Android Tablets Forum banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
So here is an example of what I was talking about with the boot.img not being recognized as a uImage. This is the boot..img from the latest Ainol Fire ROM but it won't extract. The package is built to be used with the AML USB burning software so that might be part of the problem.
The abootimg.exe recognized it, so it is one those with that ANDROID! header (+ lzma'd kernel and gzipped ram disk(s)).

You can use those perl unpack-repack scripts floating around for this. Here is one version that hopefully works for it:
HOWTO: Unpack, Edit, and Re-Pack Boot Images (alternative method's zip file)

So if the Karbonn image type is the same (with one ram disk - or what else there may be), its size is then:
pagesize + padded kernelsize + padded ramdisksize
(kernelsize & ramdisksize are multiple of pagesize so they have "extra" zeroes at their end)

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
I updated uImage/_recovery unpack-repack batch file again...

• added support to this other format used - by using abootimg.exe.
    It's a bit buggy in counting ramdisk space (the script counts it now),
    but hopefully it has no other problems and the boot images created are ok,
    otherwise use the perl scripts...
  • made some changes to sh scripts to make them run even faster...

The download link is the same: http://yadi.sk/d/YJ9dYZUS2ux5v

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
Boot logo editing tools for Windows (the Android robot, and battery images too)

Usage

1. Extract bitmap images from logo.img using Logoit tool (by Bubu Marimba).
2. Edit images using Pixelformer or other similar program capable of saving them as 5:6:5 RGB bmp (16 bpp)
Don't alter the image sizes, otherwise some of them may become unusable.
3. Use Logoit again to convert images back into logo.img
4. Put logo.img and logo-image-installer.zip to the external sdcard and install the zip in recovery mode.

Download
http://yadi.sk/d/CNo4hAXx3MrLI

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hey cxz, I'd like to suggest that you add version numbers into the zip file names so I and others can keep track of the releases and make sure we are up to date. I have no idea what version I'm on at the moment

Also, you should start your own thread in the Development section, this stuff is awesome and much needed. It works for more than just the Crystal and it will be easier for people with Ainol devices to search and find it on Slatedroid if it has it's own thread. Props.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thats what I said to him before, but he likes it more to be a blogger.

I will use those tools, but right now, I have to update my Rockship device ROM.

JDfense

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
Good suggestion, although I have announced (most of) the updates when I've done them.

A tip for for this last tool package...
Don't know where that size of logo.img is hard coded, but
one can make some image bigger by making other(s) smaller.
For example if you remove poweron you can make bootup (208x288),
not twice as big but a bit bigger, I'm using 292x404 image now...

edit: looks like logo size is set in bootloader into 0x60000 bytes.

·
Registered
116 Posts

An updated version of uImage/_recovery unpack-repack batch file

- previously mentioned little bug is now fixed
- running from command prompt also works correctly
- added gzip to make cpio package smaller if it doesn't fit anymore
- cpio package size is now correctly calculated (-> a tiny amount of more space for a new package if needed badly)
- made more changes to sh scripts to make them to run faster...

The download link is the same: http://yadi.sk/d/YJ9dYZUS2ux5v
Thanks for your'e hard work CXZ with your'e first tools it run ok will try soon with your'e new tools, its working ok but will try your'e new tools soon

Sent from my Aurora-II using Tapatalk HD

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
Maybe this Jolly Dumper tool belongs to this thread also, as in that other thread it can be difficult to find..

It's sh script I made for dumping the boot and other images, meant to be run with my sh-script-runner.zip (included).

The script also tries to figure out the batch by comparing images's checksum to some that I have collected.
And it outputs a text file with checksums, sizes and creation times for boot and recovery images...

Usage: Unzip the three files to a external sdcard and then select sh-script-runner.zip to run the script
Download: http://yadi.sk/d/QqoWNkCv3eb7L

I thought of adding the cutting feature from this to the uImage unpack-repack tool, but it isn't really needed if one uses this tool...

edit: oh yes, it dumps the images to the external SDcard...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Maybe this Jolly Dumper tool belongs to this thread also, as in that other thread it can be difficult to find..

It's sh script I made for dumping the boot and other images, meant to be run with my sh-script-runner.zip (included).

The script also tries to figure out the batch by comparing images's checksum to some that I have collected.
And it outputs a text file with checksums, sizes and creation times for boot and recovery images...

Usage: Unzip the three files to a external sdcard and then select sh-script-runner.zip to run the script
Download: http://yadi.sk/d/QqoWNkCv3eb7L

I thought of adding the cutting feature from this to the uImage unpack-repack tool, but it isn't really needed if one uses this tool...

edit: oh yes, it dumps the images to the external SDcard...
This is an awesome idea and will come in really helpful when I need people to pull images for new compatibility zips and stuff. I'll check this out when I get home after my weekend vacation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
Boot logo editing tools for Windows update

Changes

1. Added aml_autoscript file to enable full screen size logo images and another to undo it.
2. Added battery images from Crystal II (quad core)
3. More information can be found from the text file included

Same download link: http://yadi.sk/d/CNo4hAXx3MrLI

A custom logo.img with battery images from Crystal II and little bigger logos than the default...
View attachment logo.img.zip

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
It could be one of two things. 1. The ribbon cable connecting the screen to the board might be loose, damaged or just have a dirt in the connection. 2. The firmware isn't correct for your tablet, specifically the drivers for the screen/touchpad.

If you haven't already, I would use the elf2_0527.img and SD Method, that firmware package, if you follow the method, should completely restore your tablet to factory stock. Then you can choose to install custom firmware like my Elf2 Elenari ROM or Christian Troy's CyanogenMod ROM's like CM10.2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It could be one of two things. 1. The ribbon cable connecting the screen to the board might be loose, damaged or just have a dirt in the connection. 2. The firmware isn't correct for your tablet, specifically the drivers for the screen/touchpad.

If you haven't already, I would use the elf2_0527.img and SD Method, that firmware package, if you follow the method, should completely restore your tablet to factory stock. Then you can choose to install custom firmware like my Elf2 Elenari ROM or Christian Troy's CyanogenMod ROM's like CM10.2.
fyi.. im already use the elf2_0527.img and SD Method.. the firmware package but the vertical line still appear.. then i use aml flash tool aka image burn tool and the resouce (resouce 1212 aml burn recovery file) using crystal clear then vertical line disappear. i dont know how to create aml burn recovery for elf 2..

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
fyi.. im already use the elf2_0527.img and SD Method.. the firmware package but the vertical line still appear.. then i use aml flash tool aka image burn tool and the resouce (resouce 1212 aml burn recovery file) using crystal clear then vertical line disappear. i dont know how to create aml burn recovery for elf 2..
Does the ROM from the 1212 AML file run well on your tablet? That is definitely a strange circumstance. Did you follow the SD method exactly, formatting the card correctly and everything?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does the ROM from the 1212 AML file run well on your tablet? That is definitely a strange circumstance. Did you follow the SD method exactly, formatting the card correctly and everything?
the rom from 1212 aml not well run.. in boot appear mutiple green android and on the os detect nexus 7. wifi not working.. the sd method follow exactly like your tutorial, im use 2 kind sd card.. formatting as fat32.. it weird for my elf 2.. :(

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
the rom from 1212 aml not well run.. in boot appear mutiple green android and on the os detect nexus 7. wifi not working.. the sd method follow exactly like your tutorial, im use 2 kind sd card.. formatting as fat32.. it weird for my elf 2.. :(
Did you use the USB Image Tool to write the elf2 image to the card or did you just format the card yourself?

·
Super Moderator
1,190 Posts
61 - 80 of 83 Posts