Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a touchpad from dealextreme, sku 42070, described on their page as (VIA WM8505 ARM926) and apparently this is a flytouch compatible device. Currently it hangs on the bootup logo with a pretty flashy progress bar.I foolishly attempted to upgrade the firmware without taking the time to work out how (if possible) to back up what it had on it from the supplier. Other purchasers of this same product claim to have had simple and successful updates, following the same instructs that I have been following; I can get none of those images to install a bootable system. I also cannot find a reliable source for the original firmware that the suppliers put on it, only a few hints and dead url's. All the images appear to install with no error messages, at reboot the logo stays there... for hours... it never starts up.One (supposed) factory image installed a bootable system, but none of the buttons worked, apart from the initial screen unlock after booting; if the screen locked itself after that point I could not unlock it again and could only power off. Dissapointing because it was an otherwise lightweight and clean setup.Has anybody encountered this lockup at bootup, and what diagnostics can I use to sort this out? I just want a basic 1.6 (or whatever) for simple ebook use. Preferably with the buttons working, and without all the extra apps, especially apps like andriod market that doesnt Just Work, probably shouldn't have been installed in the first place, and I simply don't care to mess with at this time.Notes:
  • Have downloaded alternative formatting tools for the sd card, as numerous threads mention problems with windows default formatting tools. No difference experienced with any of them.
  • Had the unit charging while doing the upgrades, some have mentioned problems with low charge events while installing, didn't want to test that myself.
  • Unit matches the pictures from site of purchase, has no identifiers on the case at all, apart from button names, so I have been relying mostly on comments of other purchasers, in following the notion that this is in fact a flytouch system (sku 42070).
  • Am using win 7 64bit. Can't imagine that this would cause problems when extracting an image to the sd card, but I'm getting desperate, so anybody encountered problems with this?
  • I tried a 1.8.2 flytouch firmware with pretty flytouch logo on its boot screen. That was nice, for the first hour, after that it lost its glamour... never got past the boot logo, just like the others.
--disconsolate les, just wishing I coud get usable firmware back on this thing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The flashing process is pretty standard:1. Download the zip2. Unpack the zip file (you'll get a folder called 'script')3. Have a micro-SD card ready that's empty (FAT32 formatted)4. Put the 'script' folder into the micro-SD card5. Insert micro-SD and power up (tablet must be fully charged or charger plugged in)6. Tablet will auto-install firmware7. Tablet instructs to remove micro-SD, then powers down after removal8. Press+hold ON/OFF button for approx 2-seconds, tablet will power up with new firmwareThat's pretty much it. Or, at least, that's how it worked for me and the 1.8.2 firmware.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Les I have same tablet, I have upgrade the firmware twice as per Ignite instructions without a problem.1st time to Slatedroid1.3-flytouch-edition V2 Flytouch/Epad - Downloads - SlateDroid - The BIGGEST Android Tablet Forum on the Web!2nd time to the 1.8.2 firmware from here http://www.slatedroid.com/flytouch-epad/4540-yeeees-new-firmware-android-1-8-2-a-5.htmlThough I am currently using the older ROM from here http://www.slatedroid.com/flytouch-epad/1652-%5Bhow-%5D-restore-your-fly-touch-working-touch-screen-factory.htmlPS I would turn off your wifi router or try and boot it outside of wifi range. I had major issues with my wifi and WEP security.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote name='Ignite;37711]7. Tablet instructs to remove micro-SD' date=' then powers down after removal[/QUOTE']Thanx Ignite, but what I am saying is that the standard procedure does not work for me. I have done it many times over now.As for step 7, the firmware upgrades I have used all say 'rebooting now' after the sd is removed. Rather than powering down it reboots immediately. Then the bootup logo appears and stays there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
[quote name='Les;38246]As for step 7' date=' the firmware upgrades I have used all say 'rebooting now' after the sd is removed. Rather than powering down it reboots immediately. Then the bootup logo appears and stays there.[/QUOTE']Les, mine (which I also purchased from Deal Extreme - sku 42070 and arrived this week with 9 volt charger) behaves exactly the same at step 7, after removing the micro-SD it reboots immediately, but it does get through the bootup screen.I did have problem at one stage with 1.8.2 firmware getting stuck in loop, starts bootup sequence, gets through most of the bootup screens and then crashes, starts bootup sequence once again, crashes again etc. Went back to Slatedroid1.3-flytouch-edition V2 which solved the problem, but I am now sure it was a wifi problem (the new software just turned the wifi off on boot). Now running 1.8.2 firmware without any problems after switching from WEP to WPA2 security on my wifi.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A few people thought they overcame problems by fully discharging the battery, until the unit wouldn't start, before plugging in the charger and then flashing it.I tried this, it seems to have made one small difference; instead of Slatedroid1.3-flytouch-edition V2 installing then freezing on the boot logo, now it shows the boot logo for 30 seconds, then reboots, repeatedly.No real improvement tho, however.Also, disabled my wireless in case that was complicating things.Can I connect via USB to my linux box and get some kind of terminal or log output as it boots? Maybe that could give me a clue, cos I'm all out of em.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.