Registered
211 Posts
List of guides to choose from:

Backup Your Tablet
Restore Your Tablet
Completely Destroy Your Tablet
Install ICS On Your Tablet

Important Things To Take Note Of:

1.All guides use the zip file contained within this post. You will have to open the zip, open the .7z file within, and then extract the contents to your Desktop.[/b]

2. All guides require the use of a Windows XP,Vista or 7(32bit/64bit) PC, and this version of 7-zip, which you can download: Here.

3. If you've really broken your partition structure it is likely you won't have a Hannspree logo, in which case wait a few seconds, and once it's blank with the power light on, consider it in APX.

4. Also, if your partition structure has been modified by a ROM, your buttons may be reversed, so PLUS may become APX mode, while minus will be Recovery, be aware of this.

5. I take no responsibility for any damage this does to your system/tablet, you use it at your own risk!

6. I rarely visit/login these days, so there is little point sending me PMs, Profile comments or direct replies here for my attention.
That said the community here is good, and you'll be an unlucky person that doesn't get a response to your cries for help.

7. If you have problems downloading the zip file or if it's a corrupt download, firstly make sure you're logged into the forums and secondly download the file again using a file download manager such as Free Download Manager or if you use firefox the DownThemAll! addon.

8. The RunME.bat file now includes an option to restore just CWM's recovery partition to your tablet, this can be very useful!

9. Should NVFlash ever fail to work, then you _MUST_ unplug your tablet from your PC (safely eject it), turn your tablet off, and then turn it back on into APX mode. Failure to remember to do this will result in such an error as "command failure: bootloader download failed" or it may just stick at saying "Nvflash started" and do nothing at all.

10. I have continually bricked my device, from bad rom installs, constant recovery mode bootups (arrgghh-annoying!) and even not being able to enter recovery at all. It is scary when you break your tablet, but with any luck it isn't as bad as it seems - my tablets still going, and in all cases (since creating it) I've relied on this zip (in its many versions) to restore it.

11) One further piece of advice, sometimes you can get away with just installing CWM again, and then using a pc to transfer the stock update.zip or your own CWM backups to the usb storage and just restoring them - saves alot of bother when it works

APX Mode:

1. To enter NVFlash/APX mode on your tablet, start up the tablet with the usb cable plugged into your computer while holding the Volume MINUS key down, after the Hannspree logo your screen should go blank, but the power/battery light will still be lit.

2. Then on your PC, right click on My/Computer, select Manage, and in the left pane click Device Manager).

3. Right click on the UnKnown hardware (or it may say APX Device with a yellow exclamation mark), and set it to install (locate driver manually) the usb driver contained within the APX USB folder (NvidiaUsb.inf).

4. Wait a couple of minutes to let everything update so the computer can find the device

5. Now click the 'Next' button, it is likely that Windows will complain that the driver is unsigned, so tell it that you wish to continue with the driver installation regardless of this.

6. Once this is done, you can check to see if it was successfully installed by checking the taskbars 'safely remove hardware' icon (the one used for ejecting usb/thumb/pen drives).

7. If there is no device listed called 'APX' (or similar, sometimes it may display as Nvidia) then turn off your tablet, and repeat these steps again.

Recovery Mode:

1. To enter recovery mode on your tablet, start up the tablet while holding the Volume PLUS key down, at the Hannspree logo you should see 'Recovery Key Detected'.

2. Some of these guides will allow you to use a better recovery system than stock, in these recovery systems you use the volume PLUS/MINUS keys for scrolling, and the Home key for selecting. In the normal hannspad recovery you use the Volume keys, but for selecting you use the Power button.

Partition Structure Information:
BCT - The .bct file is a binary file version of the BCT Partition. It controls Internal hardware configuration. - part2.img
PT - Partition table (also binary, it seems to contain addresses where each partition starts). =============== - part3.img
EBT - ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? - part4.img
NVC - ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? - part5.img Likely to be Non-Volatile CACHE.
MBT - ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? - part6.img (My own guess is 'Master Boot Table'.)
BLO - Partition for the Boot Logo.============================================================================= - part7.img (First Hannspree logo - there are two that load up, both identical).
MSC - Partition for miscellaeneous data.======================================================================= - part8.img Misc partition, reckon it's your personal data, fake sdcard partition.
KLO - ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? - part9.img
OGO - ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? - part10.img
SOS - Recovery Partition.====================================================================================== - part11.img/recovery.img
LNX - Boot Partition.========================================================================================== - part12.img/boot.img
APP - Operating System (Android) Partition.==================================================================== - part13.img/system.img
CAC - ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? - part14.img (Some personal user data - don't share this!).

Click Here for the Alternative Download Mirror for the Hannspad_Backup_Recover_Destroy.zip file (non-ICS partitions version).

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Backup Your Tablet

This Backup Method will make both an NVFlash backup (so no modifications to your tablet) and a ClockWorkMod (CWM) backup for ease of use, though this backup may void your warranty, so it's up to you if you do both or not.

Part 1.

Unless you are keeping the original box the tablet came in (which has the serial number printed on a sticker on the side of the box) then you will want to do at least one of the following:

1. Write down your serial number (S/N) off the back of the tablet and keep it handy.

2. Use sellotape or clear nail varnish to stick over the sticker to preserve the ink for as long as possible.

Part 2.

1. Boot into APX mode.

2. Launch the RunME.bat file from the extracted zip and choose the backup menu item.

3. If all goes well it should create 13 partitions (partitions 2 - 14), as well as a hanns.bct and partitions.txt file.

4. If it says 'device not found' then attempt to enter APX mode again.

5. If it gets stuck while backing up a particular partition, stop the process, edit the bat file to remove the offending partition, and restart the process.
It is highly unlikely you'll ever be able to backup that partition. Though in saying that I had one that wouldn't backup, then weeks later it happily backed up.

6. Now burn these files to DVD, back them up on an external drive, or somewhere safe!

Part 3.

If you do not mind modifying your tablet, and risking your warranty, then the below instructions provide an easier backup route, I still advise you to use the one outlined in part 2 regardless.

1. Load android, and plug the tablet into your pc. On the tablet, enable usb file transfer.

2. Put the update.zip file from the extracted zip in the root of the tablets usb storage.

3. Reboot into recovery mode, and choose "Apply Internal update.zip" and press the power button briefly.

4. Once the tablet reboots, re-enter recovery mode.

5. Use the volume keys to highlight "backup and restore", press the home soft-touch key to select it.

6. Ensure the "Backup" option is highlighted and press the home key again. It should start to back up the entire tablet to the internal storage of the tablet. This will take a few minutes.

7. You can now reboot the tablet by pressing the home key on the "reboot system now" option.

8. Cconnect the tablet via usb to your computer and backup the ClockworkMod folder contained within the storage area of the device to DVD, external harddrive disk etc.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Restore Your Tablet

This Recovery Method can recover a bricked device to its original stock state, or it can be used to recover your tablet to your own NVFlash backup files (as created in the first guide).

Part 1.

1. Hannspree have now changed the method in which new updates are done (they're now a wifi download directly to the tablet itself).

2. So please download the very first hannspad official stock rom update below (unless you already have an update.zip to use and can ignore step 3).

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5wr0kyzg91kzxwu

3. Extract the Original_Update.7z file to (eg) your desktop, and then repackage the files into an update.zip

4. Extract the update.zip file to your desktop.

5. If you are restoring to stock, open up the downloaded update.zip file and extract the boot/system.img files to the NVFlash folder otherwise use your own backup parts-12/13.img.

6. Then if you are restoring to stock, rename system.img to part-13.img and rename boot.img to part-12.img

7. Once this is done, with the tablet powered off, plug in its usb cable, and connect it to the computer and enter APX mode.

8. IF you do not have a part-14.img file to restore (which if returning to stock you will not have) go into the NVFlash folder, and open the 'hannsconf.cfg' file. Navigate to the last [partition] entry named 'CAC' and delete 'filename=part14.img' and set the 'size=254017536' to 'size=0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF'.

9. Now run RunME.bat and choose the restore option.

Part 2.

1. Please now turn off your tablet after using the 'safely remove hardware' ony our computer to safely eject your tablet.

2. Now enter recovery mode.

3. If restoring to stock, select 'Wipe Data/Factory Reset' and choose 'yes' to wipe. This may be needed if you have your own partition backups, you will find out if your tablet crashes alot.

4. Now once again with Volume-Plus/Minus, navigate to 'yes --wipe data' and press your 'Home' key again to perform the wipe. This is important, especially if you are trying to recover a bricked device.

5. Once this is complete, you will be returned to the main menu.

6. If you are returning to a stock state, plug the tablet back into the PC and navigate your way through the recovery menu to 'mounts and storage' and then 'mount USB storage'.

7. Copy and paste the 'update.zip' file over onto your device. Once this is done, safely remove the tablet and then press on your tablets 'back' button twice to return you to the main CWM menu.

8. Now 'apply sdcard:update.zip' and then Yes - Install /sdcard/update.zip'.

9. Please ignore the error messages 'E:unknown command [bootloader]' as this is caused by CWM not having the ability to flash the bootloader, and is perfectly normal.

10. Reboot the tablet once done, you are now back to a stock state tablet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Completely Destroy Your Tablet.

There may be times (such as selling your tablet, clutching at straws with a truly bricked tablet etc) where you wish to make completely sure the tablet is wiped as clean as you can get it.

Remember that even if the method works as it should (no guarantee) there may still be some bits,bytes etc etc of readable data despite this, but it should give you better peace of mind than the standard erase data function.

This method works in a similar way to both Sm0k3d0uT's G-Tablet format (it uses some of his partition files for this) and Darik's Boot And Nuke (D.B.A.N).

Basically what you're doing to the tablet is this:

1) Replacing all the partitions (except boot, recovery, system and cache) with those of the G-Tablet Format utility by Sm0k3dOuT.
2) Replacing the boot, recovery, system and cache partitions with customised partitions which solely contain files full of random data (thus making recovery of your files near-impossible).
3) Erasing over the SDCard with random data (you must do this step manually) which once again makes recovery of your files near-impossible.

Part 1.

1) Download these three files:

Part1: http://www.mediafire.com/?h69zr38c6d0zuzp
Part2: http://www.mediafire.com/?66mdrjnu9x4vvf7
Part3: http://www.mediafire.com/?93ot52lhvz7ddjz

2) Using 7-Zip, open the .001 file, open the .7z within, and finally extract the .img files and randomtext.7z file into your NVFlash folder.

3) Go into APX mode.

4) On your pc, run RunME.bat and choose the destroy option.

5) Once it's completed, unplug the tablet and then boot it back into APX mode, then install the CWM boot loader.

6) Mount the USB storage so that Windows can access it, occasionally Windows will demand you let it format the drive before use.

7) Exctract the rand1-6.txt file into your storage space. Once finished, do another Factory Reset, and restore your tablet to stock settings as detailed in the other guide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This worked o.k. for me on Linux. Instead of running the batch file just type the nvflash command at the prompt. No need to search for drivers either
. The KDE Ark extracted the files o.k. also
Many thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
it didn't work for me. :/ can't start my hannspad anymore now.

i wanted to restore it and did all the steps of "part 1", but now i can't get into the recovery mode (yes, now volume plus key down) of "part 2" .. it's just a black screen and the battery light is green.
while running restore_hannspad.bat, there was this message in the end: "file not found: part-12.img failed executing command 2147483647 NvError 0x4 command failure: create failed"

i really would appreciate if someone can help me!

·
Registered
91 Posts
it didn't work for me. :/ can't start my hannspad anymore now.

i wanted to restore it and did all the steps of "part 1", but now i can't get into the recovery mode (yes, now volume plus key down) of "part 2" .. it's just a black screen and the battery light is green.
while running restore_hannspad.bat, there was this message in the end: "file not found: part-12.img failed executing command 2147483647 NvError 0x4 command failure: create failed"

Me too. I cannot get back into recovery. Everything else went fine but wether I use + or - with Power I get black APX mode ....

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi! I had exactly the same problem. Fortunately the fix is quite simple - just change filesizes in the hannsconf.cfg file to whatever your part-12 and part-13 size is. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have followed these instructions down to a T and cannot seem to recover my Hannspad. The problem comes once I have flashed the tablet and come to section 2. I safely remove the device then when I powerdown the tablet and try to reboot into recovery (either using the power button, power button & Vol+ or power button & Vol-) I go straight back into APX mode everytime.

I have tried running the stock restore V3 to no avail either.

Can anybody offer any more assistance? I have had a few posts at the end of the thread below which will add a bit more back ground info.
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/206...t-2011/page__pid__279704__st__240#entry279704

Any help on this is greatly appreciated guys and girls!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have followed these instructions down to a T and cannot seem to recover my Hannspad. The problem comes once I have flashed the tablet and come to section 2. I safely remove the device then when I powerdown the tablet and try to reboot into recovery (either using the power button, power button & Vol+ or power button & Vol-) I go straight back into APX mode everytime.

I have tried running the stock restore V3 to no avail either.

Can anybody offer any more assistance? I have had a few posts at the end of the thread below which will add a bit more back ground info.
http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/206...t-2011/page__pid__279704__st__240#entry279704

Any help on this is greatly appreciated guys and girls!
I had the same problem.
I solved it by putting the img-11, img-12 and img-13 files (renamed files trom the official stock rom)in the NVFlash folder.
I had to overwrite the img-11 filw, the other files didn't already exist in the nvflash-folder, so i think the lack of these files was the problem.
After that, the problem was solved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
worked for me... needed to add the part-12 and part-13 to the nvflash folder. crucial, as was stuck without it! thanks guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a serial for a 53 model as I bought my tablet off ebay and it didn't come in the original box. I recently bricked my device when I accidently erased the memory making the SD card unmountable.

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gonna follow this guide tonight when I get home from work as I'm currently stuck when booting at the logo. Hope it all works ...

1 - 20 of 138 Posts