet radio. Thanks.

Go into the wireless setting and press the menu key. Under 'advanced' there should be an option to uncheck "disable wifi on screen timeout".

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am looking for a new internet tablet and came accross a you tube review for Herotab C8 and a link to this forum.
I had an Archos 43 but dropped it and broke it. Insurance is sending my the purchase cost refund to buy a new Internet table. I am considering the Herotab C8. I dont quite "get" all the tech speech and cant post a new topis yet to ask for suggestions. So i hope this will be ok here:
I need a new tablet PC about 7 inch screen, I would like multi capacitive touch, Date book, address book, MP3, Word doc, PDF viewer, Book reader, video player, user friendly (i dont understand rooting). Camera would be nice. i can wait a little bit if something awesome is gonna hit the shelves (c9??) soon.
Budget $250
Merimobiles.com has the Dropad C8/A8 for about $205. There are many different firmwares out there, and you really have to experiment to find which you like best. I'm currently using a version of C8lean running Android 2.3. It's a very solid tablet, and with access to the "real" Android Market, downloading programs isn't an issue. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to buy a decent case, a decent microSD card, an eyeglass cloth, and perhaps one of those little plate/picture holders to prop up your tablet if you want to put it on a table. It's a heavy little tablet, but it also has a very solid feel. There are lots of tablets available, and many different firmwares to use, so do yourself a favor and buy from a reputable dealer so you're not ripped off - many look alike from outward appearances.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go into the wireless setting and press the menu key. Under 'advanced' there should be an option to uncheck "disable wifi on screen timeout".
Hi biostem

Thank you for your reply. I am using a USB 3G modem to access the internet. The modem disconnect on screen timeout. Probably I need to look for a widget to turn off the screen and nothing else.

141 - 160 of 193 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.