Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1167 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
This thread is for the discussion of new firmwares for the Herotab C8/Dropad A8.
Link: Merimobiles.com - Herotab C8/Dropad A8
- Other Names: New Style 7" Tablet, Haipad M7, Apad M7009​
[hr]

Herotab C8 - Firmware Update Process - www.merimobiles.com
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4McJzqSrHRE

Above is the video I made on updating the firmware.
It uses the 01-26-11 firmware.

Not much that I can tell has changed... so this is primarily just demoing how to do future firmware updates.

[hr]

Firmware Download Links

01-22-2011 - 91.65mb
Link: Dropbox.com - 2011-01-22-HerotabC8-FirmwareUpdate.rar

01-26-2011 - 91.85mb
Link: Dropbox.com - 2011-01-26-HerotabC8-FirmwareUpdate.rar

02-16-2011 - 90.89mb
Link: Dropbox.com - 2011-02-16-HerotabC8-FirmwareUpdate.rar

03-01-2011 - 91.2mb
Link: Dropbox.com - 2011-03-01-HerotabC8-FirmwareUpdate.rar
- Faster Bootup/Response
- Fixes battery display percentage (no longer stuck at 100%)

03-15-2011 - 93.7mb
Link: Dropbox.com - 2011-03-15-HerotabC8-FirmwareUpdate.rar
- HDMI Audio appears to work now

--

2.3 Firmwares:

05-19-2011 - 91.0mb
http://www.multiupload.com/26PYD2RAJR
http://www.multiupload.com/AWD16158NZ

06-22-2011 - Eighty Megabytes (Silly forum keeps translating the number into smilies)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3XXB55VH

08-13-2011 (0805)
http://www.szhaipad.com/DownloadShow.asp?ID=25

- Latest Gingerbread firmware.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=anduser3 link=topic=15150.msg124748#msg124748 date=1295658180]
http://u.115.com/file/f5392dfa34

New System image by equipment maker. You can start making custom ones tassel
[/quote]

Great.. just need to get the tablet first.
Hopefully it will come with this update out of the box.

Tasselhof

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great Work ;D

i found Firmware 2011-01-26 for Haipad M7
http://u.115.com/file/f6fc07a4cc

Copy files in Extention microSD. Turn on while pressing M key. Launching Firmware Update.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
[quote author=android-kun link=topic=15150.msg130569#msg130569 date=1296578796]
Great Work ;D

i found Firmware 2011-01-26 for Haipad M7
http://u.115.com/file/f6fc07a4cc

Copy files in Extention microSD. Turn on while pressing M key. Launching Firmware Update.
[/quote]

Do you have a list of the fixes/changes?

**UPDATE**
I downloaded the file and translated the included document.

A: User Upgrade:
The "users to upgrade software " folder, copy all the files under the file system format fat32 T card inside, and then plug in t card, hold down the menu key to boot to the system upgrade, upgrade information is displayed on the screen, upgrade After the system shuts down.
Note: This update is only to the production machine the company uses, it is recommended not to use the product end-users, otherwise the consequences.

I don't now if we should use this one.

Tasselhof

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a brick in the tablet to try to get imx515 files to run the market, I got into the recovery menu and told me to give up volume to restart the system or volume to go down, I gave the rope menu key (M) and reboot the system, so you delete the firmware and would not let me start ...
01.26.2011 firmware place the memory in the card will not recognize him, I thought that my tablet had become a brick ...
but then I thought put it in the internal memory of the tablet that if I could access to the computer and actually install the firmware, the tablet is saved but I lost the market
: (
Anyone know if there is a more modern update that includes the market and other functions?
thanks
sorry for my bad English

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=mino321 link=topic=15144.msg131797#msg131797 date=1296766149]
I had a brick in the tablet to try to get imx515 files to run the market, I got into the recovery menu and told me to give up volume to restart the system or volume to go down, I gave the rope menu key (M) and reboot the system, so you delete the firmware and would not let me start ...
01.26.2011 firmware place the memory in the card will not recognize him, I thought that my tablet had become a brick ...
but then I thought put it in the internal memory of the tablet that if I could access to the computer and actually install the firmware, the tablet is saved but I lost the market
: (
Anyone know if there is a more modern update that includes the market and other functions?
thanks
sorry for my bad English
[/quote]

You could always use my "stock" image I created.
It is on the Custom Images thread.

Pull your internal 4GB card and then rewrite it with the image.
That should put you back to square one... which for me had a working market.

Tasselhof

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote author=mino321 link=topic=15144.msg131842#msg131842 date=1296770507]
thanks but the file is very big for the internal memory and anyway does not load the recovery files. img
[/quote]

The file is the entire internal SD.
it puts in all the partitions and programs plus some.

Tasselhof

·
Registered
82 Posts
I tried to use Tasselhofs image tonite on my 'Dropad?'. First issue was it was too big to restore on a Kingston 4gb and a PNY4g. It was the exact same size as my own internal 4gb card so I first took an image of my card then restored his image and tried to boot.

IT DID NOT WORK. My tablet wouldnt boot and showed no life. I restored my image back and it booted fine. whew. So I have to ask myself what was the cause. I compared both of our images and they had the same file structure but the files in the volumes were slightly different. Our device names were identical and we both had the same spelling mistakes on the device name in a few places "mid serails". I looked for the android boot .png image, and I know my "MID" boot image differs from Tasselhofs "mobile internet device" picture. I couldnt find them which leads me to believe the system framework folder and the boot stuff is located in the onboard 512mb ram.

I tried to acquire the 512mb ram with some forensic software but was unable to. When plugged into a Win7 computer the USB tries to recognize it but fails. I turn on USB Mass Storage on the device and all I get is the Fat partition part of the SD card.

I assume Tasselhof made an image of the entire device from reading his Firmware post, so it appears our devices are different enough to not let us interchange sdcard contents. The internal SDcard is a completely different entity than the 512mb onboard ram, and it shows by acting different and not allowing any access to the 512mb - aside from being physically different of course.

Maybe someone with a better knowledge of android can clear up what might be on the 512mb thats not on the 4gbsdcard.

zak

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=zaks z link=topic=15144.msg132466#msg132466 date=1296876997]
Maybe someone with a better knowledge of android can clear up what might be on the 512mb thats not on the 4gbsdcard.

zak
[/quote]

Do you think it might have something to do with the 2GB NAND Flash chip? Also there is that other chip you have that I don't...
I would think the actual 512mb ram doesn't store information and just operates when the tablet is on... similar to a PC.

Tasselhof

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey,
I think that 2gb chip may have an issue and make it a different model, however our sdcard contents are very similar. Look at some system info apps and they all show system memory and internal storage at 512 and the sdcard as sdcard storage. I checked this tablet to my HTC Desire using file managers and they both show a similar file structure for the sdcard and for the root.

I didnt try using a blank card in the tablet and booting, that may have answered the question.I can do that in my HTC Desire and the system ram recreates the file structure for the sdcard. Im certain theres android framework on the system memory, but our tablets are so similar why can't we swap cards? Is it that one chip? we'd need more people to try these tests when they get their tablets. Theres very little risk in trying the sdcard images/restores (just make an image backup of your first - use USB Image Tool for example). The big risk here is cracking that paper thin back plate!

Zak

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Has anyone found a good website/forum detailing an firmware updates?

Searches would probably need to use the Haipad M7... but any firmware for that device "should" work with ours.

Tasselhof

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am pleased to report that the 01-26-11 firmware does flash and run.

I am going to play with it some to see what I can find.
I will make a firmware upgrade video tomorrow most likely.

The update did format my system.

In an interesting note... I think it may be easy to modify the system files before updating the system.
I know you can definately change the boot screen/logo :}
- I see the ending of my review videos captured as a single image perhaps for my custom firmwares... maybe
- any thoughts on that idea?

I tested for Root... still seems to be a no go.

I have created a Base Image... and will get the compressed and posted tomorrow.
I am working on a "Custom" Image now.

I am not really sure what the changes are at this time...

Tasselhof

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey,

You beat me to the update, now I'm going to wait until your review. As for changing the custom image, do you mean to the 'reviewed and created by Tasselhof" image?

In your review can you note any differences from the first image you had in the SETTINGS options, any fixes, anything worse, whats new, etc. I look forward to the video, thanks.

Zak

·
Registered
106 Posts
MrTasselhof:

Whenever there is a firmware upgrade for the Dropad A8 will you create a step by step video of how to install the firmware upgrade on the Dropad A8?

Also you are all chatting about Honeycomb 3.0 version may work with the Dropad A8.

If someone upgrades to Android 2.3 on the Dropad A8 will Fring and Skype work correctly?

I find it very hard to accept that a Tablet like the Dropad A8 has lots of postive features, but lacks
important features like Fring and Skype, it will be difficult to sell a Tablet when both Fring and
Skype don't work properly.

Regards Robert

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Firmware update video has been posted.

Next up I may try to play around with the system files and make my own ... truly custom image... but that is a far more advanced topic that I don't even have the knowledge for yet.
Much more research and learning to do :}

Tasselhof

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey, got a few questions for you Tasselhof.

This file from Merimobiles is the same size as the file link posted by another user. I read the translation that you were supposed to format the sdcard fat32. I noticed you didn't and kept all your data on there. You then said you had some of your old apps still there. Do they all work? I wonder if the upgrade actually re-flashes the system or just updates it?

Do you notice any fixes on this update?

You said when you did a system restore you noticed some wonky services, do you remember what they are? I did a restore and discovered the wonky 3g monitoring service, whats yours?

I might try to upgrade my internal 4g to an 8 or 16 but I need to know if the update rewrites that card or still needs it, any ideas?

Thanks for the video, now we just need to wait for Honeycomb... should be any day now ;) (just kidding....)

Zak

1 - 20 of 1167 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.