Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found an app that will play HD video? I have a couple of cameras that record in HD... but when I tried playback (after conversion to mp4 and down shifting to a low bitrate) and I got no video, only audio. I have tried 2 players, the PDN native player and MixZing (which might just being using the built-in default player).A good working video player is going to be a must have app...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
[quote name='pawnslinger;18675]Has anyone found an app that will play HD video? I have a couple of cameras that record in HD... but when I tried playback (after conversion to mp4 and down shifting to a low bitrate) and I got no video' date=' only audio. I have tried 2 players, the PDN native player and MixZing (which might just being using the built-in default player).A good working video player is going to be a must have app...[/QUOTE'] It's probably just a limitation of the hardware. The Rockchip using in the aPad is by a company with lots of experience in making digital players, and even that barely handles 720p. They probably didn't want to waste money on more chips when very few people who buy this (I'm referring to people who don't mod it at all or ever come visit this board) will be even bothering with video, much less HD.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote name='clockworx;18774]It's probably just a limitation of the hardware. The Rockchip using in the aPad is by a company with lots of experience in making digital players' date=' and even that barely handles 720p. They probably didn't want to waste money on more chips when very few people who buy this (I'm referring to people who don't mod it at all or ever come visit this board) will be even bothering with video, much less HD.[/QUOTE'] You are probably right. But more and more cameras support HD video. It will soon be quite ordinary. I have 2 myself, a still camera by Fuji and a Canon video camera. I can down shift to lower res, I have tried that already, and frankly, it looks like c*** in low res on the PDN. I think it is the fact that they try to fit it to the screen, so between my down shift and the players up shift... c***. I guess I could get a better video converter and have it convert to a multiple of the screen res. The PDN is 800x600 I think... maybe able to convert to 400x300, but that is a real weird res, probably distort the h out of it. I guess I will keep playing with it, if I find the perfect solution, I will post it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote name='roebeet;19046]I'd be happy with non-choppy standard video' date=' at this point. :-([/QUOTE'] Okay, I found a conversion that works well. I converted the HD video to 480x320 using a normal video quality bitrate (my program doesn't tell me the actual bitrate), and it looks good on playback. The video converter I am using has a preset profile for a Samsung Android phone, that is what I used and it worked very well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Which converter do you use?[quote name='pawnslinger;19080]Okay' date=' I found a conversion that works well. I converted the HD video to 480x320 using a normal video quality bitrate (my program doesn't tell me the actual bitrate), and it looks good on playback. The video converter I am using has a preset profile for a Samsung Android phone, that is what I used and it worked very well.[/QUOTE']

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.