Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had to take a minute to say thankyou to Clockworx, Nate and the rest of the crew working on the PDN, you have made me a happy man.3 Days ago, I went on a whim and spent a BBB gift card we were given for our wedding on the PDN, in the hopes that I could use the cheap e-reader on PDF files of marching band shows. I'm a teacher - so I don't have the money for the Ipad, and the idea of a digital one-piece solution to 6-8 binders a year full of "stuff" seemed too good to be true, AND IT WAS. The pdf viewing was worthless, especially after having used an ipad.The PDN off the shelf is crap, and it almost went back onto the shelf, but I found you guys. It's now 3 days later, and without asking a single annoying question that had already been answered 37 times, I have a rockin' fast, super sleek android tablet running the full google experience, beamreader (which is AWESOME for my needs!) , more than a couple of games, and a thorough knowledge of how to make a lot of mistakes, but fix them and upgrade the crap outta this thing. And the fact that it's making all my colleagues exceptionally jealous doesn't hurt my impression either. I don't say that to brag about me, but to brag about how intelligent, thorough, insightful, and most importantly helpful you all are and have been to all the other noobs like me. I still can't believe the transformation!!! THANK YOU SLATEDROID FAMILY!!!!!!!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool:~Michael

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ditto from me. I wasn't even going to get the PDN until I heard that it had been hacked and I hung around here a few days seeing what you guys had done with it. If it wasn't for you dev's sharing so freely I would still be impatiently waiting for one of the announced but endlessly delayed tablets that are now supposed to be released "before the end of the year". I don't have to hold by breath anymore. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I, however, am chopped liver...I'm like that ubiquitous old man: "That's the problem with you 25 or less posters - NO GUMPTION!! Why in MY day, they had recalled the PDN and people were lobbing poop at it from across the street to drive it away!!!"

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree completely with your post, this device is really cool thanks to all the people contributing to this forum.Along the best PDF reader lines, I read PDF's that tend to be 3-8MB, 20-30 pages with pictures on most pages. I have tried these programs so far:Adobe ReaderBeamReaderPDF to Go (Documents to Go)RepliGo ReaderI have found RepliGo to be the best. It loads the files much quicker than the rest and I find it to be the easiest to use and read with. It is also very nicely customizable so I can set it up just how i like it. I HIGHLY recommend it. It's $3.99

·
Registered
157 Posts
I tried out RepliGo. It's not bad. Unlike Adobe's Reader app, RepliGo remembers where you left off. However, I was hoping to find a PDF reader that only displays one page at a time and then you could just flip Page Next or Page Back (like the book reader apps do). So far, with one exception, the PDF apps I've tried put all the pages of the document together into one long scrolling thing. I guess that should be expected, because I went back to look at the Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat applications on my PC and they do the same thing, the difference being that you can use "fit page" for your view and change pages with the PgUp and PgDn keys on your keyboard. As for that one exception, it's Pandigital's Reader app, believe it or not. Unfortunately, there are other reasons why I wouldn't want to have to rely on that.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
DocToGo (paid market app $30, on sale now for $10) does a decent job with PDFs too, as far as I can tell. More than just a reader, but an editor too, plus word processing, spreadsheets and powerpoint(like) presentations/slideshows. Worth every penny, the real reason I can justify buying this thing and the time spent hacking it. NOW I can use it as a tax write-off.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Repligo is certainly fast and zooms etc....BUT...... I threw a manuscript at it. 300 pages and 200 meg with lots of images. It took it a minute or so to open it, but when it did it worked great and here's the BUT...... It kept 90 meg of the data in memory even after I closed it down. It meant that I got an out of memory error and couldn't install anything else. I went to the settings to delete recent PDFs but mine wasn't even listed. There didn't seem to be any way to free up the memory again except delete Repligo. Maybe that's what it is supposed to do so it can remember where you left off and my file is unusually big, but it seems like a bit of a flaw to me. The program itself is 3 meg but it expanded to over 90. I haven't tried it with smaller (say 50 meg) files to see what it does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.