Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I'm hoping to use the PDN to display photos for school and work, and I'm concerned about the speed of the SDHC cards. Right now I'm using an old class 2 card, and Gallery is painfully slow. I don't know if that's the problem with gallery (in which case could you recommend a better/faster photo album app?) or the class 2 card. Unfortunately I have no other card, and my limited school budget precludes me from getting a card of each class and test drive them. Now, for those lucky forum members with SDHC cards of diffferent classes: could you be so kind and run some experiments (running photo album slide shows, downloading & playing videos) and see if it makes any difference, and by how much? Given the PDN hardware, I suspect that class 4 might be the sweat spot in terms of performance/price, but if class 6 really makes a noticeable difference then I might have to skip my lunch and go for it...MANY THANKS!BTW: I'm referring to the external card; the gurus of the forum have thoroughly convinced me/us that upgrading the internal card is not going to improve the PDN's performance. Plus, I don't have extra lunch money to play with :p

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I have a Class 6. I use the vanilla 2.0 gallery app, and it's not very speedy for me. Music runs fine off it, ACV is a little slow (but I believe that's the problem with the OS and decompressing CBR's) and videos play rather badly (ie anything full screen is choppy, and 16:9 is smooth but just barely so). It's hard for me to gauge exact metrics because 1) I don't have a class 2 to test and 2) even class 6 cards and not built the same - could be different depending on the brand.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Not to rain on your experiment, because I think testing is good, but technically all the various classes should have the same read speed, with only write speed being affected, so you shouldn't see much benefit from a higher class card.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a class 10 32gig AData SDHC card and PDN would not recognize it. I figured out it was due to the default formatting from the factory. I blew away the partition and reformatted it in FAT32 with 4192 size allocation units and the PDN was happy with it. When I formatted it with 'auto' on the unit size, PDN was not happy. I then reformatted, stepping down in the size of the allocation units until I hit 4192 and bingo, it worked. Don't ask me why. Sandisk does state that their read speed varies between their different models of SD cards.Keep in mind that speed rating and class ratings are not the same thing. Speed ratings are the maximum burst transfer speed of a card. DSLR cameras are sensitive to this type of rating. Class ratings are the minimum sustained speed of the card. Video recording devices are sensitive to class ratings. This site explains it better. While I don't know the minimum bit decompression rate of the PDN for video playback, if the class rating of the card is lower than the decompression rate, then I suppose a jerky effect might be a result. I seem to be getting decent playback with my white PDN and mp4 movies I place on the SDHC card.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.