Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Niece and Nephew recieved a pair of Pandigital tablets this past summer, they played with them all summer and got bored with them.
I bought myself a Toshiba Thrive this past Thanksgiving, and love by the way, so now they think I am the tablet wizard.
I have managed to put a few short cartoon movies and some music on them. Yesterday I got some micro Sd cards and put on some full featured movies for them to watch. I also managed to get Amazon App Store downloaded onto one of the tablets but failed at getting it onto the 2nd tablet. I would go to the link to download the app store app but when I did so the 2nd tab it gave me a window asking to install on which; devic or sd card?; I selected device. this did not happen with the first tab, and it did nothing. I got a propt saying; downloaded started, but nothing ever happened. I tried it a few more times, on and off selecting between the two choices never getting anywhere.

Now my Nephew is calling saying that when he tries to play an app or download one it gives him a window saying; this app requires an SD card; which has been varified to be in and to being reconized as this is where I put the full movies and they can still watch them.

any thoughts?
also, why can I not download the Android Market?

Thank you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Google only allows certain devices to have android market. So we who are left out have to hack our way around that little problem and install official android market other ways.

What model are the pandigital tablets?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I was afraid of that. I have found some info regarding that but was unsure.

I am not positive which ones they have, in all my playing around with them yesterday and then again today I could not find which model they were. I know realize I should have gone to the "about tablet" in the setting and looked at the model number. I was under the impression that is was the Planet 7".

Today they came over because of the sd card thing. come to find out they must have hit the unmount sd card and that was cause issues with some of the apps. Nephew went app happy on the Amazon app store and filled the capacity of memeory, I believe. I reset the SD card and uninstalled some apps and everything was working fine until I downloaded the Kindle app. that app loaded fine but when I tried to view a book in the que it kept crashing. I told them to keep uninstalling apps and try it again later. The Barnes and Noble app is installed on them, should they just use that for their reading?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sure keep using B&N if it works. The latest version of kindle works fine on my pandigital planet R70A200 "refresh" model using spz0 custom rom so I don't know...

I also use Aldiko reader for everything else. Aldiko can read almost every ebook file extension.

Also keeping track of pandigital models can be confusing. There's 3 models of the pandigital planets going around and there's very little information to differentiate between them. The one I have came in the GetJar box and has 512mb ram. There's also a canadian model ,r70a200FR, that has problems using Spz0's custom rom.

And third there's the old model that has only 256mb ram that comes in the SlideMe box and can not use spz0's 2.3.4 custom rom.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My Niece and Nephew recieved a pair of Pandigital tablets this past summer, they played with them all summer and got bored with them.
I bought myself a Toshiba Thrive this past Thanksgiving, and love by the way, so now they think I am the tablet wizard.
I have managed to put a few short cartoon movies and some music on them. Yesterday I got some micro Sd cards and put on some full featured movies for them to watch. I also managed to get Amazon App Store downloaded onto one of the tablets but failed at getting it onto the 2nd tablet. I would go to the link to download the app store app but when I did so the 2nd tab it gave me a window asking to install on which; devic or sd card?; I selected device. this did not happen with the first tab, and it did nothing. I got a propt saying; downloaded started, but nothing ever happened. I tried it a few more times, on and off selecting between the two choices never getting anywhere.

Now my Nephew is calling saying that when he tries to play an app or download one it gives him a window saying; this app requires an SD card; which has been varified to be in and to being reconized as this is where I put the full movies and they can still watch them.

any thoughts?
also, why can I not download the Android Market?

Thank you.
Do you have the tablets rooted? If so, just copy the files from /data/app to the sdcard on the tablet that has the Amazon App Store on it, put the sdcard into the other tablet or just copy them to the other sdcard and manually install Amazon App Store.You can actually do this with any app that is installed on one and install to the other.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Negative, they are not rooted. However almost every app that I have loaded has an option to move to the sd card. I have selected this option on almost all apps that have this option to try and clear space on the internal memeory but Kindle books still won't open a book, just keeps force closing. So memeory is not a problem. Is there a setting I am overlooking?

Its just odd that one works flawlessly and the other does not. Still though, on the unit with the Amazon app store loaded onto it I got Angry birds seasons to load but it won't play. It goes to loading screen then it force closes, it has done this everytime even after powering down multiple times.

Do you have the tablets rooted? If so, just copy the files from /data/app to the sdcard on the tablet that has the Amazon App Store on it, put the sdcard into the other tablet or just copy them to the other sdcard and manually install Amazon App Store.You can actually do this with any app that is installed on one and install to the other.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I had to guess Id say its the 256mb ram one (they bought them at walmart), as I deleted all the apps that they had put on it from the stock app store and I remember seeing a similiar number in the storage info. I could only load like 10-12 amazon apps ( not like that probly matters) and that maxed it out.

I thought it had 2gb. Anyways I told the kids to remove all pictures and vids and put them on a folder on their pc and see how that effects it. I know that these things only have so much room for certain things so this may not matter, but outside of rooting I can't think of anything else.

I have a Toshiba Thrive and they really like it, so they went to Best buy and tried to buy one but the sales ppl kept trying to get them to buy an iPad2 instead. Plus they were out of stock of the Thrive. So they ordered one off Amazon. After they get that I may try the rooting route on one of them. I have not done so on my Thrive as It works great the way it is, Plus I am not tech savy so it scares the crap out of me trying to do that, rooting.

Sure keep using B&N if it works. The latest version of kindle works fine on my pandigital planet R70A200 "refresh" model using spz0 custom rom so I don't know...

I also use Aldiko reader for everything else. Aldiko can read almost every ebook file extension.

Also keeping track of pandigital models can be confusing. There's 3 models of the pandigital planets going around and there's very little information to differentiate between them. The one I have came in the GetJar box and has 512mb ram. There's also a canadian model ,r70a200FR, that has problems using Spz0's custom rom.

And third there's the old model that has only 256mb ram that comes in the SlideMe box and can not use spz0's 2.3.4 custom rom.

·
Registered
54 Posts
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pandigital-Planet-7-Color-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-eBook-Reader-Featuring-2GB-Memory-Front-Camera-Android-2.3-GingerBread-Operating-System/16681577

According to walmarts website, they say it is 512mb ram model. It might be the newer version.

2gb is internal memory. But it's more like 1.5 gb and half of it is used for system files. So a micro sd card is a must.

They already bought a thrive from amazon eh? Oh well.

The pandigital planet is actually pretty powerful, due to its GPU. But is bogged down by its bloatware.

Once rooted and bloatware uninstalled it is a pretty decent budget tablet. Can even output 1080p through hdmi.
I think the thrive can only output 720p.

This is the best looking android game being played smoothly on the cheapo pandigital planet:

If you have the newer model ( check if it's running 2.3.4 gingerbread natively and has 512mb ram) then rooting should be a piece of cake with Spz0's rom. Just follow the simple instructions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just check my amazon app store under "my devices" and found my Thrive and the AMlogic PD_Novel.

I don't have the tablets with me, they are with my sister in law so checking them is not that simple. once they get the Thrive I think I will root one of them.

Its seems like a nice device from the outside, but once you start playing with it it seems like a waste.

[quote name='tinfoil' timestamp='1327374467' post='304213']
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pandigital-Planet-7-Color-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-eBook-Reader-Featuring-2GB-Memory-Front-Camera-Android-2.3-GingerBread-Operating-System/16681577

According to walmarts website, they say it is 512mb ram model. It might be the newer version.

2gb is internal memory. But it's more like 1.5 gb and half of it is used for system files. So a micro sd card is a must.

They already bought a thrive from amazon eh? Oh well.

The pandigital planet is actually pretty powerful, due to its GPU. But is bogged down by its bloatware.

Once rooted and bloatware uninstalled it is a pretty decent budget tablet. Can even output 1080p through hdmi.
I think the thrive can only output 720p.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi LK
I had the same prob with mine, I just got it last Fri
it came in a box marked that it had the Kindle app, but it really had the B&N
I installed Kindle, after the Amazon app store, and got the same result - crash
it came with FW 06072011
after updating FW to 12282011 Kindle works fine now
hope this helps, if you still have them
good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought 2 for my kids from Big Lots. I think I have an older one, but what is the easiest way to tell? If its the old version, should I return them and buy new ones at Walmart? Tried to install a few games from Amazon App store, and most of them crash. Pretty unhappy so far. I need to get Angry Birds running, the kids love it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, update. The kids haven't played with the tabs since March and have since gotten a Toshiba Thrive. So they gave me the tabs to sell. I decided to have them rooted, I found a computer shop locally that did it for me. Still having issues trying to get the Android Market place APP installed. Does anyone have a good link to a download?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts